Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2018 at 12:40 AM
Default Help understanding a resource file for relationship decay mod!
Hi! I'm very, VERY new to modding, as in this is my very first Sims 4 mod ever. After realizing that I severely disliked the rate at which relationships decay in the game I decided to look for a mod to slow it down or stop it altogether. There's one mod on MTS that does that but it's no longer being updated and it doesn't work at all on current versions of the game + expansions. That one is way fancier than the one I did but frankly I'm just excited that I managed to make something very simple that actually seems to work!

This mod merely stops decay on all friendship relationships, period. It doesn't affect romances.

I edited the resource file named 339BC5BD!00000000!000000000000410A.LTR_Friendship_Main.StatisticTuning and here are screenshots of the changes I made:

I'll be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing. I just found the values that looked like the ones I was looking for and then made them 0. I also don't really know what "decay_override" means exactly but I assume it has something to do with a changed rate of decay depending on the relationship level. I'm also curious as to what these values mean exactly. I'm guessing they're relationship bar points? As in the "0.000695" is a tiny percentage of a point that decays every specific period of time.

What I'm really curious about is what the "1440" means in the decay delay section. I assume it's the period of time that passes before a decay happens but for the life of me I can't make sense of that number. It can't be in-game seconds or minutes, right?

Either way, the mod seems to work! I've been testing it in my own game: I made an acquaintance with a Sim and then just ignored it for about a week. No decay and the relationship is still present in my Sim's relationships. I also used a cheat to set another friendship to just barely within the "friend" parameters. Left it for a week and no decay at all. The Sims are still friends and the bar hasn't budged. Hooray!

So the mod works but I'd like to make it fancier/make more versions where it just slows down decay. I'd also like to understand those values a bit better so that I know exactly what I'm modifying. Thanks!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  GEN FriendshipDecay_nodecay.zip (1.3 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by genevievedee
Hi! I'm very, VERY new to modding, as in this is my very first Sims 4 mod ever. After realizing that I severely disliked the rate at which relationships decay in the game I decided to look for a mod to slow it down or stop it altogether. There's one mod on MTS that does that but it's no longer being updated and it doesn't work at all on current versions of the game + expansions. That one is way fancier than the one I did but frankly I'm just excited that I managed to make something very simple that actually seems to work!

This mod merely stops decay on all friendship relationships, period. It doesn't affect romances.

I edited the resource file named 339BC5BD!00000000!000000000000410A.LTR_Friendship_Main.StatisticTuning and here are screenshots of the changes I made:

I'll be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing. I just found the values that looked like the ones I was looking for and then made them 0. I also don't really know what "decay_override" means exactly but I assume it has something to do with a changed rate of decay depending on the relationship level. I'm also curious as to what these values mean exactly. I'm guessing they're relationship bar points? As in the "0.000695" is a tiny percentage of a point that decays every specific period of time.

What I'm really curious about is what the "1440" means in the decay delay section. I assume it's the period of time that passes before a decay happens but for the life of me I can't make sense of that number. It can't be in-game seconds or minutes, right?

Either way, the mod seems to work! I've been testing it in my own game: I made an acquaintance with a Sim and then just ignored it for about a week. No decay and the relationship is still present in my Sim's relationships. I also used a cheat to set another friendship to just barely within the "friend" parameters. Left it for a week and no decay at all. The Sims are still friends and the bar hasn't budged. Hooray!

So the mod works but I'd like to make it fancier/make more versions where it just slows down decay. I'd also like to understand those values a bit better so that I know exactly what I'm modifying. Thanks!

Everything is correct.
1440 are minutes that correspond to a day.
So the fraction or decimal number will decay every day.
The override is exactly what you said. Depending on their relationship level it will have a different decay rate.