Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 2:49 PM
Whenever someone mentions the TS3 user game folder in Documents, we mean the folder called The Sims 3. In Documents, inside of Electronic Arts.

Uninstall/Reinstall instructions if going there: https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do...nstall-on-a-mac
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Whenever someone mentions the TS3 user game folder in Documents, we mean the folder called The Sims 3. In Documents, inside of Electronic Arts.

Uninstall/Reinstall instructions if going there: https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do...nstall-on-a-mac

Thank you! I'll take a look
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 4:35 AM

Okay, to be honest, I am scared to do this. Why? Because you suggested super patcher to me, I tried it and it ruined my game. I'm sorry, but I honestly think that playing around with all the files and all that isn't a good idea because it might not work and it might mess up my game. I don't want to completely restart my game, I just want to get rid of the super patcher! That's the main problem, and I never had these problems before I used super patcher. I also have a website with downloadable horses, and they all have their own backstories, and I am so heartbroken to not be able to continue developing my website that I have put a tremendous amount of effort into. I don't want to try this method until I hear from someone who has tried it and it was successful.
I'm not fuming, just a bit pissed off.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 5:08 AM
TS3 for Mac is broken, has been since around half way through its development (if you can call it that). Again, EA made a mess of the entire thing and it's the only iteration of the game for which they did this. I lost all patience with it myself years ago, bootcamped Windows 7 onto my iMac, and am still playing the Windows version of the game that way today. The game still has issues, always will, but the Windows version is much more pleasant to work through. I'm not getting enough information about your Mac to know if bootcamp is even an option for you, and you probably wouldn't care to listen to anything further about it anyway.

I'm sorry that my assistance was of no use to you. I suggest that you make a presence on the official EA TS3 forums if you don't already have one and post on the TS3 Mac Discussions board to get Bluebellflora's attention. She is the author of the page I linked to above and the ultimate wizard of all things sims and Mac. Perhaps she and the other players there can give you better guidance. If I recognize you on that forum, I will step back and not respond. Could be mistaken, but it's not likely anyone else is going to offer up anything different here on this board, I'm afraid.

Good luck, hope you find a way to get this fixed one way or another.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 9:31 AM
TS3 for Mac is broken, has been since around half way through its development (if you can call it that). Again, EA made a mess of the entire thing and it's the only iteration of the game for which they did this. I lost all patience with it myself years ago, bootcamped Windows 7 onto my iMac, and am still playing the Windows version of the game that way today. The game still has issues, always will, but the Windows version is much more pleasant to work through. I'm not getting enough information about your Mac to know if bootcamp is even an option for you, and you probably wouldn't care to listen to anything further about it anyway.

I'm sorry that my assistance was of no use to you. I suggest that you make a presence on the official EA TS3 forums if you don't already have one and post on the TS3 Mac Discussions board to get Bluebellflora's attention. She is the author of the page I linked to above and the ultimate wizard of all things sims and Mac. Perhaps she and the other players there can give you better guidance. If I recognize you on that forum, I will step back and not respond. Could be mistaken, but it's not likely anyone else is going to offer up anything different here on this board, I'm afraid.

Good luck, hope you find a way to get this fixed one way or another.

So... it's not possible to reverse super patcher?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#31 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 10:14 AM
I fear you've lost igazor now as your helper. I haven't played the Sims on my Mac for ages and I'm rather sure that my current MacBook won't even play it, due to the hardware.
And, as far as I can see, the question on what hardware you use is still unanswered.
Click on the Apple symbol on the far left of your Finder menu and choose "About This Mac". The initial overview will tell you the OS version, the model name, the processor, amount of RAM and your graphics device. While I won't be able to help you there, maybe others can once they have this info.

Taking out the The Sims 3 folder from Documents/Electronic Arts and placing it somewhere else (e.g. Desktop or Downloads) will not damage or change the program. It's impossible for that to do this. But it will remove everything you've played from the game (Saves, Sims, downloads, mods). It's not lost, because it's still in the old folder and can be added later.
Once you've removed that folder and start the Launcher again the game will create a new user folder in Documents/Electronic Arts. This one is completely clean, unaffected by mods, downloads or anything you may have done to the old files in the old folder. Doing this can be necessary in order to tell whether your problems were caused by the program or hardware or whether the problems were caused by the user files.
Once you've created this new user folder by launching the game once, start a test game (in Sunset Valley for example) and check whether everything plays alright. This might also add further files to the user folder that the Launcher alone didn't.
Quit the game again and now try to download and install a sims3pack. If the problem persists you will have to go through further steps. If it is gone, then the problem was in your old folder and you should consider to not use that anymore and gradually transfer things from there to the new folder. Not in batches but one for one and start a test game every time to make sure that you are not carrying the old problem back into your new game.

Apart from that, as far as I can see Bluebellflora has a suggested solution for almost all the problems you have described so far: https://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-mac-help/ It won't hurt to read it all, because you will also begin to understand your Mac better.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 11:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
I fear you've lost igazor now as your helper. I haven't played the Sims on my Mac for ages and I'm rather sure that my current MacBook won't even play it, due to the hardware.
And, as far as I can see, the question on what hardware you use is still unanswered.
Click on the Apple symbol on the far left of your Finder menu and choose "About This Mac". The initial overview will tell you the OS version, the model name, the processor, amount of RAM and your graphics device. While I won't be able to help you there, maybe others can once they have this info.

Taking out the The Sims 3 folder from Documents/Electronic Arts and placing it somewhere else (e.g. Desktop or Downloads) will not damage or change the program. It's impossible for that to do this. But it will remove everything you've played from the game (Saves, Sims, downloads, mods). It's not lost, because it's still in the old folder and can be added later.
Once you've removed that folder and start the Launcher again the game will create a new user folder in Documents/Electronic Arts. This one is completely clean, unaffected by mods, downloads or anything you may have done to the old files in the old folder. Doing this can be necessary in order to tell whether your problems were caused by the program or hardware or whether the problems were caused by the user files.
Once you've created this new user folder by launching the game once, start a test game (in Sunset Valley for example) and check whether everything plays alright. This might also add further files to the user folder that the Launcher alone didn't.
Quit the game again and now try to download and install a sims3pack. If the problem persists you will have to go through further steps. If it is gone, then the problem was in your old folder and you should consider to not use that anymore and gradually transfer things from there to the new folder. Not in batches but one for one and start a test game every time to make sure that you are not carrying the old problem back into your new game.

Apart from that, as far as I can see Bluebellflora has a suggested solution for almost all the problems you have described so far: https://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-mac-help/ It won't hurt to read it all, because you will also begin to understand your Mac better.

I took the Sims 3 folder out of the Electronic Arts folder and put it on my desktop, opened the game and it said I needed to update my game. I clicked on see patch notes, and it said V 2.2. I went back into my launcher and clicked yes (to update), then went into my game to check the version and it says 1.67 .2.024017. I checked in the Electronic Arts folder, and a new Sims 3 folder was there. I tried moving my Mods Folder into my NEW sims 3 folder and it didn't have any affect on my game. So I'm guessing you need to reinstall it completely. And how do I restore my games (like the ones I had before I generated the new sims 3 folder)?
Site Helper
#33 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 3:54 PM
I seriously hope you are talking about removing the folder from Documents not Program Files

I've never used a Mac, which is why I have been staying quiet, but even on a Mac the game puts the files that are going to be common to every game into a folder in one place, which in Windows is called Program Files, and then puts the files that will change from one user to another into another folder in Documents. You should not be touching the files in Program Files. It's the Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder that you should be working with.

If you removed the one from Program Files, be very sure that the one that came from Documents which has all of your old saved games and CC is still in a very safe place before doing anything else. And at this stage, making a copy or two, especially on jump drives, might be a good idea. If you have it, you can restore it. If it's gone, it's gone. And I would suggest making sure you always have a recent copy of that folder even if you did not touch the Program Files folder. Even on Windows, Sims 3 is a bit weird. From things I've seen igazor posting, it's even worse on a Mac. If it's important, keep a backup.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#34 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 12:49 AM Last edited by Don Babilon : 25th Oct 2017 at 1:32 AM.
Fortunately, and I guess in this case it is indeed fortunate, it is not that easy to reach the proper program files on a Mac. You have to know how to open the app with some context menu magic in order to be able to have a look inside. All a regular user will see in the Applications (or Programs on PC) folder is the app's icon.

Modding TS3 before the introduction of the Mods framework in Documents was a real PITA, because you had to go very deep into the program structure to reach the The Sims 3 folder. (Of course this also meant that in the past some users began to experience issues when the program decided to create the user folder inside the program files and not in Documents, giving the impression that the game played without a user folder and no easy way to find your saves.)

TS3 for Macs runs on a Windows XP emulator that is wrapped inside the Cider framework, which is a modified version of Wine. Wine, I think, is mainly used to get Windows apps to run under Linux and Unix based OSs without the need to have a full Windows emulator.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 4:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I seriously hope you are talking about removing the folder from Documents not Program Files

I've never used a Mac, which is why I have been staying quiet, but even on a Mac the game puts the files that are going to be common to every game into a folder in one place, which in Windows is called Program Files, and then puts the files that will change from one user to another into another folder in Documents. You should not be touching the files in Program Files. It's the Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder that you should be working with.

If you removed the one from Program Files, be very sure that the one that came from Documents which has all of your old saved games and CC is still in a very safe place before doing anything else. And at this stage, making a copy or two, especially on jump drives, might be a good idea. If you have it, you can restore it. If it's gone, it's gone. And I would suggest making sure you always have a recent copy of that folder even if you did not touch the Program Files folder. Even on Windows, Sims 3 is a bit weird. From things I've seen igazor posting, it's even worse on a Mac. If it's important, keep a backup.

I took it out of documents. Don't worry! The only problem was, I moved the Mods folder from my old Sims 3 file into the new one, ran my game but it didn't work. So I went back and reinstalled a mods folder then I wanted to replace the new one with the old one but I did it the other way around. Soooo I lost all my Mods. Oops. Luckily I had copies of .zip files for most of them and I ask WCIF on MTS so I went back into all those threads. So not much I can do about it now I guess.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 4:31 AM
I haven't tested my game with all the mods yet, so I will do that later today (I'm a lil' busy) and say how it went if the game works/doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zazzyzooo
I haven't tested my game with all the mods yet, so I will do that later today (I'm a lil' busy) and say how it went if the game works/doesn't work.

It's working fine! Yay! The game has been fixed. It took a while, but after a lot of help from everyone, it is working fine again. Thank you, everyone who helped, my game now works perfectly!
Site Helper
#38 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 2:05 PM
And, because he's probably ignoring this thread now:
@igazor

Since he does deserve to know that he has been thanked.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#39 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 6:10 PM
Not ignoring the thread, just glad that the OP got their game running again. And please keep the link to Bluebellflora's site handy that Don provided earlier in case something should go wrong in the future, she has a wealth of great information there and has been keeping it up to date for years.
Page 2 of 2