Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 2:27 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is there a definitive objects.package?
I posted this in Stupid/Random, but maybe it wasn't quite stupid enough, though I would question that.

Can someone please educate me on objects.package for UC once and for all?

In the past, I thought I'd found the right objects.package in my program files, but then found that something I was trying to mod wasn't up to date.

I did a bunch of research and realized I needed a different objects.package (this one found under Pets, I think), and I thought that was the "recent" one.

Now, I realize that something I want isn't in that package. I do see the object I want to extract in the objects.package in Freetime, which I looked in because I know that object came along with Freetime, but what I want to know is, "how else would I know that?"

Is there ONE definitive objects.package in UC that contains ALL the objects, so I can use that file to find anything I need to extract or is this just a treasure hunt or what? How am I supposed to be doing this so I can find what I need and it's not just a random search or guessing every time?

Side question: If there's not just one definitive one, isn't the game loading all the object.packages with a lot of duplication? I would never bother with this, but if that's true, has anyone tried to get rid of all that duplication to increase performance?
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 3:01 PM
Each game has it's own objects.package, and for the most part each is unique, independent, and required. Some EP's replace elements of previous files to allow for the game features in the new EP. Sometimes these elements replace for the specific EP features that are added, and some add features from multiple EPs. Example, the OFB and Pets game engine encompass 5 and 4 game packs respectively.

Originally, each EP had to stand on it's own because each EP/SP was independently installed. Each set of game files includes any new features included in the EP. Generally, the next EP added on to the previous game features. Not all resources from previous games needed to be updated, so not all game files are identical. Those game files are what make up the UC. When they bundled the UC, they didn't change anything about the way an all EP/SP game worked. They simply removed all the previous game .exe files, and left the M&G one.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Each game has it's own objects.package, and for the most part each is unique, independent, and required. Some EP's replace elements of previous files to allow for the game features in the new EP. Sometimes these elements replace for the specific EP features that are added, and some add features from multiple EPs. Example, the OFB and Pets game engine encompass 5 and 4 game packs respectively.

Originally, each EP had to stand on it's own because each EP/SP was independently installed. Each set of game files includes any new features included in the EP. Generally, the next EP added on to the previous game features. Not all resources from previous games needed to be updated, so not all game files are identical. Those game files are what make up the UC. When they bundled the UC, they didn't change anything about the way an all EP/SP game worked. They simply removed all the previous game .exe files, and left the M&G one.

Thank you! So, how do I know where to look for certain objects? Cute Grinch.