Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Packing Crates for TS4

by scumbumbo Posted 14th Jun 2015 at 9:16 AM - Updated 1st Mar 2019 at 2:54 AM by scumbumbo : Bug-fixes for Feb 21, 2019 Game Patch

315 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 222 Feedback Posts, 92 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 13
Test Subject
#76 Old 27th Jun 2015 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
The screenshot is fine, it looks like the site may be kind of buggy today after the upgrade. Your screenshots looked correct, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

I reread your original post, and just realized - are you trying to use the mod to take items from another lot? Because the menu item will only show up on a lot owned by the current household (their home lot, or an owned retail lot), at least currently.

I tried it on a generic lot first (the lot the sim was on when I loaded the game), and then the active household's home lot, and it didn't work on either lot (although I assume it not working on the generic lot is to be expected).
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#77 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 10:18 PM
I'm using the experimental version and just had two issues:

- I attempted to split a household, so I bought two crates, put some items in each and then put the crates in two sim's imventories. The entire household moved to the new lot together (I wanted the sim to be split off to move out from there), and when one of them put their crate in world, suddenly all the items in that were duplicated.

- The sim put its crate near the curb (but it was still on the lot), and when "Place In World"-ing objects out of there, some ended up on the curb where they became inaccessible (so the sim couldn't re-pack them either)

- This is more a cosmetic issue, but, when unpacking a crate would it be possible that the inventory view remains open? Right now I go Open > select item > Place in World, then the crate closes and I need to open it again. When moving a household full of stuff that gets a bit tedious.

This is in 1.8.whateveritisnow, with no GPs/EPs.

Also, curtains aren't packable it seems, is that by design?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Deceased
Original Poster
#78 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I attempted to split a household, so I bought two crates, put some items in each and then put the crates in two sim's imventories. The entire household moved to the new lot together (I wanted the sim to be split off to move out from there), and when one of them put their crate in world, suddenly all the items in that were duplicated.

Known bug, mentioned on the mod description page. The items are not actually duplicated, it's a very weird bug but doesn't really hurt anything other than cause confusion. If you unpack one of the items that appears to be duplicated, it will appear on the lot and yet still appear to be in the crate. If you click on the one in the crate you'll see that it is still actually referring to the original item (it's like the object is twinned). They both have the same object id, and the strangest thing of all is that looking at the internal inventory object it's not really there anymore. The UI just thinks it is. If you save the game and reload (or go to another lot, whatever it takes to make it reload the UI) the one in the inventory will then be good and properly gone. Wish I could fix it as yes, it's confusing as hell, especially if you're not expecting it.

I can only assume it's just something EA wasn't expecting (until this mod it wasn't possible to put an item that has an inventory INTO an inventory). The UI thinks there's a stack of items (all with the same object id) and the Python knows better.
The sim put its crate near the curb (but it was still on the lot), and when "Place In World"-ing objects out of there, some ended up on the curb where they became inaccessible (so the sim couldn't re-pack them either)

I'll look into that. I've never actually seen that one happen.
This is more a cosmetic issue, but, when unpacking a crate would it be possible that the inventory view remains open? Right now I go Open > select item > Place in World, then the crate closes and I need to open it again. When moving a household full of stuff that gets a bit tedious.

I agree. It's closing it automatically, but I should be able to force it back open again after my code runs ... maybe.
Also, curtains aren't packable it seems, is that by design?

That's odd, I can pack curtains (at least those that use the object_curtain_generic tuning (12EC1) - not sure why they wouldn't pack in your game. But my GUESS is that it's because you don't have GTW. The curtains have that sim ray affordance I mentioned when you were looking at the retail component. Without that affordance in your game that would leave the super affordance list empty and the mod won't add the SA. Likely you can't pack a lot of other objects then, e.g. those no view decoration objects. I guess I could add the SA anyway if you (or anyone without GTW I guess) are willing to test that. I skipped it in the script as I wasn't sure that adding SAs to something that had none was a good idea.

@plasticbox - Thanks for the feedback.
@The_Only_Zac - Perhaps this last issue plasticbox mentions is the issue you're facing? Do you have GTW?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#79 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 11:50 PM
Woops, sorry, didn't see you had the twin objects mentioned already. The way you describe it makes sense, thanks for the explanation!

I'll look into that. I've never actually seen that one happen.

It seems to always happen in my game when sims have just moved into a lot (are still standing on the curb) and then the first thing I do is have them place the crate in world .. they will sometimes place the crate on the curb as well. See the screenshot!

I can pack curtains (at least those that use the object_curtain_generic tuning (12EC1) - not sure why they wouldn't pack in your game.

It was the curtains from here http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=549396 (they have that 12EC1 tuning, I just checked).

But my GUESS is that it's because you don't have GTW. The curtains have that sim ray affordance I mentioned when you were looking at the retail component. Without that affordance in your game that would leave the super affordance list empty and the mod won't add the SA. Likely you can't pack a lot of other objects then, e.g. those no view decoration objects. I guess I could add the SA anyway if you (or anyone without GTW I guess) are willing to test that. I skipped it in the script as I wasn't sure that adding SAs to something that had none was a good idea.

I can test, sure =)

Or what I could also try .. maybe they would be packable in debug mode? -- ETA: Hm no, I only get Set As Head and Reset Object. NVM ..
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#80 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 12:13 AM
@The_Only_Zac - Perhaps this last issue plasticbox mentions is the issue you're facing? Do you have GTW?

No, I don't have any EPs or SPs (except for that free winter-holiday-whatever pack), but it's not letting me pack anything in the crate, not just curtains. I clicked on a couch, a fridge, a trash can, a microwave, basically everything on my sim's home lot, and nothing works. Also, things that normally can't be interacted with still have no interactions, like end tables and counters.
Deceased
Original Poster
#81 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 12:26 AM Last edited by scumbumbo : 18th Jul 2015 at 7:19 PM.
I can test, sure =)

Well, I guess I walked into that one... Assumed that you'd say "Nah, don't bother going to the trouble."

OK, a test version of the script is attached. It may not change anything in your game as it still tests to ensure that the object has the _super_affordances attribute - I'm not sure how that would be added, would take some researching. But now if it's None it will add the two affordances to it as a new tuple, and I'm pretty sure that will be the case for those items.

This download is ONLY intended to be used by experienced mod testers - it shouldn't crash your game or anything, but it may be possible to put obejcts into crates that shouldn't be, possibly causing weird problems. I would start by doing "Save As" and save your game to a test copy. If you do run into anything that now has the pack menu item but doesn't pack or unpack properly, please let me know the tuning ID number of the object so I can blacklist that object. You can use D3OI to get the tuning ID, it will show up as the guid64 of the object if you do the debug show on that object.

ETA (July 18) - This seemed to work well and is now part of the download rather than an experimental replacement script.
Deceased
Original Poster
#82 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by The_Only_Zac
No, I don't have any EPs or SPs (except for that free winter-holiday-whatever pack), but it's not letting me pack anything in the crate, not just curtains. I clicked on a couch, a fridge, a trash can, a microwave, basically everything on my sim's home lot, and nothing works. Also, things that normally can't be interacted with still have no interactions, like end tables and counters.

Yeah, a couch should definitely work with the base game. Is your game fully patched? This mod is likely not compatible with a game that is not up to at least a relatively recent patch level.
Test Subject
#83 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 1:56 AM
Yeah, a couch should definitely work with the base game. Is your game fully patched? This mod is likely not compatible with a game that is not up to at least a relatively recent patch level.

I'm pretty sure my game is fully patched because it auto-updates through Origin (when there's an update it doesn't let me play the game unless it downloads), but my gameversion.txt is blank for some reason, so I don't know exactly what my patch level is. I definitely have the June 11 Newcrest patch, though.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#84 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 2:28 AM
@The_Only_Zac are you sure you still have script mods enabled? (Or did someone already ask that?) Patches seem to have a habit of turning that off ..

Test Subject
#85 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 3:23 AM
@The_Only_Zac are you sure you still have script mods enabled? (Or did someone already ask that?) Patches seem to have a habit of turning that off ..

Yes, I'm sure I have script mods enabled. If I didn't, my other script mods would have stopped working, and I would have noticed that.
Deceased
Original Poster
#86 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:01 AM
I decided I did not like the possibilities for conflicts with the experimental "auto on/off" for the pack menu, it was too prone to eventual hard to diagnose conflicts and just plain messy.

I decided to go with the hidden trait suggestion made by @DarkWalker and have uploaded an updated version of the mod that includes this feature. It's clean, convenient and far far less likely to cause conflicts with other mods.

@KuriXarya @Plasticbox and @egureh - Translations will need updates for the "Enable Packing" and "Disable Packing" strings. I didn't want to put those through Google translator and end up with possibly really stupid translations.
Deceased
Original Poster
#87 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:07 AM
Yes, I'm sure I have script mods enabled. If I didn't, my other script mods would have stopped working, and I would have noticed that.

Try updating to the most recent version, the package has been updated to switch the menu on/off in a much more compatible way. That could make a difference. After clicking a packing crate and choosing "Enable Packing" you should hopefully see the "Pack in Crate" menu now... hopefully...
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#88 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 9:04 AM
Awesome mod!
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 11:05 AM
Updated russian translation with two new strings.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  STBL_RUS.rar (816 Bytes, 10 downloads)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#90 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 1:33 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 29th Jun 2015 at 2:14 PM.
The German would be

Packen aktivieren
Packen deaktivieren

I'll send you an stbl ASAP but maybe you can also just drop in those two if you don't want to wait =)

Also, does it make sense to keep using/testing the last experimental script you posted with the new package?

Deceased
Original Poster
#91 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 4:20 PM
TI'll send you an stbl ASAP but maybe you can also just drop in those two if you don't want to wait =)

Also, does it make sense to keep using/testing the last experimental script you posted with the new package?

Thanks, I've updated the mod's German and Russian translations.

Yeah, the experimental script is still valid and still experimental. I need to know if it enabled more objects for someone without Get To Work. That main issue of curtains and other non-interactive items not being enabled I can't really test without uninstalling the EP which I'd rather not do.

The issue of it possibly enabling the menu on objects that won't pack/unpack properly I can test myself, I'll probably add some logging to track down suspect items. But if you do notice something let me know.

Oh, and I did look at the possibility of reopening the inventory window after unpacking an item - that will take some research and playing around to work out. It's definitely not just an easy XML fix. I was thinking of pushing a continuation on the sim to reopen the inventory, but the target object of unpacking is the item, not the crate itself. It should be possible, will just take a bit more work - it will have to be done in the script. I have a plan of attack for that.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#92 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:05 PM
Yeah, the experimental script is still valid and still experimental. I need to know if it enabled more objects for someone without Get To Work.

Ah -- sorry for not getting back -- yes it does! \o/ See screenshots; also I haven't seen anything with a Pack option yet that shouldn't have one (e.g. stuff that isn't on the lot still shows it greyed out or not at all, like trees and so on).
Screenshots

Test Subject
#93 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 8:12 PM
No matter what I do I can't get the pack in crate option I have script mods enabled I looked at your screenshots mine is installed exactly the same any ideas.
Field Researcher
#94 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 9:41 AM
Thanks for updating! Here is the Chinese translation.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  PackingCrate_0628_STBL-CN.zip (748 Bytes, 16 downloads)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#95 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 8:59 PM
Thanks for creating this. This will help me when I move my sims and I don't what to buy a bunch. :D
Test Subject
#96 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 12:36 AM
Try updating to the most recent version, the package has been updated to switch the menu on/off in a much more compatible way. That could make a difference. After clicking a packing crate and choosing "Enable Packing" you should hopefully see the "Pack in Crate" menu now... hopefully...

I downloaded the new version, clicked on the crate, and clicked "Enable packing," but still nothing has the "pack in crate" option. :/
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#97 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 7:39 PM
I'm in love with your description lol~ Thanks a tons!
Test Subject
#98 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 10:37 PM
I'm really confused on how to start the mod exactly. It just takes me to my downloads and it will be there. I haven't used this site for mods before. Please Help!
Deceased
Original Poster
#99 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 8:04 AM
I downloaded the new version, clicked on the crate, and clicked "Enable packing," but still nothing has the "pack in crate" option. :/

That's really strange, perhaps there's another mod that is conflicting with that somehow. Not sure what would do that, to be honest, but I'm not seeing what you could be doing wrong
Deceased
Original Poster
#100 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 8:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eliyeahyuh
I'm really confused on how to start the mod exactly. It just takes me to my downloads and it will be there. I haven't used this site for mods before. Please Help!

The mod comes as a zip file, you need to take the two files that are in that zip file (a package and another zip) and put those two files in the mods folder. So you should end up with two files in your mods folder, MTS_Scumbumbo_PackingCrate.package and MTS_Scumbumbo_PackingCrate_Script.zip).

Then turn on the option to enable script mods in your game options (it's on the "Other" tab in the game options) and restart the game if it tells you that you need to.
Page 4 of 13