Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 6:51 AM
Default Things said about TS3 that you don't understand.
I'm really curious about this one, because I know pretty much everyone's heard something said about it that made them raise an eyebrow.

I'll give an example. The whole "Sims in TS3 are ugly, souless abominations who have no personality." I seriously don't get it. And this isn't exclusive to the TS2-3 transition either back when it was the new game. People are still saying this today. Sorry, nobody informed me that peeing like a champion and flipping a bowl 10 feet in the air is how to make my sims more expressive, so hats off to EA for that.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 7:17 AM
I actually find sims in the sims 3 more endearing since the default townies are so pudding-esque - it makes doing all sorts of weird stuff to them (I.e. Robbaz's fat camps and liberal use of guns) somehow funnier?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 7:26 AM Last edited by igazor : 24th Jul 2018 at 4:14 PM.
"CASt and its color wheels make the game lag."

"There is nothing in EA's TS3 store other than recolored and restyled furniture and repeats of objects already in the game. They should gather it all up once and for all and sell it as a Stuff Pack for $15 or $20" (USD).

"Sims never do anything and nothing fun ever happens. I can sit there for hours, no one comes by the house and nothing interesting happens." (implying they aren't directing their sims or creating anything for them to do at all)

"I leave my game clock running for 24-48 hours unattended and when I come back to it, all of my sims have died. Why?"

"Babies and toddlers are useless." (this isn't specific to TS3, but how many of us expect babies and toddlers to be "useful" in real life?)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 7:39 AM
All of this was beaten to death years ago, but no matter what, each of us has our preferences. I have played every version and 3 is still my go to game. TBH at this point I do not care what other folks think of the game, as it is the one I like most. Just as others should not care what I think.

If you/we like the version we like most, just play it and do not worry about what others think/say. Just enjoy it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 8:16 AM Last edited by Jathom95 : 24th Jul 2018 at 9:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Some people are just nostalgic and moving on from TS2 was difficult.

But at least with TS2 it eventually toned down. People realized TS3 was a good game, just not necessarily their cup of tea. It's probably why I'm more harsh towards TS4 than it warrants. I cannot tell you how many threads I've come across in different sites where the general consensus is "lol, who remembers how awful TS3 looked, amirite? Soooo boring too. So glad EA is listening to us this time!" Then they throw their money at them and later wonder why the return isn't what they expected.

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
All of this was beaten to death years ago, but no matter what, each of us has our preferences. I have played every version and 3 is still my go to game. TBH at this point I do not care what other folks think of the game, as it is the one I like most. Just as others should not care what I think.

If you/we like the version we like most, just play it and do not worry about what others think/say. Just enjoy it.

Oh, make no mistake it's the same for me. I was never bothered by what other people thought of the game. This thread is mainly directed towards things people have said over the years that are completely off-the-wall comments about the game.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 8:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
This thread is mainly directed towards things people have said over the years that are completely off-the-wall comments about the game.

What you or I or anyone judge as off the wall depends on if we agree or not with the comments. For example, if someone thinks sims 3 sims are pudding faces he/she will agree with a comment stating that. If no, then it is off the wall.

As said, this was all hashed over when 3 was released and then ongoing for a few years. At this point, for me it does not matter anymore.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 9:06 AM Last edited by Jathom95 : 24th Jul 2018 at 5:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
What you or I or anyone judge as off the wall depends on if we agree or not with the comments. For example, if someone thinks sims 3 sims are pudding faces he/she will agree with a comment stating that. If no, then it is off the wall.

The point I'm making isn't really towards subjective things such as visuals/sims. People will definitely feel differently about those sort of things, it's just the nature of diversity. To pull from my original point, off the wall would refer to something like what I mentioned about how TS3 sims are lifeless mannequins with no personality that stand around and do nothing. That is completely false. It has no basis in any argument against the game. Why? Because when people say that, they're not referring to looks. They're referring to gameplay mechanics and treating them as inherently flawed when really they work just fine. They just didn't bother to look at the system specs on the back.

"What do you mean this game won't run great on my 12 year old laptop?! It runs Microsoft Office just fine!"

Mad Poster
#9 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 9:33 AM
Things said about TS3 that you don't understand: this entire topic.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 11:34 AM
"TS4 is better because TS3 has rabbitholes" ...

Which I never understood, because TS4 sims vanishing at the edge of the footpath to go somewhere is just another "rabbithole", but without the rabbithole building.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 12:55 PM
One of the things I don't understand is players complaining about ugly basic sims (especially premades) and then go on to post pics of their (in their mind) better looking sims all with the same generic face only in different cc hairstyles and makeup to hide the pudding.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:38 PM Last edited by kiddypatches : 24th Jul 2018 at 10:42 PM.
Oh here we go! Finally a place to vent! *cracks knuckles*

-"Sims 3 Sims are all ugly pudding faces!!!!" Umm, not really. I find the Sims in 3 look better than in 2, tbh. And "pudding face"? Lol nice complaint. Where'd you get that, the "First Grader's Guide to Pathetic Insults?"

-"all the Sims (regenerated or otherwise) have face template 1!!!!" So? Who cares? I never see people whining in 2 how there's a million face X templates walking around. But I guess that's different.

-"the base game CAS stuff is ugly!" Some stuff is ugly, I agree, but there is some good stuff as well. Besides, have you SEEN some of the clothes in Sims 2 even with expansions? Nobody would wear some of that stuff even in 2005!

-"rabbitholes suck!" Well, at least with having an open world, you can spy on townies while your sim works. It's a lot of fun, actually (especially with the awkward moments and humiliation mod hehehe >; ) ). Besides, in 2, they vanish into the car and you gotta wait for them to come home. And 4, do I even need to say it? How is that "better" than rabbitholes?

-"oh these townies are ugly!" Okay, but like Woolysmurf said, give them heavy CC makeovers? Yeah I'm sure they'll look better now and not look like EVERY CC MADE OVER SIM EVER. At least the townies are unique. People gush over Goopy (not bashing him, I freaking love Goopy!) or whoever and they look tons more ridiculous than someone in 3 whose major flaw is non matching colours.

-"the game takes too long to load!" That may be, but you usually only have to wait for the game to load and that's it. No more loading screens (unless you travel on vacation). Just chill, read a book, and wait. To be fair, Sims 2 takes just as long on my Windows 10 to load as Sims 3 does on my other computer. But at least I can preoccupy myself and not whine.

-"the babies look like maggots! You can't do anything with them!" Who cares? In my opinion, 3 babies are super cute and their blankets make them even cuter. Just because they don't do as much as they do in 2 doesn't make them a waste of space. I mean babies don't do much IRL either if they're newborns, which is what 3 babies are intended to look like, so. Heck, I'm just glad they're LESS of a hassle in 3 and that they're selectable.

-"the traits suck!!! (But in Sims 4 traits are a-okay! uwu)" Right, and being limited to Shyness, Neatness, etc. is more meaningful. I like traits because they can be hysterical. I find personality points to be annoying. Maybe I want a very nice sim but they might be hot-headed. Or a sim who wants more children and isn't a Family sim. You get what I mean? I feel like the personality point system is limited in character depth. It works fine in 1 and 2, but it doesn't have to keep going. But that's just me.

-"The store sucks! It's all recolours!" And blah blah blah. A majority of stuff can be picked and chosen, not everything is in a set. Not everything is recolours. Yet it's perfectly fine to spend $10-$15 every two months for a Sims 4 stuff pack that really is mostly recolours. Lol okay. And who said you HAVE to use the store? If you're so whiny about it, look for custom content. Simple as that. Sure you won't have store exclusive items but at least you'll have your non-recoloured sofa!

-"The game doesn't work on my computer! It's terrible!" Well then, don't play it if your computer can't handle it! Heck, I know there are some computers even to this DAY that can't handle even Sims 2, and that's much easier on specs.

-"Sims 3 sucks. Sims 2 is waaaay better!" Look, I love BOTH 3 and 2 equally but I hate how people treat Sims 2 like it's perfect and has no flaws whatsoever even to this day whereas Sims 3 is terrible and never should have existed, blah blah blah. Sims 3 has problems, yes, but it's still enjoyable. I get some people have a hard time transitioning over to 3 but for crying out loud stop whining about it.

I could go on, but I should stop before I give myself a brain aneurysm. I love both Sims 2 and 3 equally but I will keep defending Sims 3 despite it's actual problems.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:58 PM
One of the complaints I read is that Base Game clothes are ugly. Well, I became curious about this and challenged myself for the fun it but also because I am planning a clothing collection for my Sims. For me, CASt and CAP are some of the best and useful tools to ever be introduced into The Sims franchise and there are limitless possibilities for creativity.
Scholar
#14 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 3:01 PM
"The Sims 3 needs a TARDIS to run." (something preposterous OP wanted? )

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#15 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 3:42 PM
The base game clothes are absolutely not ugly. Some of them are of better quality than others, and the presets are consistenly medicore, but anyone with a bit of CASt experience will know how versatile the base game clothes are.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 4:06 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 24th Jul 2018 at 5:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
The base game clothes are absolutely not ugly. Some of them are of better quality than others, and the presets are consistenly medicore, but anyone with a bit of CASt experience will know how versatile the base game clothes are.

The same can be said about the entire game really. Why, just recently was fixing up a base game house. Used CASt to find a nice wood style for the floor, tweaked the color a bit and it was just how I wanted. Same thing with furniture. There's power in flexibility, because it puts creative control in your hands. I couldn't imagine going back to recolors and the presets EA give us.

Speaking of the clothes themselves, I never had as much of an issue with most of them from any pack as I did the hairstyles. Base game ones are good, WA stuff is ok, AMB stuff is good (that's my go-to for 3 short male hairstyles), and then almost every pack after that seemed hit or miss with occasionally a usable one popping up every now and then.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 4:10 PM
CASt and open world, 2 huge factors why 3 is my fave of the series. And sloped lots! Love to build on them.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
"Sims never do anything and nothing fun ever happens. I can sit there for hours, no one comes by the house and nothing interesting happens." (implying they aren't directing their sims or creating anything for them to do at all)

I actually wish Sims had more autonomy to pursue their lifetime wishes and promotions on their own, actually. Same with some basic things like autonomously paying bills on time and visiting other lots (Arsil's Leaving Home Ain't Easy (http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...068#post4755068) mod helps a lot, but its functionalities are still limited), among other things.

Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
One of the complaints I read is that Base Game clothes are ugly. Well, I became curious about this and challenged myself for the fun it but also because I am planning a clothing collection for my Sims. For me, CASt and CAP are some of the best and useful tools to ever be introduced into The Sims franchise and there are limitless possibilities for creativity.

Some of them are a little bit ill-fitted and they sometimes have really ugly stencils, but the stencil remover (http://www.modthesims.info/d/478307) is incredible because it basically allows you to fully customize an object by removing stencils that limit its use.

There are objects and clothes that I would never look at that I now use all the time, because CAS & CASt can change everything. Like what GrijzePilion said, the presets are the real problem- it's like EA never hired someone who knew what good colour combinations are.

To be honest, they also needed to coordinate materials and colours better. In CASt, there are some patterns which are completely redundant (i.e. the gazillion wood types). Same with patterning and UV mapping- they needed to stay consistent (i.e. why does one wallpaper' wood grain differ from another's?)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
"I leave my game clock running for 24-48 hours unattended and when I come back to it, all of my sims have died. Why?"

1. If you have free will on, and you have sims *unattended* of course their gonna die. From fire especially, with or without firealarm.
2. If you have free will off, and you have sims *unattended* for that long I'm not suprized they would be starved to death, because the autonomy would then be disabled.

Moral story: don't leeve sims attended ; just pause when you go AFK.

I can't think of anything that I would hear that isn't valid.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 5:27 PM
I think a couple of folks here might not be understanding the gist of this thread. We aren't complaining about TS3 or looking for solutions to these things. We are echoing what we deem to be unreasonable or at times nonsensical complaints about the game that we have often enough heard from others.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 5:28 PM
I understand. I'm just giving a comment to whoever anonymous had such confusion why their sims died.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 10:15 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 24th Jul 2018 at 10:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Anyways, the problem with these discussions is that they're never objective, always subjective.

Well, that's the case when the discussion is/becomes "Your game sucks and mine doesn't! Nah Nah Lalala I can't heeeear youu!" A topic like this can be civilized, it's all in the phrasing. That's why I titled the thread "Things you don't understand" rather than "TS3 is the best and every other version of The Sims series is a pile of crap." And so far nearly every reply has been a valid response to things blown out of proportion about the game for years.

Again, the goal isn't to instigate a full blown argument about other Sims games. Just friendly discussion.

#24 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 11:45 PM
This may be a bit off topic but it's Sims related. Why people consider EA to be the worst company in America. They may nickel and dime people to the point of highway robbery but they're not ordering hits on whistleblowers or destroying the environment or supporting bigoted politicians or anything like that. Compared to that, EA is relatively mild.
Page 1 of 12