Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: What should the next theme be?
Elders - let's show those old timers some love!
129 44.18%
Business - Support your local sim business!
75 25.68%
Back to School/University Support your local sim school and college!
88 30.14%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 1:31 PM Last edited by gdayars : 23rd Aug 2018 at 1:44 PM.
Default Theme Poll Revisited
Please vote in the poll above

Well it is almost time for a new theme! We did one of the popular ones voted on last time, but finally was able to narrow down the remaining options more fully so we could have a proper poll vote

One vote per member. We will close the poll and pick the winner officially at midnight, EDT, on the 30th so we have time to come up with a banner for the new theme.

The theme options are as follows:

1. Elders - let's show those old timers some love!

2. Business - Support your local sim business!

3. Back to School/University Support your local school and college!

While there were several votes for culture and period themes, we will need to narrow those choices down for a future theme so don't despair if you wanted one of those.
4 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 1:34 PM
Elders!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 1:37 PM
Hit the button on the top there you get one vote per member.
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 4:37 PM
Me, too, elders! Elders are neglected, but I enjoy them and would love to see some more options for them.
Scholar
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 7:11 PM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 23rd Aug 2018 at 7:23 PM. Reason: Typo
I chose elders because I feel that they need and deserve more than what they have.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 9:18 PM
Business! Sims need to be more enterprising. Sims need suits, sedans and sexy computers, and it has nothing to do whatsoever with the fact that I've got a few of each nearly ready to upload. A choice made easier by the fact that there are no elders in my game.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 10:33 PM
Oh no, I love all of them! I chose businesses this time, though I think all of these should be the theme at one point or another.

Sims 2 Story|My Tumblr|Donate
See something of mine you like? Just ask, and I'll get you a link to the item you're looking for.
Test Subject
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 10:49 PM
I vote back to school since it's that time of year in the USA. Thanks to school traffic I have to leave extra early in the morning to make it into work at a reasonable time and my afternoon commute is pretty sporty too.
Theorist
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 11:12 PM
I'm torn between voting for Elders and Business. *takes a minute to think about it*

Elders win.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Instructor
#10 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 3:13 AM
I never tried it yet, but do elders woohoo? Can they have a heart attack and die? LOL
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 5:05 AM
Elders can woohoo and not worry about pregnancy. I see what you did there... you just want a way to off them. You mean! There are mods to make elders better to play, maybe you just need a few.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#12 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 6:50 AM
@joandsarah77 No, don't want to kill them lol, just would be a funny interaction. Like anything else that can make them die in the game.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#13 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 8:26 AM
Really seems that the results already are quite close to each other! Can’t wait to see which theme will eventually win here!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 9:46 PM
I like all three. It was hard to pick one.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 11:38 PM
Elders and Back to school is neck and neck!

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#16 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 12:53 AM
Some of the elder limitations are in "our minds" like in real life. Don't have them retire, keep them busy with families or learning new skills or enjoying the golden years. Don't age them up to grey hair all at once. Do it gradually.

I'd like to see "more business stuff."

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 3:44 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 25th Aug 2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 5437681, 5437683
I voted for "business" cause its my favorite aspect of the game. However, if I am being fair- it would seem that "elders" should win since they are neglected for the most part. It should be "elders go back to school to get a degree to open a business"

Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
@joandsarah77 No, don't want to kill them lol, just would be a funny interaction. Like anything else that can make them die in the game.

Liar, liar, pants on fire. lol
Mad Poster
#18 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 2:47 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 25th Aug 2018 at 2:58 PM.

Not sure what associations can elders have with the two that share a common attribute... Than again, there probably isn't so oh well. i guess i have to pick. Elders are gonna win (I voted for businesses), heck it looks like OP wants them to win too given by the wrote unique slogan/tagline. You would think others would also include "It's that time of the year..." or "ka/cha-ching" for the other two.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#19 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jtf04240
However, if I am being fair- it would seem that "elders" should win since they are neglected for the most part. It should be "elders go back to school to get a degree to open a business"

I think being able to send elders back to school or having some new business ideas that are most relevant to them would be great, seeing as my elders live forever, anyway.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 4:51 PM Last edited by gazania : 27th Aug 2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: 565? Most elders look pretty good for 500+-year-olds!
Don't be so hasty on that.

"Elders" aren't necessarily old Grannies and Grandpas complaining about the kids on their lawn.

You can go slightly retro in design and clutter. Some elders like certain items over the years and keep them in their houses. Sentimental value is a plus. And in the U.S., 65 is considered retirement age, so you can incorporate elements of the 60s and 70s. And why CAN'T an elder run a shop featuring 60s merchandise? Or even biker stuff? I know of many over-60-year-old bikers. Just move away from "edgy" and "trendy". Or ... not. Some elders incorporate newer trends in their house design.

Elders often have vacation homes or year-round homes in warmer areas. Time to make that cozy one- or two-bedroom seacoast hideaway. And Grannie and Gramps can get romantic too, you know! Just keep some physical limitations in mind. Many elders do have those, though certainly not all. Some are in better shape than they were 20 years ago.

I made an elder house some time ago, based on what I saw my mother needed. (She is in her 80s, and uses a walker.) One thing that makes me grimace when people make Sims 2 "elder" houses is that often, they have flights of stairs. That is not really an elder-friendly house in the general sense. Many elders have trouble navigating up those because of hip and joint problems. Think low- or no- (slab) foundations. Lots of space to navigate wheelchairs and walkers, yet walls to hang onto if you're teetering a bit.

I posted this before, but here is the house I made based on my mother's "must-have" list. Under a spoiler for your skip-by convenience.

There were many things I wasn't quite aware of before uploading stuff here and participating in contests, so please forgive the obvious gaffes. I just wanted to point out that perhaps you shouldn't consider that elaborate bedroom mansion with the five tiers of stairs! Many elders tend to like to downsize and simplify as they get older. Many of you out there might know someone 65 and older. They might be a great source of inspiration. No ... unlike Maxis' depiction, not all elders slouch and shuffle. I know of one gentleman who is in much better mental and physical condition than many people half his age. He does many repairs (put up a fence recently and fixes plumbing), is extremely socially-adept and has an active life. Oh ... and he's 92. I never think of him as "old" when I look at him. My late cousin was like that, and he died at 99.

Look at AARP (either the publications or website), search for senior-related items, clothing, vacation destinations, etc.

That being written ... I didn't vote for elders. But there are things you can do with them other than making housecoats, or pants that end somewhere under the arms.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 4:53 PM
Actually I wrote that while tired as all get out and asked for feedback too and no one caught that it sounded like I was biased towards elders. I actually voted for business lol

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

Not sure what associations can elders have with the two that share a common attribute... Than again, there probably isn't so oh well. i guess i have to pick. Elders are gonna win (I voted for businesses), heck it looks like OP wants them to win too given by the wrote unique slogan/tagline. You would think others would also include "It's that time of the year..." or "ka/cha-ching" for the other two.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 6:22 PM
I vote for elders.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 6:44 PM
Nurturing (or nursuring? whatever they're called) homes would be great. Also, don't forget to leave a myshuno bingo object in there

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Test Subject
#24 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 9:13 PM
I am all for university though elder comes as a close second
Retired Live Chat Moderator
#25 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 1:38 AM
Gotta go with Elders. Don't really want to associate a uni to my NH even, so that's out. Business - IDK but ya, elders get ignored a lot and I'm sure they are over due to get up to some shenanigans.
Page 1 of 2