Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#101 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 8:20 AM
I have been following this thread with interest and may I say Bloom, you have done a magnificent job on that dome and zelda, you with your textures as well.

And the lamp, I personally like the texture in post #81, it looks very elegant, why mess it up just so it can look more like the original.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#102 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 12:55 PM
I'm almost done with the texturing. Can someone tell me if the metal swirl things are supposed to be gold or a different colour?
Top View:

Inside View:
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 1:18 PM
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 2:09 PM
but you better leave it as it is, 'cause it's perfect enough
Sockpuppet
#105 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 3:11 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:07 AM.
I also prefer it being black but the shape looks great!

Now for the glass lamp,
The lamp i sent you has all its uvcoordinates on one uvmap so in order to textuyre with good detail you need atleast a 1024x1024 texture.(but it will never be that detailed)
The lamp i posted in post#81 has its uvcoordinates on like 100uvmaps so i can pattern the textures(using just a 64x64 pattern)
If you like you can try to texture one bead on a 64, 128 or 256 texture file.
You then scale up the uvccordinates of the lamp in Blender so multiple beads will appear.

Ill have a attempt myself if my headache drops....

Edit,
Here, this will give you a idea
I have 4 beads on my 256x256 texturefile
I had to update the uvmap a little so if you want to have a go ill sent you the latest files.
By scaling the uvcoordinates in the file its material settings i can scale them bigger or smaller, you see they are a bit smaller in the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#106 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 5:32 PM
It looks amaaaaaaaaazing.
Sockpuppet
#107 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 5:37 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:07 AM.
Thnx, but your better at texturing so i dont mind if you have a attempt.
i took one from the net and is only 85kb
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 6:42 PM
BloomsBase, It's beautiful!!! I'm looking forward getting this cool stuff into my TS3 game.
Sockpuppet
#109 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 8:18 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:07 AM.
fiddling with transparancy:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#110 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 8:24 PM Last edited by zelda101 : 5th Jun 2012 at 8:58 PM.
So I worked on the beads, and layered a few images together,
I don't think I could see it on my version of the lamp can it?

Anyways, here you go, would like to see how it looks.

Should we just leave the transparency and just have only the beads show?
Sockpuppet
#111 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 8:37 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:08 AM.
well, there are so many settings.
I have to see wat works best.
Gonna try your texture ingame.

You want the beads round or more oval(in lenght) ?
And hows the size?
Its just a matter of scaling x or z
I am missing the brightness when the lamp is on, shows correct on the gold but not on the lamp, prolly the specular, got to look
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#112 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 9:05 PM
It looks really good!!
There's nothing really wrong with it except the lighting.

I was about to ask if you can make the white background on the beads more transparent.. but
then there would be nothing behind the texture. On the plus side, the white background makes it look more brighter.

Looks perfect.
Sockpuppet
#113 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 9:10 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:08 AM.
i did play a little with the settings but wont change much.
you want the beads round?
Ill have to finetune the uvmap a little so all appear round, there is a bit diffrence now.
Im not going to update so all have the same size, its a huge task.(they now become smaller near the bottom)
If you can finish the top segments(texture) ill send you the package so you can have a look ingame.
Sockpuppet
#114 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 10:42 PM
After some testing it is better to release the lamp as a seperate object.
When using the whole dome will brighten up exept for the lamp itself.....
How many floors you have from the grandstaircasefloor to the deck?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#115 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 12:13 AM Last edited by zelda101 : 6th Jun 2012 at 5:00 AM.
I've been working on the plaster thing that you asked me from a while back. Here it is, It's not exactly the real deal, but pretty close.
Also I've edited the gold swirly thing in the center of the dome.

I believe the dome would be on the highest floor (6th), overlooking the 5th floor. Without the lamp, will the dome have that circular glass put instead?
Sockpuppet
#116 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 1:23 AM
It looks awsome.(but did you also plaster the wood? )

The dome's footprint(1x1) will be on the 5th floor, downside is that it will take the shadow of that room wich is ok for the innerdome but makes the outerdome to dark.
On the other side will it light up when lights are placed on the 5th floor wich imo looks very realistic.
Im trying to edit material settings of the outerdome hoping the textures light up a bit.

Was planning to make the plaster texture as overlay or stencil so it will not interfear for those who rather want to recolor it.

If i do the same with the lamp, place it on the fith floor, it should light up the dome nicely.....i hope.

Not sure wat you mean by your last quistion, if i seperate them the lamp comes with the gold and beads.
I will close the ciculair gap on the dome so people have a choice wether they want to use the lamp or not.

If your finished can you send the textures(gold, plaster and top) to my email([email protected])

Anyway, now its just fiddling with settings till we are both satisfied.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#117 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 2:22 AM
So if I add texture to the plastering, can it still be customized in the game
Also, what parts of the dome will be customizable in the game?

And by the question I meant will the lamp be attached to the center glass?
From your pictures it looks like it is, and I one or two of your pictures has the dome without the round center piece/glass.
Sockpuppet
#118 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 3:49 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 6th Jun 2012 at 4:08 AM.
yes, by default the plaster is castable wich means you can color it or give it a pattern
Same with the iron parts and the wood.
A castable design has 4 textures
-overlay
-mask
-multiplier
-specular
These 4 are part of the design you create were the mask channels determine wich parts are coloroble.
The multiplier is just a greyscale texture with shadows
The specular is used to give some parts reflection.
The overlay is a texture to bring in high detail and will overrule the multiplier and mask.

So my first design includes, a mask, a specular and a greyscale multiplier were people can color:plaster/wood/top and iron.
This design will have a blanc overlay.
The second design will be a copy but with a overlay with your plaster texture.(and the gold if i include the lamp)

For the top center piece,
I just made it recolorble but if you want it to be the same as the other glass you best texture that aswell?
Then it will match the rest

The glass on the sides has a standalone non castable texture, same with the beads
i think i did send you the full uvmap of the castable textures didn't i?
There is a big circle on it, you can texture it with your cool glass texture.
You can texture it on the same one as the plaster or make a new, as long its on a 1024x1024.
I have to copy and past those anyway on the overlay and save it as dds dxt5(have to do that with all textures.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#119 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 4:46 AM Last edited by zelda101 : 6th Jun 2012 at 5:27 AM.
Okay so I'm done everything so far!!

I didn't send it to your email because I think it's faster to check on here. so I'll just post the links here.

I textured everything and I redid the glass, because the metal design at the end was a bit off. I just didnt texture and include the lamp's glass because I thought we're going with the beads.

Glass Texture
Dome Texture
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 5:25 AM
you are not going to make a .package or .sims3pack file, do you?
Sockpuppet
#121 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 6:22 AM
Thank you!

@Max, we will upload to MTS2 when it is finished.
Lab Assistant
#122 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 6:45 AM
BloomsBase?, are there any tutorials how to work in Milkshape 3d?
Sockpuppet
#123 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 7:29 AM
yes, i seen many here on MTS2 and Youtube.
Lab Assistant
#124 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 8:22 AM
BloomsBase, thanks, I'll try to do something if I'll gave free time
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#125 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 12:42 AM
Now that the dome is near complete, should we try and sometime later on in the future work on the skylight room to house the dome? As usual, I could do the texturing.
Page 5 of 7