Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#26 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I repeat: "huh?"

I would say that the fact that a world requires less time investment means that there'll be a heck of a lot more experimentation Faster iteration!

Definition: "Iteration is the act of repeating a process with the aim of approaching a desired goal, target or result._"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iteration

That's just what I dread. I like the process of thinking "of I'm mostly finished with the routing, it's nothing more than fun from now on", from now on that lasts about a day and then you have a shorter time before you have to start that process all over again. Something being that timeconsuming has different parts and the fact that the project is big makes it easier to divide it into parts of fun in between the dreaded routing and such. It's also a lot of knowledge that needs to be learned and it takes time as well.

I guess it all comes down to how much of a perfectionist you are, I like things to be as close to perfect as I can. Another point is that I like making houses, so I like that part of the job to last for a long time. 30 lots just isn't fun in my eyes.
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#27 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Definition: "Iteration is the act of repeating a process with the aim of approaching a desired goal, target or result._"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iteration

That's just what I dread. I like the process of thinking "of I'm mostly finished with the routing, it's nothing more than fun from now on", from now on that lasts about a day and then you have a shorter time before you have to start that process all over again. Something being that timeconsuming has different parts and the fact that the project is big makes it easier to divide it into parts of fun in between the dreaded routing and such. It's also a lot of knowledge that needs to be learned and it takes time as well.

I guess it all comes down to how much of a perfectionist you are, I like things to be as close to perfect as I can. Another point is that I like making houses, so I like that part of the job to last for a long time. 30 lots just isn't fun in my eyes.

Except that in a flat world, routing shouldn't be an issue at all Doubt you'll even need a routing layer.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 3:00 PM
Create a Neighbourhood would be perfect -- let creators throw out regions to mix and match with.
Test Subject
#29 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 11:34 PM
I'm going to show my ignorance about creating mods in general. But I'm wondering, is this something modding community may be able to do something with to allow us to create or edit worlds if EA does not give us CAW?
Forum Resident
#30 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wmissie048
I'm going to show my ignorance about creating mods in general. But I'm wondering, is this something modding community may be able to do something with to allow us to create or edit worlds if EA does not give us CAW?

I would never underestimate the capabilities of the modding community, but I just don't know.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 7:40 AM
I do remember that it took a while for the modding community to properly 'crack' Sims 3 open to allow proper custom content with new meshes and all. But they did it, and I suspect they will again. Unless they are finally fed up with having to create half of the game for EA, unpaid.
dodgy builder
#32 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Except that in a flat world, routing shouldn't be an issue at all Doubt you'll even need a routing layer.

I'm hard to please Srikandi, now I'm just bored

I wouldn't even call that world creations, the only thing you need is a gardener.

Making caw is heavy business I'm being told, so you need lots of different people to make it probably. Not something I expect a modder to bite their teeth into.
Test Subject
#33 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 3:47 AM
I think they will have you pick a landscape (lush or desert). Then create a neighborhood that will give different shaped neighborhoods like a circle shape or a curve street. Then you can name the neighborhood and then add your lots. If they do create a CAW tool it should be like this.
Theorist
#34 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 5:35 AM
Oh, I know, I know! They should just use the new SimCity as a map editor....

Oh, wait. It was so dumbed down a person can't even edit maps.

Anyone noticing a trend here?
Eminence Grise
#35 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 6:43 AM
Well, since this thread has been bumped anyway... just want to direct people to SimGuruModSquad's answer to questions from me and PlasticBox today about the prospects for world editing in TS4. Not only have they ACTUALLY assigned a SimGuru to the Mods forum over there, he was pretty informative. And more or less supported my conjectures above World editing should be easier than for TS3, and there's no reason modders can't do it; and if we encounter difficulties, they'll help

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...-editing#latest
Instructor
#36 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 1:15 PM
Thanks for the link. Nothing really concrete, but at least they are talking, so that's a good sign. We will see, then.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#37 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 2:14 PM
Yeah, we made contact .. was quite promising. Intelligent life on Planet EA! \o/

I also started a thread over inModding Discussion, for more or less educated guessing =).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 6:55 PM
You know what I want to build? An English street! Row houses that sit flush with each other, some semi-detached, a park or shopping parade at each end to cordon it off, and alleys that run between and behind the houses all around the perimeter with meshed other houses behind the alleys to create the illusion of being in a real neighbourhood. Each household would have a family living in it and they could hang out in communal areas (street, park and shops) and hold gatherings, grow older together and have friendly (or not-so) rivalries like a real community.

Aside from those dreams, I'd be more than happy with the customisablity TS2 offered. TS3's approach was too ambitious. CAW seemed to be in permanent beta, it took forever to create anything worthwhile, and then a lot of the stuff available to download was very similar and/or buggy because creators didn't know or care enough. Obviously there have been some excellent worlds, but for me it never seemed like the time and effort v.s. payoff would've worked out - mostly because at the end of the day, it was still TS3.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#39 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:23 PM
You'll be happy to hear what the EA guy had to say about adjacent lots, then: "Regarding adjacent lots: That limitation was due to a specific idiosyncrasy of the Sims 3 routing system so pretty sure that's not an issue with Sims 4. But I will check with our routing guys next week to be sure, so stay tuned."

I asked him about walls on lot borders, too. Will post in Create when I hear anything.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#40 Old 8th May 2015 at 7:08 PM
I totally agree! I liked sims 2 neighbourhood building, anyway, I don't know if it would be possible especially with the way the map works, to have a CAW tool like in sims 3.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 9th May 2015 at 1:04 AM
I thought in the beginning it may be something that would come along later in the Sims 4 run, but after GTW came out it became more evident there probably won't be custom worlds without problems. The way the worlds are constructed and how they look in live mode just seems they have a plan for this and the map is probably already complete, just has to be opened up every new EP or Game Pack.

The best I think they would do is allow players to rename the worlds. I agree that the Sims 2 was best for lot placement and world space.
Forum Resident
#42 Old 9th May 2015 at 1:52 PM
This is something that TS2 players will probably be more optimistic about, because from what I can see, the little districts are similar to the subhoods. I think we'll definitely get a way to add new hoods to our game, but for the TS3 players who haven't played 2, the approach is probably going to be very different to what they're used to. As a TS2 player myself, the idea of a subhood style district that I could just add and customise, is pretty okay. I would prefer to have more than five lots personally, but not having to build a TS3 style world doesn't bother me. What does is the fact that we can't place lots where we choose. I really really hate that, and although I'd like to be optimistic about the likelihood of having that functionality in future releases, I doubt that it's going to happen. If we don't get apartment capabilities (that are very, very good - and I do mean VERY good), then it's going to be a struggle to build my towns the way I'd like to and that's a shame.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 9th May 2015 at 3:23 PM
Subhoods were far bugger than any area in TS4, because subhoods were actual neighborhoods attacked to other neighborhoods. Imagine if "Downtown" in TS2 was the size magnolia promenade.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#44 Old 9th May 2015 at 3:57 PM
The only way I can see myself moving past making sims is if they do create some sort of "neighborhood" redesign tool. I don't have anywhere to put the sims that I create. I'm not sure I can get past the horrid opening screen, or teeny tiny groups of houses or the loading screens, but it might help. I might even get into creating content then.
One Minute Ninja'd
#45 Old 10th May 2015 at 3:15 AM
As this thread seems to have been successfully resurrected, any update on where things are with this?. I mean from the posts in August of last year, it sounded like the mod Guru over on the official forum was reportedly being really helpful at seeing something develop that would provide the ability to make hoods. So, any progress at all with this since then?
Mad Poster
#46 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 4:17 AM
BUMP. I wish EA would give us an update on this. We need more space! More lots. There are lots I want to do now and cannot as there is no place to build them. And it would be nice to be able to clean up some of the things in the current worlds such as nuking the dinosaurs. If EA can do worlds, there are people in the community that can do them too.

And those of us with hardware that can handle more lots in a neighborhood need the option to have more.
Instructor
#47 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:48 AM
I think it's quite possible. The way all the neighborhoods are set up and divided in districts, I don't see why not. It's just a lot of work. And that just happens to be EA's worth enemy! Doing a lot of work. A lot of good work. I don't see it happening because of that very reason.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Inventor
#48 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 8:35 AM
I think they will add a create-a-world tool and an edit town tool but they will make it a big deal by making a gp focused on new lots to add and new decorative items to put in your town, like Town Life stuff was.

Check out my Simblr
Field Researcher
#49 Old 6th Feb 2017 at 8:18 PM
I think they may add a caw tool for Sims 4, it will just be different than the Sims 3 obviously, and hopefully be final instead of just a beta XD
Mad Poster
#50 Old 6th Feb 2017 at 9:47 PM
What an old thread! IMO it will never happen. It would have by now and I can see way too many issues. And I am/was a "hardcore" builder of worlds in 2 and 3. I love working in CAW. I would love to have one, but expect there never will be one.
Page 2 of 4