Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 7:56 PM Last edited by hazuitokage : 24th Oct 2009 at 9:57 PM.
Default A -tentative- list of objects and their groups
I'm going ahead and starting this thread, where people who have already cloned and fiddled with game objects can post info about the number of groups they possess. If they are so inclined .

I was thinking this type of template would be ok (feel free to add say if you think I missed something, which could very well be).

Object name (in the cloner)
Number of CAStable parts (thanks Anoushka -merci beaucoup ^^-)
Number of MLOD/MODL
Number of groups for each:
MLOD 0x00000000 : group
MLOD 0x00010000 : group
MLOD 0x00010001 : group
MODL 0x00000001 : group
(Texture size if it's not 128x256 ?)
Additional info of note you wish to add.

So here goes :

SculpturePlantIvyBallTopiarySmall
CAStable parts : 1
3 MLOD/1 MODL
MLOD 0x00000000 :2 group2
MLOD 0x00010000 :1 group
MLOD 0x00010001 :1 group
MODL 0x00000001 :1 group

SculptureTableCowPlant
3 MLOD/1 MODL
MLOD 0x00000000 :2 groups

CurtainsLoft
CAStable parts : 2
1 MLOD/1 MODL
MLOD 0x00000000 :1 group

PaintingFlowers
2 MLOD/1 MODL

SculptureAtriumFern
CAStable parts : 2
4 MLOD/1 MODL
MLOD 0x00000000 :3 group
MODL 0x00000001 :2 group

That's all I have for the moment readily available, but it's a start.
I'll have to check my failed experiments too, for more (it's kind of jumbled up at the moment) :P
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 8:16 PM
Mission (big one) Painting

1 MLOD/1 MODL

Sunflowers Vase

CAStable parts : 0 Glass Part: 1
2 MLOD/1 MODL

Notes: Don't map the glass part
Inventor
#3 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 8:23 PM Last edited by Cocomama : 24th Oct 2009 at 8:58 PM.
Very good idea hazuitokage!!
Maybe add the dimensions of the _IMG to edit? I mean some of those objects have really small ones and, in the case of textures, the original size seems to make a difference?

Oh yes orangemittens, and offcourse special treatment tips

Edit: maybe also the number of tiles, because of the footprint?

Placement ability, like floor table? Slots? Too much? :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 9:19 PM
Well the idea is yours, actually. I should have said that ^^.
But I thought the idea was more to provide info that is not already available in the tools ?

Though, to be honest, i'm not even sure what's available. especially if I have to dive in the code to find it... -___-
Inventor
#5 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 9:47 PM
I am always full of ideas, executing them is what matters.

Maybe just the number of groups and recolorable parts and please also the texture size?
With this Windows Texture Viewer you can open your original DDS files to check for the dimension (and the compression used)
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ure_viewer.html
Its a little standalone program, very smal and handy!

If there are special tips/information about the use of the object, we can add that like OM did?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 9:54 PM
Thank you for the viewer. I've had trouble with the nvidia utilities on Windows 7 so i hope it works.
Well, then, something like any further info that's deemed of note ?
For the textures, maybe it should be noted when they are not the standard 128x256 ? Most of the objects I used had this texture size, and reading the forum all this time, I was under the impression that this was the size a lot of objects were using.

Should I make a list in the first post of the objects already posted ?
I'll start compiling the info in a text file once we start to have a bit more than that.
Inventor
#7 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 10:58 PM Last edited by Cocomama : 24th Oct 2009 at 11:17 PM.
You can decide, we only give you info and feedback?

Maybe we should mention it, if one of the groups is a dropshadow?
We can not change a dropshadow into a "normal" group can we, or maybe we can?

More ideas, list in categories like surfaces, comfort ed?

I actually did see more textures with other dimensions, maybe it depends on the category?

Maybe consult Inge and Peter Jones about what is possible with the cloner to view the objects information?

Its sunday here already, I will collect and add my objects info tomorrow OK? Goodnight!
Alchemist
#8 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 12:54 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 25th Oct 2009 at 3:04 AM. Reason: eidted to add part in parentheses
Sorry to butt in here but the way I'm seeing it is that most objects have certain standards in regards to the number of MLODs they have. Some have sunshadow and some do not. There isn't much point in listing that all out when we all know exactly what we mean when we say there are sunshadow MLODs for this or that clone.

I think, for what it's worth, that if a list is going to be made there should be a master code kind of thing for issues like MLODs. There are basically what, three kinds of items? Items with only a MODL, items with MODL and MLOD, and items with MODL, MLOD, and sunshadow MLODs. So those should just be numbered. As in, Object Name: blah. Type: 1 (has only MODL) where the number would be given at the top of the list so everyone knew what it meant. Otherwise the list is just a string of visual clutter that is neither necessary or efficient.

Group number is basically the same kind of thing. There are items with a single group, items with a single group + shadow, and items with two groups and a shadow. These could be similarly coded by number with the code given at the top of the list.

(Once a person gets used to the coding system the number assigned will become a symbol that automatically converts in their mind to the full thing you're trying to convey but with a lot less thought. That is what symbols are for.)

Texture size would then be a third line and would be given in terms of the IMG size. How many recolorable parts, unrecolorable parts, and glass parts would be a fourth line.

Probably best to list by original name of object organized by category.

In any case, all this writing out of MLODs, MODLs and group numbers seems a waste of time to me and, again, will lead to nothing but visual clutter that can be efficiently reduced.

Someone needs to just start an Excel spreadsheet or some such thing and start plugging things into it using codes to stand for standarized things. That person should be a volunteer because this is going to be a tedious and thankless task. No fair just electing someone else to do it.

My two cents.

OM
In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 2:42 AM
so, to be clear, this info is only available once the MLODs/MODL are decompiled, right?

I was soo trying to avoid compiling something like this, was comparing items to see if the info is available in S3PE (especially all those unknowns) before any decompilation is done, so the info can be filtered in some way
Alchemist
#10 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 2:51 AM
I think so. I know of no other way to get at it other than decompiling it. Which is why it is best for a thread like this to consist of multiple contributers with a volunteer who adds all the new information to a spreadsheet.

But again, it isn't fair to just suggest a certain individual should take on the organization of all the information. This will be a lot of work and HT shouldn't be made to feel obligated to complete the task just because she started this thread.

OM
In the Arena
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 2:59 AM
how abt if we move it to the wiki? no spreadsheet needed, then...
just someone to explain how to update the wiki page, which can be a list of intructions at the top of the wiki page
Alchemist
#12 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 3:11 AM
I confess I don't know **** about the Wiki. If you lead the way I'll follow though. If I decompile something I'm more than happy to add it to a community collection of objects as long as the collection is coded appropriately.

OM
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 4:57 AM
I have no problem helping to update/create the wiki page. Once it's created the updating is not too difficult to comprehend. The information that seems relevant is the number of castable items and the size of the image, maybe even the default image type (wood, carpet, etc). I've been meaning to start this anyway, just been extremely sidetracked by school and finals (94%, yay!). Not everything seems to have a sunshadow, so maybe the presence of one? But listing the modl seems kinda too much to me.

I can probably dig up my windows to add that info too, since diagonals have to be created separately for some sizes.

I see it as Item name, Size of footprint, Image size, Number of castable parts, default texture.
Alchemist
#14 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 5:13 AM
The good, and bad, thing about the wiki is that everyone can edit it. And in my (not always humble) opinion, content trumps formatting. I have put a lot of stuff on the wiki over the years, and a lot of it has been dressed up by other people that can remember all the wiki formatting rules.

If you want to start this, just type out a bunch of lines and put the tag <pre> at the beginning and </pre> at the end of the text. Then the spaces and tabs stay looking like you are used to in NotePad, etc. Someone else can dress the text up later into a table by adding the correct | characters.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#15 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 9:03 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 25th Oct 2009 at 12:41 PM.
"in my (not always humble) opinion, content trumps formatting"

No argument here darlin'. As I said, I don't know anything about Wiki pages. I'm sure you must be right about getting one started for this project.

As far as using spaces and tabs, "...like you are used to in NotePad..." well...that leaves me out since I don't know much about NotePad as we've already established Shwew.

Since it probably isn't going to be much fun doing the clerical work of creating such a list the format of it and the content to include should be up to whoever is kind enough to take it on IMO. I agree with HL though, including all that information about MLOD's and such seems a little much.

OM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 12:56 PM
Lol, Things happen while you're asleep.
So basically, I'm fine with anything of the above, except for one thing :
Giving symbols to the different configurations seems to be an unnecessary complication since the aim is to give plain info, not further complicate the understanding. Everybody should be able to use this list, without having to refer to yet another list of references.
Another thing : not every object has so few group instances, I opened a window that had no less than 7 groups (shadow included) in the MLOD, but the MODL had only 4 of those. The numbers aren't always consistent.
So again, this works against making references for types of grouping by objects.

IMO, just give the info as is is best. Let's just decide what info this is. HL suggestion seems perfectly fine. I too made a quick list of deco table-top objects by castable parts when I decided I would start with those. That's sort of a natural process, I think most of us do examine what clones are available and end up with the idea of a list in the back of our heads
So maybe we don't need all the MODL/MLOD info ? Just the object listed by function ?), the castable parts, the group numbers (for main MLOD and MODL, lets forget the sun shadows), texture size (and default texture)? What else, footprint ?

I'm ready to contribute with my findings (wherever it ends up), but I have neither the time nor the inclination to tend to something that becomes really complicated...

HL, congrats on your results ! :D
Alchemist
#17 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 1:07 PM
Your points sound reasonable to me HT.

7 groups in a single window? Ick. Now I know why no one likes doing windows.

OM
Inventor
#18 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 10:25 AM
A while ago I started a list of all the objects in categories in the basegame, maybe it can be of use when making the final list?

Its the in-game object names from Home-Decor with the price and number of recolors only and it is not complete. When I wanted to complete the list yesterday, I found that my game did not start anymore, and spend most of my precious computer time finding out why.

The name in the game is different than the internal name in the cloner, so that should be added to the list, and I have no idea if it is usefull for anybody else than me as it is now.
I started the list to be able to know what object came with the basegame and what is CC. If you do not use the launcher to install CC, you have no indication it is custom content, do you?

Maybe Inge and Peter Jones can help with a list of all the objects with their names and categories etc.? It is all information used in the cloner, so it is listed already, complete with in-game and internal names.

Is there confirmation already, about what information we will provide in the list?
I am actually waiting to see what others are posting, to know what to include exactly
Alchemist
#19 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 10:44 AM
"The name in the game is different than the internal name in the cloner, so that should be added to the list".

This is a great idea. Searching through the list of EA items trying to find a specific one has already gotten old. It would be nice to know exactly what everything is named.

I hope you got your computer situation straightened out.

OM
Inventor
#20 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 12:20 PM
Yeah, its working again! Remember I had trouble with Milkshape and I updated my video-card drivers? Thats what caused the game no longer starting!

Well, at least after doing a uninstall and re-install I now have a complete vanilla game again, with no added CC, so the list will be more accurate with basegame only.

I'll better go and ask Inge about a possible objects list with internal and in-game names, and maybe other specifications possible. Making that list is horrible with all those "funny" object names!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#21 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 12:59 PM
I exported the OBJD resources from S3PE and pasted the filenames into Excel (roundabout fashion as I don't know how to load the DLLs from s3pi), used some formulae to separate the filenames from the TGIs - I then realised S3OC object list has more entries than the OBJD resources in s3pe, so there are some objects missing (the TGI keys do not tally).

I know it (s3oc) cobbles together a view for us as the THUMs are in a separate thumbnail package and the _IMG are in fullbuild2.package, and various other stuff from elsewhere (?not sure?) when it executes the cloning...but what I want to know is:

Does anyone know where else S3OC gets the (Normal) object list from? (I hope Inge/Peter reads this thread)

ps: cocomama, great news on your game working again; and HL, glad finals went well...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#22 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 1:56 PM
Not sure of exactly what S3OC pulls, but info is also in the xml of each object. Which appears to be in fullbuild0. But each one is listed individually so it's a bit time-consuming and I haven't started that. This lists the object name (I think catalog name) and the number of channels that are enabled. But in S3OC doesn't the list on the left represent the internal name and on the right it shows the catalog name?

How about separately the list based on object type? Because that's how I am going to be looking for an object, wouldn't you?
Inventor
#23 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 2:19 PM Last edited by Cocomama : 26th Oct 2009 at 6:00 PM.
Yes, at least I am, maybe not for all objects, but I think you have too, if you want your objects to use the same animations.

I will attach the list I have sofar, maybe it is not usefull for the objectlist, but is in/lists the categories that are used in the Buy catalog in-game.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS3- Object in Categories-Home-Decor.zip (3.3 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
#24 Old 28th Oct 2009 at 1:29 AM
Cocomama, I'm running a fever and my brain isn't working right today so I'm sorry if this is silly. But let me ask you, when you say there are __ colors, you mean recolor options right?

OM
Inventor
#25 Old 28th Oct 2009 at 3:30 PM
Sorry for your illness orangemittens, hope you will feel better soon!

That list I have started even before I knew anything about recorable parts in an object,
So if it says .. colors, it are the number of colors (presets?) the object has available, to choose from in the Buy catalogus in the game.

I am not sure if completing that list is nessecairy, sorry I never looked at the painting section yet.

I know IngeJones mentioned the need of a list of the objects with the number of recolorable parts etc. and I hope she and pljones, can find a faster/better way to collect the information to create such a list.
Page 1 of 3