Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 8:55 PM
Default Creating an Alternative to Simblr, Suggestions Please!
I have been doing web development for five years now (I started by coding themes on tumblr and moved on to wordpress and general full-stack development after a bit). I've always hated how buggy tumblr was, and the big purge has basically turned me off the platform for good. I chose mastodon and pillowfort for fandom and personal posting, but felt that no existing platform could really offer the same experience as simblr. So I made the decision to create a social network for simmers.
Features I'm considering implementing:
- following functionality similar to twitter
- no character limit on posts
- ability to embed videos in a post
- community groups for discussion (i know forums exist but this would be handy to have)
- blacklisting ability
- ability to block nsfw content
- 18+ age requirement (no verification so obviously teens will sneak in, but I don't want minors anywhere near wicked whims or basemental drugs)
- ability to co-author posts for collabs
- reblogging function similar to tumblr
- tag system for global tags and user-specific tags (this is a pillowfort feature iirc)
- ability to create photo albums for stories/gameplay images/cc thumbnails/poses/etc
- private messaging as well as publicly posted asks like tumblr
- optional extra text by name like flairs on reddit
The site will need testers at first and will be in closed beta for a while, but I hope for it to eventually become a place for the sims community to share our creations and interact with each other.
Any input as to what you'd like to see in this new platform would be invaluable, as I am working on it solo right now and have no close friends with simblrs or who are active in the community beyond downloading mods.
I am currently in the planning phase of my project and have not yet begun coding anything or creating the site. When it is available for testing I will post on every sims-related platform I have an account on. I'm posting this on LoversLab, Reddit, MTS, and S4S.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 9:21 PM
Would it be limited to simming content?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 9:26 PM
Oh well this sounds nice. I'm up for this actually no matter that I do not use sims social media outside of this site, But your envisionment of this sounds fun so I'm willing to give it a shot.

I do know how to make a good looking site with CSS/HTML but I know nothing beyond that point XD. If you need any help I can try but I'm mostly busy lately. However I wouldn't mind testing things out, I love a well made site :D

What I want to ask is... how do you plan to implement account service? And what about protection?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 11:51 PM
Make sure that the people in the Sims 2 and Sims 3 forums know about this too. Some of them might like to help out with this. (I'm useless with social media, so I don't think I'd be able to help much.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Oh well this sounds nice. I'm up for this actually no matter that I do not use sims social media outside of this site, But your envisionment of this sounds fun so I'm willing to give it a shot.

I do know how to make a good looking site with CSS/HTML but I know nothing beyond that point XD. If you need any help I can try but I'm mostly busy lately. However I wouldn't mind testing things out, I love a well made site :D

What I want to ask is... how do you plan to implement account service? And what about protection?

what specifically do you mean by account service and protection?

i'm using socialveo to create the site since it seems like it'd be the best option in terms of hosting and software, as well as tech support if i run into issues due to having limited experience with php coding, and my license purchase won't be complete until monday due to the package i bought also including a domain name and hosting, and all of that being taken care of by them (i could have done it myself, but the most affordable option for me was to buy the package including setup rather than paying the inordinately expensive price to purchase a license to the software wherein i could host it myself) which takes one business day. there were other options i could have used but as far as features built into the source code this was the only one in my price range with this level of flexibility.

on monday i'll get my first look at the source code i'll be working with and be able to have more information for you all. at my day job i work sunday, tuesday, and thursday, so i'll be working on the site mainly on fridays and saturdays. this is new territory for me as i'm used to mainly working with either static web pages or wordpress, having limited experience writing my own php code rather than editing or adding to existing code, so it may take a while for me to figure out the best way to develop this site using the software/source code i've chosen.

if anyone is interested in supporting the site financially, i will eventually provide details to donate toward it. i won't make donations available until i get the site up and running, and i make sure there is a definite interest in it and it wouldn't be wasting money to get better hosting and more freedom to develop it the way i want. those donations would go toward purchasing a permanent license to use the software with my own hosting and move the site's hosting to a different service while keeping the same software.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Would it be limited to simming content?

it would be mainly geared toward simming content but there would be no rules against unrelated content being posted on occasion as long as it was not against the terms of service.

i'm currently brainstorming for terms of service and have a fair idea of what would and would not be allowed, basically all legal content would be allowed. there would be rules against posting links to pirated software, posting about child or toddler age sims in a sexual context (posting about child sims crushing on each other or doing age-appropriate romantic things is fine), hate speech against anyone, threats of violence or doxxing, actual real-life nsfw images including graphic violence, discussion of politics (i don't care what your political beliefs are, as long as you don't post about them on this site you're allowed to use it), spamming, harrassment, posting nsfw sims content without tagging it as such, anything related to nazis, negative comments about others' choices in their gameplay (constructive criticism is allowed if asked for). basically no illegal activity, no real-life graphic content, and be nice to each other. i have yet to decide whether posts related to the zoophilia mod on loverslab would be banned or just require being tagged as violence/animal abuse and images being under spoilers.

it would be more lenient toward other video game content rather than, say, posting about how you saw a cute squirrel at the park with pictures or something, but nothing that complies with the TOS would be required to be deleted unless it was taking up the majority of your posts. as long as you mainly stick to the sims as your topic of posting, you're free to post whatever you want on occasion. spamming non-sims-related content wouldn't be allowed, so as long as you don't go crazy with it you'd be fine.
One Minute Ninja'd
#7 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 3:29 PM
It sounds like a great idea, if a bit ambitious. How are you going to insure bandwidth and scalability if it takes off? And have you considered how you will monitor content to assure it falls within you TOS (which are generous and appropriate to a simming community)? Maintaining a Simbler can itself be time consuming but managing an entire platform, along with reasonable review of content, can become an almost full time job. I applaud you for tackling it.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 9th Dec 2018 at 3:42 PM
I could help you along a bit.

Where do you come from? Do you live in EU or US? I'm just wondering what EU requires when it comes to adult people only. You will then require people to register to read even? I guess to keep the most annoying nude content away we could just go for Facebooks "file a report" system, and if the language is only English it wouldn't be that hard to police.

For me I would like big pictures and many of them, with some text for the important notices.

Wordpress doesn't cost anything and still manages to stay on top. It can be done, but it requires eiher an active community or a payservice.