Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 12:57 AM
Default Face Overlay alpha issue in GIMP
Hi everyone. I'm making my first face overlay/detail/makeup and converting a scar. I was following the basic face overlay tutorial well enough but for some reason the alpha channel for my base texture is showing up completely black, both in GIMP and CTU no matter what color settings I choose. My RGB mask seems to have come out fine. I went to check my channels in GIMP and when I made the RGB channels invisible I saw my alpha was black. I've tried deleting the GIMP alpha and making my own with a layer mask but as soon as I apply my layer mask with the parts I want opaque white they turn black under the channel tab again. At first I thought this was some strange GIMP workflow feature but since it's showing up black in CTU as well I suppose it must not be. I've tried googling my problem to no avail. It also seems that when I try to recolor the alpha by hand painting it over with white does nothing. I've converted my image to greyscale as well. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 10:59 AM
Hiya!

I think the problem might be the layer settings but I can't reaaaaally say for sure if that's the case, could you maybe link your gimp file here or dds file so I can check it out?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 1:36 AM
Thanks for replying! I'll look around the settings in gimp and see what I can mess around with. In the meantime I'm attaching a rar with my xcf file.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  scargimpfiles.rar (124.3 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 3:56 AM
I fiddled around for forever in GIMP and couldn't really figure much out but I tried exporting to DDS and importing to CTU again and used the textures for both overlay sections in the textures tab under design and that seemed to do the trick. It doesn't look great but that's not down to any issue, I just need to practice! Thanks for the help, maybe I just needed to try fooling around with CTU as well. All that's left is to see how it looks in game~!
Screenshots