Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 8:03 PM
You guessed right: if you click YES to UVmapper's request, the UVmap will be changed: you can see the mapping, but you will lose the sink
Unfortunately, UVmapper Classic isn't capable of handling such situation; most of the Maxis objects are mapped out-of-the-texture, so you should find another way to map the counters (for instance, Wings3D contains a not-so-bad UV editor. I said "not-so-bad"... )

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 3:20 AM
I've kinda gotten used to Milkshape and UVMapper (Classic). Do you happen to know if the higher end version of UVMapper (I forget what it's called) has the same issue with being unable to display areas mapped out-of-the-texture?

Also, this is slightly off-topic but... I've put myself out on a limb a bit here with attempting countertops. I haven't created any objects yet which use joints. What tutorial would provide a good overview on meshing objects with joints (is this where the Mesh Tool and the Creating a Chest of Drawers come into play?)?

Thanks,
Dino's Rose
Test Subject
#28 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 12:53 AM
At first, I want to thank you for this great template. It's really easy to handle

I've got a problem with uv-mapping, too, but it is somehow different. All kind of meshes are linked to the same texture. That's normal, I know, but I don't understand, how to make a texture, which fits to ALL uv-maps. I have one uv-map for every state of the counter (_tslocator_gmdc, corner_tslocator_gmdc, counteronly_tslocator_gmdc, nodoors_tslocator_gmdc, nodoorsnodrawer_tslocator_gmdc and nodrawer_tslocator_gmdc). That's normal, too, or not?

In order to fit all meshes to the texture, I have to make one great uvmap with all meshes in it, right? How can I do that, if I can't remap the countertop?

Another possibility could be to link every mesh to a individual texture, but that isn't a good thing, I think, because of filesize and game performance.

How did you (all people, who made a new counter, yet) fit all meshes to the texture? Would be great, if somebody could help me out.

Thanks

Blacky

Visit my website www.simbuktu.de
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 2:31 AM
DinosRose - If you mean UVmapper Pro, yes, it displays correctly off-texture maps; but it's not a free program.
As for the joints, the tutorials you mention are about joints, yes. But if you are used to Milkshape, use that, instead of the MeshTool (that it's a bit outdated: still valid but not reliable 100%). Export the counter mesh in "Milkshape ASCII" format and load it in Milkshape: this format will keep intact all the joints and the joint assignments; so that you can edit the meshes without losing the animations. Only limitation: since you work in ASCII TXT format, and not in OBJ format, you can't use UVmapper.

Blacky - It's easy Use, as template, any of the Maxis textures: see how the various parts of the counter are mapped on the texture, and keep the same type of mapping (i.e., the countertop mapped off-texture in the location displayed in my previous screenshot, the counterfinish mapped on the lower part of the texture).
If you look at one of the "dirty" textures of an original counter, you will better understand where the various counter parts must be mapped.
In other words, I'm saying that your new, custom texture must have the same structure and subdivision as a Maxis texture (the upper part reserved for the top and the handles, the lower part for the finish).
You can find a couple of good "recolour templates", in this forum, that will help you to understand the usage of the various parts of the texture.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#30 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 4:07 AM
Thank you very much I thought it would be more complicated.

Visit my website www.simbuktu.de
Test Subject
#31 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 1:05 AM
Thank you for the response. I am aware that UVMapper Pro is not a free program, but I'd certainly look into it to see how much it costs knowing that it will display off-texture areas correctly. My trial is just about up on Milkshape as it is, so I'm going to have an investment to make anyway if I wish to continue using it. But that may have to wait a couple of months as I'm in the middle of house shopping and will be moving come January.

Thanks again for all of the info!

Dino's Rose
Field Researcher
#32 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 2:56 AM
Just wanted to add that these counter templates work great

I do not do requests; please don't ask!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 7:47 PM Last edited by cwin1024 : 3rd Dec 2006 at 9:11 PM.
I love this template. Thanks so much Numenor. Is there any way to add glass to the doors? I wasn't sure since it already has 2 subsets.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 11:24 PM
You can add any number of not recolourable subsets to a mesh (on the other hand, you can't have more than two recolourable subsets).
Add the mesh in the GMDC, create a TXMT & Texture for it, and put a reference to the new TXMT into the Shape.

Lab Assistant
#35 Old 4th Dec 2006 at 9:31 PM
Oh thank you so much, that worked great! You're the best!
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th Feb 2007 at 3:12 PM
My question is the same as Shannanisims, since we don't give the island it's own name during the scenegraph rename wizard, do we bother with fix integrity? Also, has anything changed now with PETS out? Perhaps I'm the only one who is having problems with the island not showing up at all?
kay
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 12:59 AM
The fix integrity is a powerful tool, and usually can be used as many times as you want. I said "usually" because it actually has a bug, that affects custom objects that borrow the texture from a maxis object (this is not the case: here, all the textures are included in the main custom counter).

Of course, I've double checked, and I did *not* forget to suggest a needed Fix Integrity in any step of the tutorial; but if you are in doubt, do the fix.

If the island (or any other item) is invisible, there's a problem in the names of the internal files (the ones that appear listed in the scenegraph rename wizard) or there's a problem with the mesh: be sure that the mesh names are exactly as the original mesh (counterfinish and countertop).

If you can't solve your problem, post your packages (all of them) here, or in the Object Repair forum.

Test Subject
#38 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 1:07 PM
*of course* thank you so much for clearing that up. I appreciate your help very much. Unfortunately, I cannot post my package for repair since I was trying to create an island counter to go along with 4esf kitchen set 8 which I donated for. Although . . . would the entire 3 piece set need to be made from your templates to work? Perhaps that is the problem I'm running into? In any case, I'll try to figure something out. I've made an island counter before, one to match a Maxis kitchen counter but for some reason I cannot get anything I do now show up. *sigh*
And yet, it's so similar to the master/slave technique & all, I can do that in my sleep...and I know not to change the names...so what am I missing? Sorry, that was a rhetorical question
kay
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 10:13 PM
No, you are not bound to use the Templates for all the three; but I've created the Templates because linking an island to its counter is not that easy, and the Templates are easier to use.
There are several possibilities of making a mistake, if you do the linkage by hand; and without seeing the actual packages, I can't know where the problem is...

Test Subject
#40 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 1:03 PM
I know, thank you for endeavoring to assist me anyway, I know your busy and I appreciate your time. I'm sure I'm just missing something somewhere. I agree, the templates are easier to use. I tried to figure out why Maxis made it so that you can't recolor the brass for their value door yesterday--made the same door but it fits across 2 tiles. Got tired of 2-tile walls having 1-tile doors that didn't center across. I can re-make the door, of course, but wanted it to show up as original (overwrite the original). All was well until I used that "fix integrity", well, you know what happened then, bet you were smiling the whole time-right? Why do idiots like me keep trying to do what is clearly too complicated? Cause I'm not going to bother every one out there for every little thing I want. "Hey, can you make this...?" "Hey, can you fix this luxury tv that was an exclusive from Best Buy that I'm clearly not to share?..." I really don't like that whole gimmick with EA Games. Seems unfair not to make the luxury tv a gift at the main site available to everyone, especially since it uses the same textures as the stereo and all--BUT, it can't be recolored because. . . I'm guessing it has something to do with the material overrides being in a separate package, tv chattels or something like that. Posted a help thread in the appropriate forum, nobody answered. You see my point about trying to get others to do things for me? I'm not really particularly good at smoozing. . .LOL
kay
Test Subject
#41 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 6:41 PM
I'm not sure if I understand this correct. Is it right that I can't make a new uv-map with the free version of UVMapper because then the sinks won't fit in the counters? If this is right, is there a free programm, which can do this?

And is there a tut, that explain how to make new kitchens? This is my first try and I don't realy understand how to make identical knob (for example) for each counter.

Sorry for my English, I hope you understand me....
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 15th Mar 2007 at 9:41 AM
You guessed right: UVmapper classic is not good to remap the counter tops; but please note that, technically speaking, only the countertop can't be remapped, while the "counterfinish" can be remapped at will. But again, since both part use the same texture, remapping the counterfinish with UVmapper classic without modifying the texture would only lead to ugly results.

Wings is a 3D editor that has UV-mapping capabilities (but it only works with OBJ files, and therefore you need Milkshape in order to restore the animations for the doors and drawers); if anyone has other suggestions for a free UV-mapping program, please tell us.

Test Subject
#43 Old 15th Mar 2007 at 4:51 PM
Oh, I work with wings 3D. Then I better take Milkshape for my kitchen.
I realise, kitchens are very difficult to do...

And thanks for you answer!
Test Subject
#44 Old 15th May 2007 at 10:51 PM
Thank you Numenor! :D
Field Researcher
#45 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 7:30 PM
First of all: Thanks for these great templates. Your time and efforts are very much appreciated, Numenor.

Second: I have a problem with not remapping the countertop too. When I open my modified mesh in UV Mapper to remap the counterfinish the countertop has been moved to the bottom half of the UV map, which kind of messes everything up. Could the problem be that I have completely deleted the counterfinish that came with the template and redrawn a new one?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 1:53 PM
Thankyou so very much for your fantastic templates Numenor i made my counters and their working . i am just wondering if i make new counters again do you have to use the templates or just clone maxis ones but don;t edit the countertop flat part or remap it
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#47 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 9:05 AM
I always suggest to use the templates: the problems that you have when cloning the Maxis counters are not related only to the top UVmap...

Lab Assistant
#48 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 2:54 PM
Sorry Numenor i was trying and meat to say when i clone the maxis counters my sink has no hole on top of the counter or the top disappears is that because i edited the countertop .So you have to use the templates for every new counters you want to make . When i use your templates but the recolor only shows up on the one with the doors not on the draws .i use the template for draws & doors .
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#49 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 12:00 AM
If you don't want to lose the sink hole, you shouldn't edit the top, whether you are cloning a maxis counter od these templates.

As for the recolour not showing on the drawers counter, be sure that - when cloning the templates - the option "make stand-alone object" is always deactivated.

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by
If you don't want to lose the sink hole, you shouldn't edit the top, whether you are cloning a maxis counter od these templates.

As for the recolour not showing on the drawers counter, be sure that - when cloning the templates - the option "make stand-alone object" is always deactivated.

OOPS thankyou Numenor i think i had stand alone ticked i will make them again .
Thankyou Numenor for explaining about the maxis counter , but i must say you templates for the counter are really fantastic and make it easy to do custom ones without the standalone tick in clone options silly me I will make sure its not tick.
Page 2 of 4