Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 7:46 AM
Default A possible MtF neck gap fix
I am trying to find a way to hide the neck gap that appears when dressing male sims in female sims clothing. I’m wondering if the following is possible.

A neck shaped accessory. Instead of being CAS-able it would take the texture of the sims current skin, like cmars penis mesh does. Also would be shift-able/resize-able with the hat slider.

Does anyone have enough experience to know if this is even possible? I have been wanting a fix for this for a very long time now and it seems a good project to start if its possible. Unfortunately I know nothing about....well most of this really, but I am willing to learn. So any insight or suggestion would be helpful.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 11:13 AM
Moved it to the create forum, I hope you don't mind

Basically... no. The thing that would happen is that you would either:

1. Will still have a seam
2. Things will... well clip together in a not-so-nice way.

The reason why it appears on clothing is due... to well, people not properly knowing how to fix neck seams while really it's actually very easy! Now I can understand that if you have an amount of CC in your game, whereas most of the clothing has that issue, you don't want to spend an entire day fixing someone else's issue. Because... well the mesh isn't attached to the head as it should Which, with accessories, would be having that same issue unless you recalculate the normals to what it would look like when they are connected to the head if that... makes any sense. But then again, it won't be as attached to the head as it should be. And with an accessory that would simply be impossible.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2017 at 1:40 AM Last edited by MurderPrincessK : 20th Jul 2017 at 6:27 AM. Reason: can't type
I think we have are wires crossed. I am not talking about converted items. I am discussing putting female meshes on male sims for MtF Transgendered sims. For example, Nraas allows you disable gender assignment for clothing so male sims can wear all female clothes, but it leaves a gap between the male head and the female neck mesh. What I am considering is just an accessory to cover that gap. I am aware it would clip,I actually want the item to clip into the neck so it looks more like a natural progression than the oddity it does now. Ideally I was thinking it would be funnel shaped so that you had a wider opening at the top where the male mesh ends and tapers down into the female neck mesh. Yes the accessory would have a seam but that can be put at the back of the neck so its not as visible or hidden by hair. I guess I was asking if it was feasible and not whether or not it would be perfect looking.

As for the thread being moved, I half expected it. It is odd to me though that questions concerning hypothetical mods are allowed on the general forums in some cases, but for others they are moved. An example of mod discussion allowed on the general forum boards, where things actually get traffic and responses, would be this one:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=597030 . The only difference I see is I'm asking about an item and they were talking about a behavioral/script mod. No, I'm not asking for that discussion to be moved. Merely pointing out the inconsistency in moderating that is happening on these boards. I do think that since you moved this thread it is now basically dead, as no one seems to actually respond in this area except for you. Sorry, but it is true.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 20th Jul 2017 at 12:41 PM
The thread you mention is talking about a *possible* mod that could be in the game, not *specifically* how do I fix something. So it's actually correct that your thread got moved because it's less theoretical about *how* it would work and more practical about the gaps themselves and how to fix. One is technical, one isn't.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 20th Jul 2017 at 7:52 PM
I agree that things are a little slower here in the create forums, but then it's also a matter of getting a helpful answer instead of a... less helpful answer But I have to agree with Delphy here since the thread is indeed mainly about sharing things and ideas, in a way that's not specifically making it happen. The neck accessory is rather more of a 'is it possible, if so, how?'

To answer the texture question, the thing Cmar has done in order to get the penis mesh to, say 'link' like with normal CASParts (except for accessories of course) might just be either a certain skin data that's being linked with CAsparts. Which I think came with the 'simskin' shader, although I have to check that myself.
I wasn't mentioning conversions of course, I was actually thinking of how an accessory neck piece might fix it, as I have thought of that as well. Now the only way that would be possible to make it less noticable is by customize the normals settings of the mesh. But I can see how that is a pain to do since it requires a lot of copy pasting and notepads!

So, again, yes it is possible, however, it would require you making sure the animations are going smoothly with it, and that it won't leave that much clipping I'm not sure if you have any experiences with normals on meshes and maybe even shaders? I do think going with a funnel shape is a really nice way of doing it!