Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 5:01 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can I have a little advice from experienced sims 2 players?
Heyy
I've been modding s2 this past week and today I encountered one nhood deco tree that crashes my game (if I just dare to place it in my hood). So I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea what is it that could potentially be the reason? The Oak tree is simsinsania t4 to ts2 conversion here

At first I thought it might've been a graphic related issue and so I did Jessa's graphic fixes here and also did anything that was mentioned by mara here but the tree still causes a crash.

So yeah, any idea what makes that tree crash my game? (I do have tons of hood deco in my downloads folder already, so maybe it's some sort of conflict or...)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 5:36 PM Last edited by Kankritty : 24th Apr 2018 at 5:49 PM.
Are you able to turn on "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" and see the notice/object error it gives you upon recreating the crash? (see the link in my signature if you don't understand what it means)

Also, check your Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2>Logs folder for a crash report. Perhaps that'll help somehow.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 6:03 PM
Ok, I just ran s2 with the tree in downloads folder, and then placed the tree in hood mode and got the crash immediately. So, before the crash I turned on the testingcheats, but I couldn't see any other notice than the windows notice of: "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate." Then I checked the logs that were created from the minute I ran the game. I attached a picture of it. Looks like there are quite many error logs. Not sure where to start with and if it's alone the tree anymore causing problems to my game.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 8:53 PM
Most of those files are always present, and aren't anything to worry about. As you see, a lot of them are zero length files, suggesting that the game found nothing to report. The most recent files are the most likely ones to contain anything relevant. I'd look at AppErrors.log and Sims2Exception 2018.04.24 19.54.29.txt. The latter is (I believe) the error log file generated when the application crashed and is liable to contain useful information (useful at least for those with the expertise to understand it). Sims2Exception 2018.04.24 19.54.29.mdmp is a memory dump -- it is a binary dump of the relevant part of the computer's memory at the moment of the exception that caused the crash. I reckon it's probably only useful to someone with a detailed knowledge of the program's working and the computer's architecture; I wouldn't even know what program to use to open the file -- possibly a Hex editor.

Personally, unless I had a very strong reason for wanting it, I would probably just delete the tree that was causing the trouble. If you know its filename, you can delete it in Windows. If you don't know its filename, you should be able to delete it in-game by selecting it in the catalogue and using the "Delete Custom Content" icon at the bottom right hand side of the GUI:

If you backup your downloads folder (or the relevant part of it) before deleting the tree, you can identify the file that was causing the problem as the one that is in the backup but not in the current version.

Two suggestions to help obviate such problems in future:
1) If you don't do it already, use subfolders inside your Sims Downloads folder. It's much easier to find a file you're looking for that way.
2) Nowadays I usually install and try out CC in small batches, so I can quickly identify anything that causes a problem.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 9:56 PM
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 1:36 AM
Thanks for the helpful info andrewgloria! And thankfully I organize my downloads folder so much that someone should stop me. I know every file I have + pic of everything in case I forget. I'm crazy like that.

Anyway, sucks that the tree causes a crash for anyone who use it. I really wanted to have it, it's so prettyyy , If only I knew why it's a bad file. Maybe I should take the mesh and make into a new file, or go bother the original creator/convert'or'
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PuffyAmi
Anyway, sucks that the tree causes a crash for anyone who use it. I really wanted to have it, it's so prettyyy '

Maybe you will find these trees by CuriosB also pretty?
They did not crash my game and you can choose if you want them as flora (like maxis trees) or landmarks (like deco objects).
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 3:40 AM
Thanks @BinahLagoaty , those are better than nothing!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 6:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I looked at those the other day but didn't download.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 2:36 PM
My guess is that since they're not Seasons ready, they'll crash the game if you have Seasons installed. It's possible the Seasons code for the plant is broken somehow, if it's been either cloned from a non-Seasons friendly plant, or improperly cloned from a Seasons plant. I've come across other plants that pulled similar stunts, though most were in the plants/build section.

I think Gwenke (?) has a tutorial on fixing this somewhere, possibly at Sims2Artists - not sure if it'll work for Hood trees, though.