Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2007 at 3:00 AM Last edited by SirDrake : 28th Jan 2007 at 2:46 PM.
Tutorial: Making clothes or parts bumpy/reflective/shiny and editing the envcube!
On this tutorial we will learn how to apply the envcube material and make a mesh or part of it reflective and still bumpy!!!!, we will also modify the envcube texture to get different effects. Lets start! (if you already have a .PACKAGE and want it to be reflective go to the secction: 3 Time to Shine!!!!

<º))))><.·´¯`·.1 Making a new project.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>:

Make a new project and name it as you wish i did name it tutorial_shiny.
To make a new project and import it in to the game follow tigerrypum excellent tutorial here: Body Meshing Tutorial - Using MeshTool/OBJ <<< click there if you don't know how to export meshes and make projects.
For this tutorial we will use a mesh that have 2 groups the HULASKIRT is the one that we will select instead of the formal woman's gown dress
Once you are done making all steps to Building Your New Mesh Package and Attaching Your New Mesh to the Temp Skin we will move to the next step.
I did name my new mesh: MESH_tutorial_reflective <<<<the one you save in your downloads folder (you can give it any name you like i used that name for tutorial purposes).Also when i did fix integrity i used the Tutorialreflective name.
*The names are your choice i'm using those ones as a tutorial purpose for the new people who is learning (like me)

As tyggerypum said on the step 28 be sure that your package is working (just in case)

<º))))><.·´¯`·.2 Looking at the GMDC.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>:

Open your new MESH file (the one you saved in the downloads folder) on SimPE and take a look at the Geometric Data Container, you have 2 separate models, body and body_alpha:
Click on the Geometric Data Container on the left then on the right to see the models that conform the mesh.If we use the body to be reflective it will seem a robot so we will use the body_alpha.As you can see in the preview it is the dress and will be reflective while the body will stay normal.
Now that we know how to look on what to make reflective and what not we can make our choices now on SimPE hit file new and browse to you SavedSims folder, open the .PACKAGE you just made.If you don't remember wich one right click inside the folder and click Arrange Icons by, and choose Modified should be the last one...mine is named 5f8478df_tutorial_shiny open it.

<º))))><.·´¯`·.3 Time to Shine!!!!.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>:

Select at the left Material Definition (TXMT), and on the right !body_alpha_txmt...remember not the body one for this tutorial!
Now look under properties plugin view (this is the screen of the default properties there is nothing reflective still...we will change that):

To change the values and name we must click the property we want to modify at the left then enter the values on the right then we hit commit and sort list for each value changed to be safe.

STEPS:

1.Set the value of reflectivity to 1 hit Commit and then hit sort list
2.Set the value of stdMatEnvCubeCoef to 0.2,0.2,0.2 hit Commit and then hit sort list (the more near to 1 these values are the more shiny the effect will be).
3.Set the value of stdMatEnvCubeMode to reflection hit Commit and then hit sort list
*Each time you change a value remember to hit Commit and then hit sort list i repeat this a lot but if you forget that....
4.Click on stdMatBaseTextureName and then click add (this will add a new line at the end of the list) select that line (looks like [:]) and on the name put stdMatEnvCubeTextureName click commit and sort list.
5.On the value we will add reflectionsilver-envcube click commit and sort list.

If your PACKAGE looks like the image above save you made it it shines!!! to see it open Body Shop > Create Parts > Start New Project > Create Clothing > Everyday and will be the 1st one

Yes reflective and still the bumpmaps works!!!!

<º))))><.·´¯`·.4 EXTRAS.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>:

More values for the stdMatEnvCubeTextureName:
reflectionbronze-envcube
reflectionbronzenonlit-envcube
reflectiondarkgold-envcube
reflectiongold-envcube
reflectiongoldnonlit-envcube
reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube
reflectionoutdoorwater-envcube
reflectionsilver-envcube
reflectionsilvernonlit-envcube
reflectionsparking-envcube

I made this tutorial based on the research of RGiles and Rosco found here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...=0&page=1&pp=25

<º))))><.·´¯`·.5 Modifying the envcube map.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>:
Now make a new project on Body Shop with the new shiny mesh export it and go to the projects folder where the textures are stored. You have 2 new textures and the alpha and bumpy are still there!!!!!!!!. They are:
body_alpha~stdMatEnvCubeTextureName and body_alpha~stdMatEnvCubeTextureName_alpha
Take the 1st one body_alpha~stdMatEnvCubeTextureName and open it in photoshop or your image editing software now play with it changing the colors or the shape it will reflect different colors or make different reflections (make the changes while you preview them in Body Shop)
Well thats all i hope it helps to make shiny clothes phewww. Sorry for any mistake and for my english peace and love to all!!
This is a way to share the little things i found while asking a lot of questions and got help from tiggerypum, Dr Pixel, Marvine, Wes_h, and Numenor also browsing the forums a lot :lovestruc

<º))))><.·´¯`·.Tested and working!!.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>:

My Wings are broken....my hands bleed...
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 16th Jan 2007 at 6:40 PM
Well done, the information seems quite complete and clear and I hope to find the time to play with this soon
I'm very curious in particular about how the bumpmapping will display on reflective meshes...

Thanks a lot!

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Field Researcher
#3 Old 19th Jan 2007 at 5:11 PM
This is very interesting! My good Lord, how will I ever find the time to play around with everything you talanted people come up with? :D

My 100% free site Carnaby Sims
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jan 2007 at 6:21 PM
Oh my goodness I tried this tutorial and it worked!! I thank you for making this a clear and well written tutorial this should be a sticky!! much thanks
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 11:09 AM
Excellent tutorial and I've moved it into the tutorial area. Thank you ! (I meant to do it earlier, but must have been rushed that night)

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 4:04 PM
Awww thx a lot tiggerypum and all who helped also to the people who did reply *blush*
Err just a thingy tigerrypum the images are on imageshack i dunno if to attach them if it's allowed (...or how to do it lol)
And i'm a bit scared of imageshack deleting them (sorry if i say a lil of nonsense i'm sleepy ) <<<<<<

My Wings are broken....my hands bleed...
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#7 Old 22nd Jan 2007 at 7:00 AM
Go to your first message. Edit. Click the manage attachments button and then upload them. Once they're on site, edit again and link to them

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Field Researcher
#8 Old 30th Jan 2007 at 2:48 AM
Nice tutorial SirDrake. I would test on my girls clothes, and then on boys. Thanks.
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 4:19 AM
Default SKintones?
Very nice tutorial, thanks.

By th way, is it possible to create shine on selected areas of a skintone? For example, i want to add some reflection shine to a belly button on Louis skins. Can I do it, using this technique?

PS. Sorry for my English, I'm originally from Belarus.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 5:25 AM
PS-Noob You shouldn't try and use this technique for that, it will make all the skin shiny and plastic/metal looking, besides which the 'belly button' area on the sim doesn't particularly have a shape that would cause a shine there. Shiny skins are simply made by changing the shades on the skin. Be sure to test with in game lighting, bodyshop doesn't light the bodies correctly.

Test Subject
#11 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 11:22 PM Last edited by LoveTheSims04 : 19th Feb 2007 at 1:22 AM.
I tried this tutorial on a new mesh I made, and it worked when it showed up in bodyshop, but when I tried to start a new project with it, I got an error message saying "there was a problem exporting the selected textures." Any clue as to what I did wrong? I used the hula outfit to attach the mesh to and to make reflective.

EDIT: Ok, I fixed the above problem, but the alpha and texture for the reflective properties does not generate when I export a new project in bodyshop.
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 2:18 AM Last edited by nitesage : 30th Mar 2007 at 3:14 AM. Reason: got it to work (some what)
I tried it, and it didn't work. I used the blue/teal nightlife motojacket, and it looked the same before and after. Is there like something else that people just know to do that I don't know about?

edit:Well that stinks, I tried it on the hula outfit, and it works perfectly. I guess the outfit has to have the body_alpha before you can make it reflective. now if only I had a way to add that to packages that don't have the body_alpha... o well.

Hooked on fonix? dun gud 4 me,
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#13 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 5:52 AM
nitesage, the mesh must have *two parts* for it to work - or if you succeed, the whole sim will be reflecting, including all the flesh parts. A mesh maker who wants this effect has to design the mesh specifically for it.

The drawback of that design is that the mesh will no longer be able to have a variable neckline (by editing graphic alphas) because it will shine on the part where the clothing group is.

Test Subject
#14 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 5:19 PM
Yeah I think I eventually came to the conclusion that there needed to be two parts, I am an intermediate mesher, can you tell me what I need to do in SimPE to get this so that I can make my outfits shine?

Hooked on fonix? dun gud 4 me,
Instructor
#15 Old 19th May 2007 at 4:07 PM
SirDrake, THANKS!

Rating:
Test Subject
#16 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 5:20 AM
Is there a way to make a female bottom reflective? If so, will you please let me or us know how? Thanks.
Mickey
Inventor
#17 Old 4th Feb 2008 at 5:53 AM
thank you very much, it looks cool

:::OpenHouse For Sims:::
[ click here to go there ]
::check out my site for updates and freebies::
Test Subject
#18 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 7:18 PM
Default Blend Mode Possible?
Hiya,

A very simple and easy to follow tut, although I agree with a comment someone else said, it doesn't always work...

...don't you just love the sims 2 lol.

Anyway, my question is, and forgive me if it has already been answered elsewhere, but I have the two body parts, body and body_alpha, with the body_alpha all nice and shiny etc, but is it possible to make the body_alpha shiny as well as blendable, so, for example, I could make a shiny semi-transparent blouse?

I change the correct value within SimPE to 'blend' but once I do so, the parts become oddly transparent with parts showing throug where they shouldnt etc...

What appears to be happening to me, is that it is reading the texture from the body_alpha image, but the opacity from the body image

Is there a setting I am missing in SimPE or is it something that needs adding/changing in the 'comments' tab in Milkshape?

For reference, I used the same hula outfit as this tut to base my mesh on...

Thanks in advance.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 5th Nov 2015 at 6:30 PM
I have a question.
How does this apply to accessories? I edit a necklace which do not have stdMatBaseTextureName line in Material Definition. Where should I add the stdMatEnvCubeTextureName line?
And which of files should I edit if I want to make accessory shiny? There are no body or body_alpha in their material definitions.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 9:19 PM
Usually accessories have two groups, 'lenses' and 'frame'. You should try editing those. Alternatively, you could always look at the mesh file to preview what the mesh parts look like and what they are called.

You can just click on any other line in the material definition before you do add. I've found that you do not need to have that particular one selected for it to work properly.

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.