Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 9:08 PM
Default Ridiculous CPU usage the second CAW launches
As someone advised me in another thread, I wanted to see if I can simply edit one of the ready worlds in CAW to suit my needs. The problem is, when I launch CAW my CPU goes crazy. I first noticed the hissing sound, but then I checked in the task manager and it jumps up to a 100%.

I have vertical sync enabled globally, my PC can run The Sims with all expansions and a bajillion of CC (installed mostly with CC magic) rather smoothly. Most NRaas mods included.

Then there's this software, black screen, no world loaded, I am not even touching it, it's just enough that it's on screen (the issue goes away when it's not in focus, for instance I have Firefox window active). Instant hiss and 100% CPU usage. I am baffled, I know people with worse computers use it successfully, but something is severely wrong here for me and I don't know why and I'm scared to use the program not to hurt my PC :o

Has this happened to anyone before?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 9:46 PM
CAW tries to launch all your content in sims 3 as well, so making a sims 3 folder only for CAW might be a good idea. Don't introduce CC or mods in the new game folder for CAW unless you absolutely need them.

You make a new game folder very easily by renaming the old one, then you can go back and forth between them as you see fit.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 10:08 PM
It has been so long since I did it, but I know that at one point we had to set up everything we had with LargeAddressAware, and then with later items it was not needed. Someone with a better memory probably can give more current information about this. I know I did it on my laptop. I cannot remember if done on this desktop when I installed here. I don't think it was needed here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 1:34 AM
I have actually tried to run it with a freshly-made The Sims folder (renamed the normal one to .old) but it was the same thing. Buzzzzzzyt 90->100% CPU used.

Erh, maybe it's best if I live it be and wait for Sims 5 with an unfried computer...
dodgy builder
#5 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 7:16 AM
I would try the game help section on this site. I know they have some more technical solutions available for sims 3.

You don't need to post, just scroll through the threads. I've seen quite few posts on tge same subjects there, and people get tired of answering the same questions very often.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I would try the game help section on this site. I know they have some more technical solutions available for sims 3.

You don't need to post, just scroll through the threads. I've seen quite few posts on tge same subjects there, and people get tired of answering the same questions very often.

Trust me, I've Googled as much as I could before I asked the question. I've solved plenty of issues this way, but all CPU related questions/solutions I could find pertained to the game itself. The one thing I found was using fresh install which I have done before asking the question anyway.

Whatever, I've given up after failing to find the cause. I'll have to let this one go, I don't want to damage my PC.
dodgy builder
#7 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 2:23 PM
I was talking about our forum. It's not easy finding a solution if you don't know what to google for.

http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=551