Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Default Book Covers and Novel Icons

by Slig Posted 9th Mar 2016 at 12:22 AM

16 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 7 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Instructor
THANKS POST
#2 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:11 AM
Thanks doesn't begin to cover it Slig. Huge thanks to you for this. I was so bored with the plot lines and book covers and this was a surprise present! Love the bright colors and new images. Immense Hugs!!!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 10:59 PM
Thank you! I've been looking for something like this for months!
Theorist
THANKS POST
#4 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 2:16 PM
This is fantastic! I love having at least one novelist in a neighborhood and had grown quite tired of not having some variety (during the selection process).

I already use the majority of your buy mode defaults (from your Dreamwidth) and have no doubt this will be a great addition as well. Thank you!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 10:53 PM
Thanks for the comments, I'm glad they're useful. ( ᐛ )و
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 7:12 PM
Thanks for those, i had other defaults before i just saw yours, but they were too weird for everyone in my game to read and this is perfect!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator THANKS POST
#7 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 8:34 AM
I just found these, thankyou. I am very tired of the Maxis novel icons and will be glad to have new ones!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 1:49 PM
Hope they're less tiresome! :P
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#9 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 8:35 PM
Thank you
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#10 Old 22nd May 2023 at 5:08 AM Last edited by VirtualAlex : 22nd May 2023 at 8:24 AM.
Awesome.
Theorist
THANKS POST
#11 Old 12th Jun 2023 at 6:50 PM
Thank you!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 8:23 AM
I like the icons, a lot, but the "Romance" category looks a bit short-changed. There are enough icons for "Mystery" and "SF", and enough to get by on for "Children's", not to mention a few hints for Horror (which is not one of the default categories). But "Romance" comes up way short - underpants with hearts on them just isn't the same as the game's own "Want to Fall In Love" icon, and what does a vacuum cleaner have to do with anything?

(I gather it's possible to substitute icons, so this is something I will probably look into.)
Forum Resident
#13 Old 18th Dec 2023 at 12:42 AM
Update on this project. Yes it is possible to substitute other icons, but you have a maximum limit of 45 (so you can only add one but must replace others).

The files were SUPPOSED TO be separate, but the book covers were included with the novel icons - so if you download that file, you get the lot whether you wanted it all or not. (More research to see what can be done about that.)
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Jan 2024 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
The files were SUPPOSED TO be separate, but the book covers were included with the novel icons - so if you download that file, you get the lot whether you wanted it all or not. (More research to see what can be done about that.)

Many years ago I tinkered with the novel writing icons and uploaded them to another site. Yes you can swap them in and out, yes you're limited to however many are there. The book covers are the covers you see on the right hand side of the novel writing ui-window thingy.

I ran into an issue when I did mine that the icons were not showing up correctly in the speech/thought bubbles of the sims reading the books. As in the plot would make 0 sense. I'm not sure if this is basegame behaviour (as in they never made any sense) or if this is a side effect of replacing them.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 17th Jan 2024 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by forever_little
I ran into an issue when I did mine that the icons were not showing up correctly in the speech/thought bubbles of the sims reading the books. As in the plot would make 0 sense. I'm not sure if this is basegame behaviour (as in they never made any sense) or if this is a side effect of replacing them.

Probably base game, as I don't think there ever was any relationship between thought bubble icons and novel plots. (I tried novels with the vanilla icons and they didn't make sense either.)
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Jan 2024 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
I don't think there ever was any relationship between thought bubble icons and novel plots. (I tried novels with the vanilla icons and they didn't make sense either.)

Well that answers a mystery I've had about that project since 2009

If you want the default book covers in the novel writing ui, but want to keep slig's custom icons; you'll want to extract the originals from a cloned Book-Novel-Icon Helper object.

It's in object workshop under unknown, clone it like you would any other object you want to pull the textures out of.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 17th Jan 2024 at 7:50 PM
Actually, I made a set of custom book covers to suit my tastes. Strictly speaking, it required two sets, one for full covers plus inside (for the novel as object) and one for just the front covers (which sub in the same as the plot icons).