Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Game Edition addon (for creators/modders) *UPDATED to v1.1*

by dickhurt Posted 13th Oct 2008 at 4:00 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:28 PM by Nysha

43 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 37 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 5:42 PM
What Does It Do? PLZ HELP.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 6:07 PM
readme file explains it all. It is a set of global BHAVs to check which games are installed. Only useful for people making their own hacks, or for people that download my hacks.
Not actually evil.
#4 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 7:33 PM
Wow! Why has no one made this before? Thanks for sharing.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Oct 2008 at 9:26 AM
Nice idea.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Oct 2008 at 1:39 AM
Looking for something like this for a very long time, thank you.

Live life to the fullest.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 1st Nov 2008 at 9:58 PM Last edited by sleighill : 1st Nov 2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: addon...lol
Where do you install these files(this file)...in Downloads...and do I only need the df addon package installed...because I, for some reason cannot get my Community Lots to load since installing this and the Pets/Toddlers...Arrive at Community Lot In Normal Speed hacks. The hourglass just churns and churns...the taskmanager says the game is still running...nothing!

THEN...I get the infamous "CLP - Controller Lot Populator" error that won't go away. So...I assume I've put the game addition addon somewhere it shouldn't belong...I don't know... please help me...and thanks so much for these long awaited...well needed hacks. I have all expansions up to AL...and I donot have Pescados Phone Hack.

Thanks so much.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 7:18 PM
The proper install location for this "addon" *is* the Downloads. But this addon alone can't possibly cause the problems you mention, because it just does... nothing. It stays in your Downloads dormant, inactive, until another mod calls it.
Therefore, in my opinion, you should find the culprit of your troubles in some other package installed in your game, surely it's not the Game Edition addon to blame.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 3rd Nov 2008 at 3:18 AM
Thank you Oh Great One!...I put the blame on no one but myself...if you read further in the post. I mentioned that since I installed this and the hacks applied to it...I can't get my lots to load because "I" perhaps put it where it didn't belong.
Thanks for your help.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#10 Old 3rd Nov 2008 at 9:11 AM
I badly worded my thoughts; I just mean to reassure you that you installed the addon in the right place and suggest you to search the source of your problem in some other hack you might have installed (thus agreeing with you on this point).

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 3rd Nov 2008 at 5:27 PM
No prob Num....but you couldn've atleast added your infinate wisdom as to what may be causing this Controller Lot Populator #92 error...I mean after all...no one does is...knows it...shows it like you...! You da man! Do you know of any particular hack that would cause this? I know this isn't the correct place to post this...but while I've got wisdom by my side...I'm gonna use it! I'm honored that it was you that responded.
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 5:55 AM
Is this absolutely necessary for your hacks? Because, quite frankly, I don't need it- I'm not a modder and I couldn't care less about whatever-it-is-that-this-does- but all of your hacks insist I need this.
Test Subject
#13 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 11:28 PM
I cant find the read me are you talking about the read me file in the game (sims2) or the info on this hack??? I am gussing that this hack allows you to use other content from other versions but without all the stuff and everyhting else that comes with it??like only content from here?? help
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cole1
I cant find the read me are you talking about the read me file in the game (sims2) or the info on this hack??? I am gussing that this hack allows you to use other content from other versions but without all the stuff and everyhting else that comes with it??like only content from here?? help

Yes, the readme that is included in the download.
This hack is essentially a piece of code that checks for the game version- if you are downloading it then it will be because you have downloaded another hack which uses this code to function. You only need it if you are planning to use it in one of your own mods, or if you are downloading a hack which specifies that this is required.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 8:54 AM
Okay, Houston, we have a problem. And a very strange problem it is, indeed.

First, the paperwork. I'm running TS2, Uni, NL, OFB, SSN, and FT (all patched) under XP Home SP2. Although I doubt hardware has anything to do with this problem, I have a P4 3.0 Ghz, a couple of gigs on the motherboard, SB Audigy 2ZS, GeForce FX5200. Old stuff, but it runs the Sims okay. I just this week installed SSN and FT, and patched them, so I should be up-to-date on my installation.

So, to the problem. I installed this addon exactly as suggested in the readme. Set up SimPE as instructed, all no problem. I had downloaded this addon because I wanted to use the hack that reduces car lag, which I find one of the more annoying "features" I've run across since adding SSN and FT to my game. Seemed to work okay.

But... and this is VERY weird... this addon causes me to be spammed with "this object owned by" popups whenever I mouse over a sink. What? 'Tis true, when I mouse over a sink, I get about eight popups. "This object owned by..." and numbers counting down from 14 to 2, then the advisement "This object may not be owned." So far as I can tell, this only happens with sinks -- but egad, is it annoying. It occurs with all sinks, whether Maxis or custom.

I couldn't believe this addon is what was causing this, but it is. I tossed my entire downloads folder and all custom content, leaving only the addon active, and the problem persisted. I tossed the addon folder, an ala-kazam, it stopped. I put back in all other custom content (except, of course, the automobile lag hack), kept the addon out, and the problem has not recurred.

Now, I have no idea in Hades why this hack should cause my game to check who owns a sink, but it does. Since that is WAY more annoying than the car lag, I've had to toss both of these hacks, and, as a bonus, I won't be able to use any of your other hacks. Real bummer.

It's clear this problem is not caused by some interaction with another hack, since it occurs even in an installation with no CC at all.

-- Mal

"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 8:21 AM
I am getting the same error and have been trying for days to get to the bottom of it. I use a lot of hacks but what ever one or ones requiring this have to go because I can only tolerate so much of that pop up. I made sure that I only extracted the actual file and the read me, and I wonder if it is an interaction with Insim and Inteen. I run the conflict utility hack and this is what it points to.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#17 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 10:03 AM Last edited by Numenor : 30th Dec 2008 at 10:13 AM.
Malthaussen, Tibby - You both made a mistake while installing, but it's entirely NOT your fault. The only package you have to install is "df_game_edition_addon.package"; you DON'T have to install any of the two "test" packages, that are just mere examples offered to creators about using the game edition code in their own creations.

Therefore, delete the files:
- test_game_edition_flags.package
- test_engines.package
and only keep the file:
- df_game_edition_addon.package
and you'll get rid of the messages about the sinks property, while keeping functional the various hacks by Dickhurt.

I said that it's not your fault, because I've carefully examined the post and the text files contained in the rar and there is not a single word about these two test packages; I, as an experienced modder, could examine those two packages and understand they were mere examples, but Dickhurt shouldn't have expected anyone to have such a knowloedge.

Dickurt - If you are reading this post, please consider the importance of giving support for your own creations. I see that you didn't connect since Oct 29th, I hope that nothing serious is going with you.
I added a note at the beginning of the main post; when you're back, feel free to delete the note and edit the post at will.

#18 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 6:29 PM
Thank you for the information, Numenor. On my system, they currently reside in the subarchives that were extracted from the original download. Now that I know what they are for, I may just install those Test files just to see what all the fuss is about, and, of course, to learn how to use the main package in my own creations. I had been wondering about how to call its functions.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Forum Resident
#19 Old 18th Mar 2009 at 1:36 AM
Marvelous!

Thank you.
Test Subject
#20 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 10:16 PM
does it allow college people adopting pets/strays?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 31st Mar 2009 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rixen88
does it allow college people adopting pets/strays?

I believe Rixen88 is referring to my "Pet modifications" hack from
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=303969
But no, it does not allow pet adoption at college. I left that out on purpose because the game will not allow the pets to come back home with you after you graduate college (unless you had some other hack that allows it).

Also, in regards to this Game Edition hack, it does need to be updated for Mansion & Garden stuff and will be updated soon. I've been offline for over 3 months.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 7th Apr 2009 at 2:21 AM
This is very clever! So instead of having to create multiple editions of the same hack, you just create one edition that checks to see which pieces should be loaded, by using this hack. Kudos Numenor, very nice!

Whoops - sorry! I came here from another of your threads, dickhurt, and I read the tagline Numenor put in the description page so mistook the originator of the hack. Kudos to YOU. This is really awesome.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 6:42 AM
Version 1.1 is now available. Previous version (downloaded 5977 times) could not detect M&G Stuff Pack, unless Apartment Life was also installed along with it.
Test Subject
#24 Old 11th Apr 2009 at 6:08 PM
what does this do?? does it like give you all the games without the stuff but allow you to dowload stuff for cc web sites to EPS you don't have? or just allows modders or like people who make stuff make stuff for that EP ???? ty!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 1:59 AM
Just like you said. It only allows modders or creators to have their files be compatible with all the EPs/SPs. That way they don't need to make a different version for each separate EP. I think having only 1 file that works for everyone on any EP is best.
Page 1 of 2