Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2010 at 7:16 PM
Default The Foundational Common Area
Someone suggested a chat thread here so I figure this thread can be that spot to go to when ya want to discuss things foundational, or maybe post some shots you may want constructive criticism on.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 25th Aug 2010 at 7:51 PM
Subscribed!

EDIT: Oh, you can just press subscribe at the top of the thread

Go me

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 1:17 PM
WIP shots for Foundation E
Haven't added all the windows yet (well other than in front) cause I got started on doing the landscaping and such lol

Field Researcher
#4 Old 27th Aug 2010 at 5:41 AM
Greenlea - that looks great so far. I like the contrast between the brick and the cedar shakes. Have you tried recoloring the shakes to one of the light brick shades? Or would that completely do away with the contrast? And I like your use of Lisen's stair extensions - I was using them on my build too - lol! Shoot, half the time I change my exteriors several times - and the windows and doors and the wallpaper and and and.....
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Aug 2010 at 1:09 PM
No I hadn't really tried that cause I thought it looked ok how it was. I may experiment and see if it would look better recolored though.

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Aug 2010 at 11:51 PM
My asthetic is so not modern. I am trying to go modern for foundation gamma and it just isn't speaking to me. I think I am trying to blend too many elements together. This one is a tough one!

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 6:29 PM Last edited by Kaospilot : 29th Aug 2010 at 12:13 AM.
May I ask something a bit off-topic.

What are you guys opinions on stripes and circles used in the same room? (ie stripey wallpaper but circles, in the same colour scheme of course as a pattern on a sofa or even just pillows) clients that we see at work are dead against stripes and circles in the same room. I personally don't see why but I notice here on the forum as well there are a lot of people against it.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 7:45 PM
I think, if it were done minimally it might be okay. I think that most people are against it because it makes a room look very busy. They're both patterns, in my opinion, that draw the eye so if the room has both, you can't quite decide where to look.

"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 29th Aug 2010 at 12:13 AM
Hm, yea that might be it

Forum Resident
#10 Old 29th Aug 2010 at 2:25 AM
I think it would depend on the stripes and circles themselves. There is quite a bit of difference in thin stripes of the same color and varying widths of differing colors. Additionally, stripes running vertically might seem more like texture than those running diagonally. The circles could be just outlines or solid or a mix and they might be in a pattern or random, so that adds to the mix as well. It could be possible to tie the two patterns together as in a rug with the circles on the inside and the stripes on the outside or vice versa and then use those two seperate patterns each in another item (like the circles in the curtains and the lines on a chair). If the other items in the room were solid (no patterns), then the end result could work without being too busy.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 1:57 AM
As to stripes with circles, I think it may have to do more with visual perception than taste, necessarily. Stripes, squares and rectangles are all lineal, whereas circles and ovals are rounded (duh!). At any rate, combinations of the same "family" of shapes may be easier on the eye for most people. Ciane's suggestion is a great way of testing the matter - try it and see if you like the result.
On an other matter of style/taste: has anyone here ever gotten totally carried away with adding a bit here and a dab there, only to pause, look and realize "my, but that is actually quite hideous!" I started working on the GP foundation and it seemed to take on a life of its own until I had something that was so overdone, overwrought, overall tasteless that I had to scrap it and start over. But first I took the weekend off to hopefully recover my sense of taste again. I also paused on Foundation E, so I can go back and see if I messed that up, too, or if it really is OK. Ahhh! The self-doubt! Have to go beat myself with a wet noodle now!
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 5:14 PM
I've edited and changed patterns dozens of times trying to find something I like where finally I thought what I wound up with was hideous and had to start over lol

I've been lacking proper motivation lately I'm going to attempt starting either your foundation or LifesLover's when I get home this evening.

Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 1:46 PM
Ok sometime before this week is out I'll try to throw together another foundation to post as I haven't posted one since last month.

I'm still stuck on any ideas for the GP foundation lol

Forum Resident
#14 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 7:59 PM
I was thinking about a "no foundation" building challenge on a 10x10 lot. It would make stairs to a basement easier and save on space that steps to the foundation would use. My idea is that at least one tile must exist all the way around, meaning that the house couldn't be larger than 8x8. For additional challenges, add room for a car to park, use only original base game items, and keep the price under 16,500 (after depreciation). This can be done as I just finished a test version.

What do you think?
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#15 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 8:18 PM
Sorry guys. I have been busy with guests coming and going and also am now building/judging for Lifeslover's Build to Plan contest! I haven't even attempted other foundations or finished the one I started for Foundation Gamma.

Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 12:11 AM
Hey if you want to make a thread for it Ciane. lol

Forum Resident
#17 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 4:02 AM
If there is any interest, I will.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 5:24 AM
See now, I thought about that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the group, doesn't it? Not that it doesn't have a foundation, but that it's free for them to come up with it. I thought about doing a non-foundation one, where tiles would be laid to show where everything would be built, but I never got around to it. I know I'd be interested in seeing what I'd come up with for your idea, although I'm a bit busy at the moment.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Field Researcher
#19 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 7:56 AM
I had thought about a really tiny foundation which forces people to either build up or down. I found this pic on google from Palestine where apparently people are charged taxes depending on the surface area their home has on the ground and you know how people like to get through loopholes to avoid paying taxes lol.
Inventor
Original Poster
#20 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
See now, I thought about that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the group, doesn't it? Not that it doesn't have a foundation, but that it's free for them to come up with it. I thought about doing a non-foundation one, where tiles would be laid to show where everything would be built, but I never got around to it. I know I'd be interested in seeing what I'd come up with for your idea, although I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Yeah something like that would make more sense. As long as whoever starts gives a guideline for you to work with it doesn't necessarily NEED to be a foundation. Like laying floor tiles. If someone provides a starting point with just floor tiles everyone has to work with the shape given. You could change the style of the floor tile but you can't add any additional floor tiles or remove any.

Forum Resident
#21 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 4:19 PM
I like the laying out floor tiles idea. The tiles could then still be outside patio tile or even driveway rock/stone. I'll do up something to download shortly. I had a heck of time finding flat land, so I'll delete a larger lot and place the 10x10 on a level spot (hopefully). It's a real pain to want to place something outside on that one tile strip around the house and then not be able to do it without cheats because it's not flat.

And, Sandy, I love that house idea. The stairs would be a challenge so close to the door, but a teleporter would work nicely.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 2:47 AM
Sandy, I had to Sim that house. I put it on a 10x10 just to see if I could. I took some liberties and I used a fire pole. Here's the house:

(Just click the pic for the slide show.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 1:32 PM
wow I love that Ciane lol Love the interior colors and furnishings.

Field Researcher
#24 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 10:30 PM
I really should check back more often -that house is amazing Ciane - and the interior looks like it could be from that part of the world too. I love it!
Inventor
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 4:16 PM
Hey guys, I know no one has posted in here in quite a while and I'm not sure if anyone even checks anymore but I thought since I'll be getting Late Night hopefully this week that in the near future I'll be uploading a foundation or guideline of some sort with the intention of it being somehow nightclub themed or something along those lines.

And once again sorry I've not been by in so long, been a lot going on lol Gotten engaged, moved into my mom's (hopefully be out of there in a few months so will also be moving again) I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and hope to see you all soon.

Page 1 of 2