Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 2:33 PM Last edited by Mrmo : 22nd May 2018 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Updating thread
Default Random thoughts - moving to a newer system (Updated!!)
Hi all!

Just tossing this one in here as I got myself a new computer. Anyone who kows me know that "new" often means "older" and as I have thoughts of moving my sims 2 game to a newer platform I need to know what to update or if it is possible to run The Sims 2 as it is. Yes, I did read the sticky thread but still asks. The newer computer does have a slimmer chassi that makes it impossible to mount my old graphic card as it is "full size". The new chassi is built for "low profle" cards. It is possible that the two systems are quite equal but I can not decide if that's the case.

Anyway my new computer have this specs:
CPU: Intel core duo E4800 3GHz
GPU (Integrated): Intel Q45/Q43 Express
Ram: 2GiB (2slots empty)

Current setup:
CPU: AMD Phenom 8450 2.10GHz
GPU: ASUS EAH 4670 1GiB
Ram: 3GiB
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 4:15 AM
Have you already purchased this "new" computer?
That's not an "upgrade" in my book as you're going
- from a weak "cpu+ dedicated GPU"
- to a "not much better cpu+integrated gpu+less RAM" configuration

You'd also need to post the brand and model#s of the chassis so someone can see what can fit or not fit...or find RAM sticks to fit the motherboard's specs, etc.

Still, I'm not sure throwing more money at this problem would give you the satisfactory & improved gaming experiencing you'd expect from an "upgrade" exercise.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 3:45 PM
Yes, I did purchase this computer and it did not cost much! If I can not use it for my game I can always keep it for parts. I do not see what different it makes but OK, I give you the models/brands.

"New" computer: Compaq/Hewlett Packard ce7900.

"Old" computer: Packard Bell iMedia 8841.
(graphics gard replaced because the old one failed)
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2018 at 11:24 AM
I'm sure you can use the parts then...even though the hardware are for different chipsets, CPU and chassis size...

Well, that sure puts me in my place, didn't it? I'd thought to provide my own random thoughts as I noticed the thread has had no response...I won't continue where my thoughts are not welcomed and go spent my time off else where, then. Good luck and Happy New Year!
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2018 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
I'm sure you can use the parts then...even though the hardware are for different chipsets, CPU and chassis size...

Well, that sure puts me in my place, didn't it? I'd thought to provide my own random thoughts as I noticed the thread has had no response...I won't continue where my thoughts are not welcomed and go spent my time off else where, then. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Sorry, it was not my intention to be hard on anyone. Your thoughts/opinions are welcome but at the time I did not think that providing more info would make any difference as all makers do changes to their products from time to time. But I do understand why the sticky thread told me to tell what brand/model it was. If I did "step on your toes" I'm very sorry and I'm surely regret doing so. I do not want to start 2018 by making helpful members angry.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd May 2018 at 4:27 PM
Hi again.

Updating thread because my other track did lead to nothing.

Anyway, as I do have the money now I thought it would be a nice idea to go on whit the upgrade now. My first thought was to stick to Windows Vista and do a clean install (I had the "Home Premium" version but an friendly member on a swedish computer forum had a (legal, never used) copy of the "Ultimate" edition I could bay if I wanted). But a computer store I asked about parts told me that Vista might not work well on newer hardware and told me to use Windows 10 instead. So how hard is it to install and run the Sims 2 on a Windows 10 machine? I thought I'v seen some threads about problems whit Sims 2 and this operating system. Give me your thoughts. I can not give you any spec because I have not ordered any parts yet (and when I do the computer will be unbranded because it's just going to be a mix of parts).
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd May 2018 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
So how hard is it to install and run the Sims 2 on a Windows 10 machine?

You should ask here: http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=558