Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 5:50 AM
Default Tutorial: How to get rid of unwanted memories (global mod)
Every once in a while I get this request, so I've decided to finally fulfill it.
In this tutorial I'll explain how to stop spawning of memories you don't want.
It's based on my No More Stupid Memories! project.

What you will need:
1. SimPE 2. The Sims Wiki's List of Memories for reference

This is very easy, so let's start:
1. Think of one or more memories you want to get rid of. Make a little list if you have to and keep in mind EP it came with. If you need, consult The Sims Wiki's List of Memories. I'll work on "Ate Grilled Cheese" memory which, according to the List, came with Nightlife.

2. Open SimPE. Click File - Open In - and choose corresponding EP (for me it's Nightlife, obviously).

3. In this window choose Objects directory and then objects.package file. Click Open.

Now HERE COMES THE WARNING! This is a core game files package - don't click anything, don't mess with it and if you accidentaly do - in any case DON'T COMMIT OR JUST CLOSE WITHOUT SAVING! You can seriously damage your game installation, so be warned!

4. In Resource Tree on your left, choose Object Data (OBJD). Sort Resource List by name and wait until it loads.

5. Scroll down until you find "Memory - ..." type files.

6. This is a bit tricky part. Memories are often referenced differently in game files. You won't find the exact title from Wiki's List, but if you read the titles carefully, you won't miss the one you need. Pay attention that memories are grouped by Category (Family, Wealth etc) and sometimes - by EP.
It wasn't hard for me to find "Memory - EP2 - Eat Grilled Cheese". Once you've found yours, click on it and switch to Resource Tab on the bottom of SimPE window.

7. On the Resource tab find Group and copy the whole row of numbers and letters, then switch to Filter Resources on your right.
If there's no such button on your SimPE layout, you can go to Window menu and click Filter Resources, the button will appear.

8. In the opened Filter window paste your memory's Group ID into Group box. Click set (the first one). Watch all the files on Resource List disappear leaving only your Memory file

9. Swtch to Behaviour Function (BHAV) in Resource Tree section.

10. Click CT - Add Memory, right-click it and choose Extract. Browse to your desktop or some folder you can easily find.

11. Click File - New. SimPE will automatically close objects.package. In case it asks you to Commit/Save - don't!

12. Right-click blank space on Resource List and choose Add. Browse to place where you saved Extracted BHAV and open it.

13. Choose the only file here - CT - Add Memory and click on 0x1 Sub - Add Memory line.

14. Find Delete button on your right and click it. Don't be afraid, we cloned a piece of code so even if we do something wrong here, it won't affect your game files.

15. Now set True Target of the line to ReturnTrue and False Target to ReturnFalse. Then click Commit.

16. Your mod is ready, now click File - Save as - Browse to your Downloads to test right away. Load the game and create the conditions under which the memory spawns. You can consult Wiki's list again. If there's no memory, no lag, no error or jumping - I bet there's not - congrats!

Don't forget that some memories (like my example) are necessary to fulfill Lifetime Wants.
I never play as Grilled Cheese sims, so that's okay for me - you decide for yourself.
That's all, let me know if you need any additional information.
~DiLight.