Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
There are a lot of things that we do "automatically", almost unknowingly...

Lol and if I do it once I'm liable to keep repeating it.
Advertisement
#27 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 11:14 PM
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! I'VE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR THIS TUTORIAL!!!
This is sooooo helpful - and the pictures - Great job!!!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 11:35 PM
Eheheh! Obviously you were looking on the wrong sites...! :D
LOL! Only joking... You are welcome!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 6:09 AM
I have the DDS Utilities installed, but I still can't click "Build DXT"

But besides that, thank you so much for this tutorial
Part-time Hermit
#30 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RachieBoBachie
I have the DDS Utilities installed, but I still can't click "Build DXT"

But besides that, thank you so much for this tutorial

Did you point SimPE to the folder the DDS Utilities are installed in? Copying and pasting Numenor's text:

" start SimPE, select the menu Extra / Preferences and fill in the field "Nvidia DDS Tools" with the exact installation path (you can use the "Browse" button to easier find the exact folder where the DDS Utilities are installed)."
Test Subject
#31 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 8:56 PM
I wanted to recolor a rug but I can't find it in Object Workshop.

Great tutorial btw!
Part-time Hermit
#32 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Easier2Run
I wanted to recolor a rug but I can't find it in Object Workshop.

Great tutorial btw!

If you're using SimPE 0.50 or newer and the "docked" Object Workshop, the rugs should be under Decorative and Rugs.
Test Subject
#33 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 9:05 PM
docked?
Sorry, english isn't my first language... I have 0.50 or newer yes, and I've looked under Decorative but it's not there.
Part-time Hermit
#34 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 9:47 PM
docked?
Sorry, english isn't my first language... I have 0.50 or newer yes, and I've looked under Decorative but it's not there.

When, in SimPE, you go to Extra and Preferences, and click on FileTable, do you have, under Simple Settings, Include Nightlife Files chosen? Do you have Nightlife installed, and is this a Maxis rug you're trying to recolor?
Test Subject
#35 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 3:57 AM
YAY! Now i can finally upload somethings to this site ^-^ off to make recolors :agree:

Would you like fries with that?
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 2:22 PM
It actually says when I click on preferences: "You have installed Nightlife, this means, that SimPE needs to copy a File into your Config folder, in order to remove the Blur. Do you want to continue?"

And I haven't installed Nightlife, I don't even own it. I've pressed NO everytime. And I swear I can't find the rug. Cause it's suposed to be under Decorative and there's only one rug in the original game, right? Maybe two if you count the small one...

But I did have the option to show nightlife and university files checked. I unchecked them but I still can't find the damn rug.
Test Subject
#37 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 2:31 PM
Just noticed that everytime I go to preferences the university and Nightlife file option are checked.
How do I make them stay unchecked??
Part-time Hermit
#38 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 3:46 PM
There are no Maxis rugs in the original game, only custom rugs that you must have downloaded, that's why there is no rug section under Decorative for you. In that case, when you start up Object Workshop, instead of clicking Start, click Open, then find the package file containing the rug mesh you want to recolor.
Test Subject
#39 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 11:08 AM
What kind of files should it be when I open them in SimPE? package or something else?

Can I recolor whichever rug I want, or only those where the creator says I can?? Does it matter?
Part-time Hermit
#40 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 11:21 AM
What kind of files should it be when I open them in SimPE? package or something else?

Can I recolor whichever rug I want, or only those where the creator says I can?? Does it matter?

Yes, package files. But it may be hard to tell from just the name of the package if it contains the mesh or not. If the creator of the rug has the mesh package available for download separately from recolors, that might be the easiest way. If not, just open the packages related to that rug to see. Recolor packages will only have a texture, Material Definition and Material Override. Mesh packages have a bunch of other stuff, as well, including Geometric Data Container that has the actual mesh. That's the one you want to create a recolor package of.

Some rug meshes might technically be recolorable, but the creator of the mesh doesn't allow recoloring of it for one reason or another. Others might not be possible to recolor at all. You should find what the creator's recoloring policy is. Also, find out if the creator allows sharing the mesh along with your recolor, or if you should link people to the creator's site to download the mesh.
Test Subject
#41 Old 7th Dec 2005 at 4:44 PM
Ok, I think I got it now. Thank you so much for helping!
Test Subject
#42 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 1:54 PM
I have 1 question
Where i must put this pdf-file?
Part-time Hermit
#43 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 1:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tertsa
Where i must put this pdf-file?

You can save it anywhere on your computer where you'll find it, for example your desktop, then click on it to open.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 11:21 PM
What is this? I just made a new door from the Colonial Tract Door. Everything looks fine in the game and it opens and closes as the sims go through the the straight door both ways but only when they go one way though the diagonal. Going the other way through the diagonal the door remains shut and thy walk through the hinges.
Part-time Hermit
#45 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
What is this? I just made a new door from the Colonial Tract Door. Everything looks fine in the game and it opens and closes as the sims go through the the straight door both ways but only when they go one way though the diagonal. Going the other way through the diagonal the door remains shut and thy walk through the hinges.

I think you may have accidentally posted in the wrong thread? I'm not sure what the problem would be, I don't think I've ever cloned that particular door. Maybe that door requires the Mesh Tool or wes_h plugin to keep the animations, I'm not sure. I've only worked with one-tile wide doors so far.
Test Subject
#46 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 10:55 AM
I've done some recoloring in wizards of SimPE and am trying my hand at this now. of course, right away I've got a problem/question...

after I select what I want to recolor (Beyond Belief Magazine) and name/save it, the program does its thing - but when its done there are (0) files listed in the resource folder.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing/not doing?

I have all the DDS files and CEP so it's not that...

thanks so much for this tutorial, I can't wait until I actually know what I'm doing.

oh...and here's a question...if I recolor something like the helicopter will it become buyable or will the default helicopter be changed...maybe this is the wrong place to ask...sorry.

thanks again.
Test Subject
#47 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 7:04 PM
Default Version?
What version of SimPE is that? Mine doesn't look the same, but its pretty similar. U think I could still do it?
Part-time Hermit
#48 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxyHearts
What version of SimPE is that? Mine doesn't look the same, but its pretty similar. U think I could still do it?

I think Numenor said he used version 0.50 for the tutorial, but you should get the latest version available, which at the moment is 0.52. It should look the same.
Test Subject
#49 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 7:42 PM
Boohoo
I think that's the 1 I have, and after I've done everything and I worked correctly, when I right click to do the DXT thing, it doesn't work. Like the DXT thing is faded! Im never going to learn how to recolor... :sadpanda:
Test Subject
#50 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 8:09 PM
any idea?
WHY ISN'T IT WORKING TO USE THE BXT!?!? When I right click, its faded!! Any1 have any ideas WHY this isn't working. I'm going crazy!!!!! :gonemad:
Page 2 of 47