Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 6:21 PM
Default Would able to create a transparent build mode roof in Sims3?
In Sims 4, a transparent roof can be made.

Is it also possible in Sims 3?
I'd like to create the roof in Build mode, not Object.

I tried it once, but it did not become transparent.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 7:30 PM
Easily. Into The Future introduced skylights that can be placed on ceiling tiles, meaning they can also be walked on. There's two Store sets that add large glass roof sections. And using CC, it's possible to create greenhouse roofs.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
dodgy builder
#3 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 9:45 PM
It's also possible to make with cfe, but it's a bit more demanding than objects and tiles on their own Sometimes glasstiles can bug up when used with cfe, so basically use objects or tiles
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 1:49 AM
I may be totally wrong but I think some custom clear floor tiles were done and some colored in other glass colors. I am pretty sure I have them somewhere in all my stuff and used them in some modern builds.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...1.0.tFGPBw6QmOg

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...%29/id/1195353/
Instructor
#5 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 1:53 AM
A custom transparent roof for Build Mode can be created by cloning a roof and changing its shader. The problem is that TS3 seems to allow only one roof style per lot, so all the roofs on a given lot will be transparent, which severely limits such a mod's usefulness. If there's a way around this, I'd love to know.

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 6:12 AM
Thanks for the reply

I made the texture (dds) transparent and tried it.
Created by TSRW.
The shader's category is "some roof shader".
However, it didn't become transparent.

What turns shaders into transparency?
Screenshots
Instructor
#7 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 11:05 PM Last edited by Butterbot : 19th Jul 2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Attachment
It's the shader that should be changed--to GlassForPortals, with all the relevant parameters set (check another object that uses the same shader for reference). The texture probably doesn't matter, since GlassForPortals doesn't seem to make use of a Diffuse entry. I did this with S3PE a while back (unfortunately, I no longer have the project files, only this screenshot):
Screenshots

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 1:30 AM
That looks very interesting. It's not the most visually pleasing option but the fact that it's possible is interesting. I imagine some fun things could be done with it, regardless.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 6:13 AM
Thanks
It changed to "GlassForPortals".
I made it transparent but I couldn't affix a pattern on it.
It's not glass, it seems that the texture is not reflected unless it is a different category.