Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 10:21 PM
Default Getting rid of Origin
How the HECK can we play this once EA runs it into the ground when we have to go through Origin to start it up? Surely someone has a workaround, right?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 10:49 PM
You can buy everything again during a Steam sale, usually 4 times a year and $5 per EP/SP.
You can buy the disks, but you have to start with a Basegame disk older than a given year... I forgot which year, but the back of the box does not say you need internet access to play, only need internet access to down load CC, it should say "Access to online services including simpoints and downloads requires an internet connection, EA account and Game Registration with the enclosed serial code."

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 12:33 AM
I suspect that should Origin ever shut down, and should Steam also ever shut down, and should our PCs still be able to run TS3 at that point (all of which are realistic scenarios),
TS3 will require either a used copy off eBay or an entirely different, unspecified type of digital download.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I believe that year was 2012, but if I'm wrong, I suspect Don will chime in and shake his finger at me. It won't be first time nor the last.

All my disks were purchased before 2012. I don't have to use Origin or Steam.

(Shakes finger at Don instead) No particular reason, just seemed like the thing to do.

Negotiating a 1.67 (non-Origin) install requires a base game disc manufactured before Sept. 2012 plus an all-disc install of all of the EP/SPs while the pack discs can be of any vintage, or a trade-off for Steam as mentioned.

The players to feel sorry for right now are those on the Mac version of the game who also want or need to stay current with OS X. In addition to having a crippled game to begin with, the next version of the Mac operating system beyond High Sierra will reportedly refuse to run 32-bit applications; OS X has been 64-bit for much longer than Windows in the mainstream has and Apple is reportedly pulling the plug on the legacy apps. Subject to change or extensions without notice at this point, of course, but from the sound of it that will be the end of TS3 for Mac (for those who stay current) when it happens as it is 32-bit only just like its Windows sibling.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 5:49 PM
I have the steam variant and launch the game separately from steam. Which is why sims3 only has a few hours on record when in reality I probably have about 700 lol
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueLeafeon
I have the steam variant and launch the game separately from steam. Which is why sims3 only has a few hours on record when in reality I probably have about 700 lol

With a steam install, you can by-pass steam and launch directly into the game from ts3W.exe and into the launcher Sims3Launcher.exe.... similar to the old 1.67 Origin install and how you could bypass Origin.

Sims are better than us.
Test Subject
#7 Old 12th May 2018 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
(Shakes finger at Don instead) No particular reason, just seemed like the thing to do.

Negotiating a 1.67 (non-Origin) install requires a base game disc manufactured before Sept. 2012 plus an all-disc install of all of the EP/SPs while the pack discs can be of any vintage, or a trade-off for Steam as mentioned.

The players to feel sorry for right now are those on the Mac version of the game who also want or need to stay current with OS X. In addition to having a crippled game to begin with, the next version of the Mac operating system beyond High Sierra will reportedly refuse to run 32-bit applications; OS X has been 64-bit for much longer than Windows in the mainstream has and Apple is reportedly pulling the plug on the legacy apps. Subject to change or extensions without notice at this point, of course, but from the sound of it that will be the end of TS3 for Mac (for those who stay current) when it happens as it is 32-bit only just like its Windows sibling.

Poor me with my OS Sierra and origin copies

I've lost my base game disc, so that makes everything pretty worthless, especially since you had to buy Mac only versions HAHAHA.
I do have pets and night life on a disc though.

But I imagine you'll still be able to use Origin to play. There's lots of old old games on there, and since sims did have a good run, I bet it'll stick around (fingers crossed)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 13th May 2018 at 1:12 AM Last edited by igazor : 13th May 2018 at 1:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by rustychase
Poor me with my OS Sierra and origin copies

I've lost my base game disc, so that makes everything pretty worthless, especially since you had to buy Mac only versions HAHAHA.
I do have pets and night life on a disc though.

But I imagine you'll still be able to use Origin to play. There's lots of old old games on there, and since sims did have a good run, I bet it'll stick around (fingers crossed)

The discs don't work on recent versions of OS X anymore, so you actually aren't missing much. The later operating systems refuse to read them for authentication for some reason. Everyone on El Capitan and forward had to switch over to Origin for Mac. But Origin for Mac isn't required to start up the game like it is on Windows, for those who have Origin controlled games, only to install it. One can still do up a Launcher bypass and start the Mac version of the game directly (for now).
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th May 2018 at 1:43 AM
If this is true then I better get my ass to a store to buy a USB drive so I can save install files, since my computer has no disc drive. Which most likely all computers will eventually have no disc drive and everything will go digital. So I don't know, we better come up with a plan if this can happen one day. (O_O)" I pray to every god I know of that it does not though, that would be the end of my life as well as the franchise... That is if I am still hooked on the game by that time, I don't know if I will be, but so far I have been into sims 3 specifically since 12 and now I am 19 at the time of this reply.
Test Subject
#10 Old 13th May 2018 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
The discs don't work on recent versions of OS X anymore, so you actually aren't missing much. The later operating systems refuse to read them for authentication for some reason. Everyone on El Capitan and forward had to switch over to Origin for Mac. But Origin for Mac isn't required to start up the game like it is on Windows, for those who have Origin controlled games, only to install it. One can still do up a Launcher bypass and start the Mac version of the game directly (for now).

Oh man, I didn't even know that. I've been looking at a windows partition (since now my 500GB hard drive in my laptop has been upgraded to 1TB muahahahaha) so just put the start up on the partition and use the hard drive, since I believe origin doesn't discriminate operating systems?? I know some people using Linux based systems who plays Sims 2 at least.

Quote: Originally posted by KuraiNekoMT13
If this is true then I better get my ass to a store to buy a USB drive so I can save install files, since my computer has no disc drive. Which most likely all computers will eventually have no disc drive and everything will go digital. So I don't know, we better come up with a plan if this can happen one day. (O_O)" I pray to every god I know of that it does not though, that would be the end of my life as well as the franchise... That is if I am still hooked on the game by that time, I don't know if I will be, but so far I have been into sims 3 specifically since 12 and now I am 19 at the time of this reply.

I hate the no disc drive thing when it started coming around. I think my MacBook is the last one to actually have one. I hate that fact because you already spend a thousand dollars and an arm on the laptop, why would I spend more on an external disc drive. I still burn my own CDs for the car and rip DVDs
19 is so young goodness me.

I feel like my solution to this is everyone just learn how to mod