Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 23rd Aug 2006 at 1:21 AM Last edited by rashia : 23rd Aug 2006 at 2:19 AM.
I have both latest versions, and also I noticed that assigning bones works just fine on a limited user account, but not an administrator account. I'm not really sure whats the cause...
I have updated my drivers and it now works with my admin account. Another question, is it supposed to make a sound when pressing the commit button?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 9:30 AM
Please help i dident see how you made the mesh package in the thing can you show screen shots how to get the mesh package i can do eveything but geting the mesh package

I need to get Affiliated! :)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#53 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 10:20 AM
wazza, go back and reread that part at the beginning that you're confused about - it links you to information on how to do that. Also, considering your past questions and when they were asked, I really don't think you're quite ready to work on hair yet. Hair is rather difficult, and there's a lot of fiddly bits that can go weird. I think you'll be a lot better prepared to tackle a project of this magnitude once you've gone back and successfully made several body meshes, and gotten really comfortable using Milkshape. Go back to the first Unimesh tutorial, do the tutorial as written, keep messing with small changes like that, experimenting and seeing what you can do and what problems you run into - then go on to the other Unimesh body tutorials and again, do as written, then fiddle and play and see what happens. When you're a lot more comfortable with those, then come back here.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#54 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 1:45 PM
I followed your tutorial, but I have the same problem most people here have; my new mesh doesn't show up in Bodyshop.
When I open the mesh-file in SimPE, and check the preview of the gmdc Only the "hair" is checked and visible. When I also check the "hair_alpha's" the preview shows my new and customized mesh. After committing, I reloaded the fil in SimPE, and the "alpha's" are unchecked again. I did this twice, and even replaced the gmdc again (with proper copy + paste of the original name) but I don't see any changes in BodyShop, whatever age I pick.
I deleted the Resource + Shapefiles for sure.
Do you have any idea what my problem might be?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#55 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 2:27 PM
Those checkboxes in SimPE are only for what the preview will show if you hit the 'preview' button and have nothing to do with anything else. All the parts of your mesh are there.

When you are looking to view your modified hair, did you modify the file in your SAVED SIMS folder (not in your projects folder)

When you are trying to view your new hair, are you saying 'new project' in bodyshop and then looking for the hair? Are you clicking on the thumbnail and actually viewing it on the head of your sim? Viewing your old project won't do it.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#56 Old 9th Sep 2006 at 5:33 AM
Thanks
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
wazza, go back and reread that part at the beginning that you're confused about - it links you to information on how to do that. Also, considering your past questions and when they were asked, I really don't think you're quite ready to work on hair yet. Hair is rather difficult, and there's a lot of fiddly bits that can go weird. I think you'll be a lot better prepared to tackle a project of this magnitude once you've gone back and successfully made several body meshes, and gotten really comfortable using Milkshape. Go back to the first Unimesh tutorial, do the tutorial as written, keep messing with small changes like that, experimenting and seeing what you can do and what problems you run into - then go on to the other Unimesh body tutorials and again, do as written, then fiddle and play and see what happens. When you're a lot more comfortable with those, then come back here.

thanks HystericalParoxysm you been helping me to mesh thanks! i will try that.

I need to get Affiliated! :)
Test Subject
#57 Old 9th Sep 2006 at 5:34 PM
@Tiggerypum: I figured out I forgot to copy the file I made with bodyshop (and copied to my work-folder) back into the savedsims-folder. Now I have a working mesh! Thanks for your very quick answer!
Field Researcher
#58 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 4:02 PM Last edited by Mage : 15th Sep 2006 at 7:23 PM.
Thanks for the tutorials and all the help. I have a problem that I've actually had and and solved before when I was using the Mesh Tool method. But it was a long time ago and now I can't remember or figure out what iis wrong. When moving the vertices around I was carefull to alter both alphas together, and I didn't change the texture at all. I have tried redoing everything with the same result: there is an area of invisability around some of the edges which makes the hair behind it invisible as well. Thanks.

Oh! The answer is here. Thanks Pinhead and everyone!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#59 Old 23rd Sep 2006 at 3:05 AM Last edited by DsimsD : 23rd Sep 2006 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Making it more relevant
Hey I've been following your tutorial and i (finally!) finished my mod on the bobcut hair making it longer, but now it looks all funny in bodyshop like only one alpha layer is showing up, i checked it through and the preview for it in SimPE looked fine but I don't know what's gone wrong

See that's the base hair (it's on teen)

This is the adult version, see the fringe is invisible aswell as others when you turn it -

and when you zoom out it dissappears.
any suggestions? Any particular steps i should repeat or things to look over? Or is my problem the same as mage's?...????????????????...???????????????????????????????????????????! Someone help meeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#60 Old 23rd Sep 2006 at 10:00 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 23rd Sep 2006 at 10:36 PM.
Bone assignments are not at 100%. Or you left them assigned to the animation vertices.

Look at message #6 in the hair tutorial - MilkShape UniMesh Vertex Assignments

There's also an article about it in the infocenter: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=131417 (which I'm updating, we didn't have the more advanced tutorials when it was first written)

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#61 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 2:41 AM
Hey thanks Tig! I made a typo in the bone assignments and didn't commit all on one of them but i fixed it up and the mesh works!

Hooray
Test Subject
#62 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 10:01 PM Last edited by theeyeclops : 2nd Oct 2006 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add
Default my problem
Hey there! first off, this was a great tut and after a bit of trying i've got it to work (mostly!) Well, here's the prob: I've got everything all nice and i've got the gmdc replaced and everything. only thing is, when i have it in bodyshop it's invisible although when i preview it in SimPE it shows the right model but it's all black. Is it a problem that I completely replaced the model and did my own uvmap? (it's a helmet) the original hair was all one piece and ive used milkshape b4 so that was no problem. also all my textures are right (though what's the third gray one for? (amhair_Casual1~hair~stdMatNormalMapTextureName))

thanks for your patience.

Edit: also in milkshape it looks fine with the texture added, but black without.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#63 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 1:30 AM
your new hair probably has no normals. It might also be 'inside out'. The backside or mesh w/o normals will look black or very dark in milkshape, and the backside of a mesh is invisible in bodyshop.
Try grabbing a group in your mesh and using the align normals tool on it and see if the color brightens a lot - export that gmdc and see if you get any changes.
Also you do understand that your new hair (new uvmap or not) must have the same number of groups with the same names and same comments and all that as the mesh you based it on.

Test Subject
#64 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 3:04 AM Last edited by theeyeclops : 3rd Oct 2006 at 3:43 AM.
Default where?
ok, but where is the normals tool? i tried face to front but nothin' doing... is it that i imported from 3ds max?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#65 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 5:52 AM
did you do unimesh tutorial #3? link to demon's normal tool there.

Test Subject
#66 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 7:23 PM Last edited by theeyeclops : 3rd Oct 2006 at 7:45 PM.
awesome! now everythings perfect!
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 11th Oct 2006 at 5:28 PM
High, everyone! I've been following Hair mesh tutorial by Dr Pixel (thanks a lot, it helped me so much to start meshing), but I didn't get how to link 3DIR files for elder and young adult. I've done my mesh, but it shows only for adult, so aparently I'haven't linked the 3DIR files. Please would you explain it to stupid me step by step?
And also I wanted to ask if their any tutorials about assignment of longer hair, as well as for converting hair for different ages?

Thank you for your help.
retired moderator
#68 Old 11th Oct 2006 at 5:36 PM
natef005 - You can use the same mesh for adult, elder, and young adult, as they use the same skeleton and are all exactly the same size (at least when it comes to the head/hair). Open your recolour file and click on the "Instance" header in the resource list to sort by instance number. Scroll through and look for Property Sets that start with "af" if you're doing a female hair, "am" if you're doing a male hair. Note the instance number of the first property set like that, and then replace the CRES and SHPE in the 3DIR that matches the same instance number. There will be two that have a standard colour bin name in the text (i.e. "afhairfuzzylongcp_black" which are for adult and young adult) and a third that ends in _grey (i.e. "afhairfuzzylongcp_grey" which is the adult). If you want the mesh to work for adult, young adult, and elder, you'll look for the 3DIRs that have the same instance number as all three of those Property Sets and replace the CRES and SHPE in all three of those.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 11th Oct 2006 at 9:36 PM
Oh, thank you soooooooo much!!! I've done it and it works. I'm so happy cause I've moved a bit further thanks to you and people like you who help us creating.....)
Test Subject
#70 Old 12th Oct 2006 at 6:54 AM
hey dr pixel! this is such a good tutorial! i really appreciate your hard work! but i have three questions:

1) when i edited that short pony tail, it also replaced the original one and now i don't have the short pony tail anymore instead i have a long one. was that understandable? :/

2) why can't we delete the vertexes and other stuff or why not add them? and can't we merge some groups together? like in photoshop which says merge down.

3) and one last question, i could only get a new mesh from the pony tail and my other meshes never ever show up in the game, even though i do not delete anything in milkshape.

help me plz, thankyou! ~ Mandy
retired moderator
#71 Old 12th Oct 2006 at 7:09 AM
Mandymand:

1) You didn't do Fix Integrity when you put your mesh parts together. Fix Integrity gives your mesh a new name and makes it unique (not a default replacement, which is what you've created). That's covered in the Unimesh body tutorials and pretty standard - if you've done body meshing (as you should have before attempting hair) you should be familiar with that.

2) You can delete and add vertices in hair meshing using Unimesh. However, this tutorial was more geared toward showing you the basic steps involved in creating a hair mesh, not making/mapping/editing shapes beyond a little pull of vertices. When you get into adding or removing parts things get a LOT more complicated. You cannot merge groups together, however, unless you'd like there to be a bunch of ugly transparency issues around the edges of your alpha cutouts. Groups need to be arranged in a precise order, number, and with the right settings or you'll end up with a very yucky looking mesh, therefore it was kept the same as the original for this tutorial. There is information on groups and layering for hair meshes in the Infocenter.

3) Meshes not showing up are generally due to one or more of several factors... If you have the recolour package showing up but not your correct mesh, it's most likely due to your mesh not being linked correctly to the recolour package, the mesh not being in the Downloads folder, or the mesh being otherwise messed up (wrong group names or missing comments on groups).

Hair is one of the hardest Body Shop Meshing creations you can make - the layering, assignments, and transparency settings make even experienced hair meshers stare blankly at the screen and pop more aspirin than is probably healthy. If you are not already very experienced with body meshing, you will likely find hair meshing extremely difficult, and your first and third questions suggest that perhaps you need more body meshing experience. Check out Tiggerypum's Unimesh tutorials (1-3) for lots of great info on meshing as it relates to Body Shop meshes. I think once you go through those and experiment a lot more with body meshing on your own, you'll be more prepared to make a good hair mesh.

Test Subject
#72 Old 13th Oct 2006 at 8:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Mandymand:

1) You didn't do Fix Integrity when you put your mesh parts together. Fix Integrity gives your mesh a new name and makes it unique (not a default replacement, which is what you've created). That's covered in the Unimesh body tutorials and pretty standard - if you've done body meshing (as you should have before attempting hair) you should be familiar with that.

2) You can delete and add vertices in hair meshing using Unimesh. However, this tutorial was more geared toward showing you the basic steps involved in creating a hair mesh, not making/mapping/editing shapes beyond a little pull of vertices. When you get into adding or removing parts things get a LOT more complicated. You cannot merge groups together, however, unless you'd like there to be a bunch of ugly transparency issues around the edges of your alpha cutouts. Groups need to be arranged in a precise order, number, and with the right settings or you'll end up with a very yucky looking mesh, therefore it was kept the same as the original for this tutorial. There is information on groups and layering for hair meshes in the Infocenter.

3) Meshes not showing up are generally due to one or more of several factors... If you have the recolour package showing up but not your correct mesh, it's most likely due to your mesh not being linked correctly to the recolour package, the mesh not being in the Downloads folder, or the mesh being otherwise messed up (wrong group names or missing comments on groups).

Hair is one of the hardest Body Shop Meshing creations you can make - the layering, assignments, and transparency settings make even experienced hair meshers stare blankly at the screen and pop more aspirin than is probably healthy. If you are not already very experienced with body meshing, you will likely find hair meshing extremely difficult, and your first and third questions suggest that perhaps you need more body meshing experience. Check out Tiggerypum's Unimesh tutorials (1-3) for lots of great info on meshing as it relates to Body Shop meshes. I think once you go through those and experiment a lot more with body meshing on your own, you'll be more prepared to make a good hair mesh.

wow thanks! that was alot of info. I sure need to get more experience on body meshing then get myself started on hairmeshing. i will sure learn things better with your help, HystericalParoxysm. thanks a million bunches!
Test Subject
#73 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 2:32 AM
I need help, I really do not understand how to connect all of the same meshes for different ages into one package.
retired moderator
#74 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 8:39 AM
Bonita!, that's not really what the Unimesh hair tutoorial is about... But there is full instructions on how to do that here: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?p=1109813

It looks complicated, but basically, you just get your meshes for all ages working perfectly in separate packages. Then go into the toddler, child, and teen packages and extract all the parts to a separate folder, then import all the other age parts into the adult package. Don't do fix integrity at any point, and then just save your new mesh package with all your parts with a new name that reflects its new all-age-having-ness. Pretty darn easy, actually.

Test Subject
#75 Old 17th Oct 2006 at 4:56 AM
O, sorry, but I didn't know where to post questions for that.
Page 3 of 10