Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 8:55 PM
Default The archieve is either in unknown format or damaged Help?
Ello! I happened to have downloaded a mod and when the option to what to open the mod with popped up, I clicked on WinRAR archive and it changed all my blank white script files to turn into the 3 stack of books and no longer say .package at the end. When I try to click to try and open them I get the "The archive is either unknown format or damaged" message. I can't open my uncorrupted files from the simsmods website, and the mod I downloaded from thesimsresource messed my files up completely and I don't know what to do. The other mods work in the game, but I can't download anymore mods because the file gets corrupted. I tried to change the destination from WinRAR archive to something else but nothing works. I uninstalled WinRAR and reinstalled but nothing has changed. I'm scared and hoping I didn't catch a virus or anything but I would like help if anyone knows how to solve this issue thank you so much in advance!!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 9:04 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jun 2018 at 9:15 PM.
Don't try opening package files or script files with Winrar, which I suppose is the problem you stumbled upon.

It's not a big deal if you set the files to open with Winrar, because the files will still work, but if the wrong icons bother you, this is the way to fix it:
If you have SimPE, S3PE or S4PE (either of these will work for this, but if you only use TS4, S4PE is the best option. S4Studio might also work), right-click a package file, then "open with..." and "choose standard program...". Then choose one of the above programs. This will reset package files to look like package files (they may get the program icon from the program you chose), and they'll in the future open with that program.

If the script files is the problem, I'm not entirely sure which program you'd use (unless it's notepad), but even if they've got the wrong icon they should still work, because they still have a package format. It's just the program they're set to open with that's changed. The game will be able to read them, and won't bother with the icon.