Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 2:02 AM
Default Sims 2 Super Collection Custom Content Help
just downloaded the Sims 2 Super Collection from the Mac App store. I wanted to know if it is possible to download mods/custom content created by other players into the game? I know originally that in your computers documents you could save the mods under the Sims 2 folder, but there isn't one. Thank you.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 5:52 AM
I was wondering this as well. I really hope it's possible!
Test Subject
#3 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 6:43 AM
Default What I've Figured Out So Far
I bought it yesterday and had the same question. The game is sold, unfortunately, through the Mac App Store which means it has to be sand-boxed and signed, factors that may make it inhibit modding outside of Aspyr's official package installer, or at least Aspyr's support of it.

However, I've figured out this much...

Inside the game, I found a "Enable Custom Content" setting in the options. (See attached image.) To enable, navigate from any screen that allows you to access the Options menu:
Options --> Game Options --> Asterisk (in upper light blue box) --> Enable Custom Content --> Restart the game.

Outside the game, there is The Sims 2 Extras, consisting of Body Shop and Package Installer, downloadable once you sign up for a Aspyr's GameAgent.

Read what it says on The Sims 2 Extras page (https://www.gameagent.com/games/the...ckage-installer):

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: 3rd party content (Mods, textures or objects) could corrupt your save game or cause other issues with The Sims 2: Super Collection. Use at your own risk.

So, although I have not yet tried it, my guess is that we probably can install custom content, although Aspyr is not providing us with a drop-into-folder method. Instead, if we really must install 3rd party content, we are being asked to use the "Package Installer"

As an aside, I've tried the control-alt(option)-c to enter a debug mode in an attempt to turn off aging. I have not been able to make that work.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 12:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PittiSing
Read what it says on The Sims 2 Extras page (https://www.gameagent.com/games/the...ckage-installer):

So, although I have not yet tried it, my guess is that we probably can install custom content, although Aspyr is not providing us with a drop-into-folder method. Instead, if we really must install 3rd party content, we are being asked to use the "Package Installer"

As an aside, I've tried the control-alt(option)-c to enter a debug mode in an attempt to turn off aging. I have not been able to make that work.

There's a FAQ for The Sims 2 Extras:

http://support.aspyr.com/entries/51...c-version-only-

which gives locations to find saved sims, packaged lots, custom body shop content. It's under Library, which Apple like to hide on recent OS X versions, but it does look like it might be the place to drop all those packages into a downloads folder.

The location seems to be:

~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/

If someone can check it and find out whether it works, I'd be interested to know the results. I already have a Bootcamp partition with all the Windows EPs and SPs, but I find I don't take the trouble to reboot and play it as often as I'd like. I'm seriously contemplating sacrificing Free Time and Apartment Life for the trade off of extra convenience and retina support, so if I can get my hacks and custom content in there I shall probably buy it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae

which gives locations to find saved sims, packaged lots, custom body shop content. It's under Library, which Apple like to hide on recent OS X versions, but it does look like it might be the place to drop all those packages into a downloads folder.

~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/

If someone can check it and find out whether it works, I'd be interested to know the results. I already have a Bootcamp partition with all the Windows EPs and SPs, but I find I don't take the trouble to reboot and play it as often as I'd like. I'm seriously contemplating sacrificing Free Time and Apartment Life for the trade off of extra convenience and retina support, so if I can get my hacks and custom content in there I shall probably buy it.

Hi,

Yesterday I tried putting unzipped mod files into that folder thinking they might appear in the body shop, but they didn't. I'm thinking there is a way, but I am not sure how. I did send a request to Aspyr to see what they would say. I hope it is possible.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae

Having checked with custom skins and eyes adding a Downloads folder to that location works.

I'm now debating how hard to poke through the system files to sort out empty hoods given that they aren't the easiest things to download.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 5:28 PM
When I went to this folder ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/ today there is a downloads folder.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 5:34 PM Last edited by muridae : 9th Aug 2014 at 6:28 PM.
I got itchy and bought it. As a result of that I can confirm that it is possible to just drop custom content into a folder (see screenshot).

What you need to do, as well as enabling custom content in game as you've already done, is to go to ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2 and create a new folder called "Downloads" inside it. The game will then find and load it.

I used Gwenke's neighbourhood deco boats as my test examples, putting some of them directly into Downloads, and some into a subfolder below it. Both lots showed up, so subfolders seem to be working just fine. Yay for organisation.

The other thing I'd suggest is to drag either the The Sims 2 folder to the "favourites" area of the Finder sidebar. You can then click directly on that to get back there any time you want to add or delete content, which is a lot quicker than trying to find the extremely length Mac App Store filepath Aspyr have had to use.

Quote: Originally posted by Mechanon
I'm now debating how hard to poke through the system files to sort out empty hoods given that they aren't the easiest things to download.

The first thing I did was back up all the hoods before launching the game. The second thing was to back them up again, since Riverblossom Hills doesn't get added until you get to the Choose a Neighbourhood menu. The third thing was to back up the Sims 2 Super Collection game package. :-)

Inside that package, the hood templates seem to be under Contents --> Home --> Expansion Packs --> {EP name} --> TSData --> NeighborhoodTemplate, much as you'd expect. I wouldn't want to start messing around without a backup though - it's a 7.5 GB download, and I've not got a fast internet connection.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 12:14 AM
For some reason adding a folder doesn't work for me.
Instructor
#10 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 1:08 AM Last edited by rhiamom : 11th Aug 2014 at 1:05 AM.
For those who cannot find the Library folder: type the following into Terminal.
chflags nohidden ~/Library

And I thank you, I am off to check and see if the new location you specify works for me.

EDIT: Yes, it works. Can anybody verify if using subfolders will work?
Test Subject
#11 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 2:33 PM
I have place a number of packages in the above place and all are working just fine. I just need a censor remove now.
Test Subject
#12 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 11:13 PM
Can anyone help me. I installed some cc into my game and it won't show up. I enabled cc in the game and put it in the Downloads folder I don't know what i'm doing wrong. The cc i'm trying to install is an outfit and i have the mesh for it, so I have no clue what i'm doing wrong. Please someone help?

I read over the post about five times but i still can't figure out how to make the cc show up in my games. The answer might be hiding in plain sight but for the life of me i just can't seem to figure it out. Can someone please help me?
Instructor
#13 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dvds12
Can anyone help me. I installed some cc into my game and it won't show up. I enabled cc in the game and put it in the Downloads folder I don't know what i'm doing wrong. The cc i'm trying to install is an outfit and i have the mesh for it, so I have no clue what i'm doing wrong. Please someone help?

I read over the post about five times but i still can't figure out how to make the cc show up in my games. The answer might be hiding in plain sight but for the life of me i just can't seem to figure it out. Can someone please help me?

What Downloads folder, located where?
Test Subject
#14 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 1:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rhiamom
What Downloads folder, located where?

I had to make the Sims 2 Downloads folder since it does not come with it from the start.
Instructor
#15 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 1:53 AM
I had to make the Sims 2 Downloads folder since it does not come with it from the start.

Yes. Where did you make it? and are you playing with the Mac Super Collection?
Test Subject
#16 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 1:57 AM
Yes I am and go to finder, go up to the top of the screen and click go then find go to folder and click it and paste in this. this should take you to the sims 2 folder. ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/
Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 4:53 AM
Okay guys.
I got some sims2pack filed sims to show up in my game!
However it seems as if package files are not showing up.
Perhaps if we change the extension of the package files to sims2pack files maybe they can show up I will test it out..
Nope not working.
- Also I did find the downloads folder it's just not showing up...
Instructor
#18 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 4:56 AM
Yes I am and go to finder, go up to the top of the screen and click go then find go to folder and click it and paste in this. this should take you to the sims 2 folder. ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/

You are not capitalizing the first Library, but I am unsure if that matters. Did you do the thing I suggested to make your Library folder visible in Finder? In Terminal, type: chflags nohidden ~/Library

Then you can navigate there in Finder and see if the CC files are there. Also, these are .package files, right? Not a .rar or .zip or a Sims2Pack?
Instructor
#19 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nymphatica
Okay guys.
I got some sims2pack filed sims to show up in my game!
However it seems as if package files are not showing up.
Perhaps if we change the extension of the package files to sims2pack files maybe they can show up I will test it out..

No, that will not work. The location of the Downloads folder is very different in this version of Sims 2. Please read the other posts in this thread to get the correct path to the Downloads folder. Silly me tried to use the old location at first. Package files are showing up fine for me in the new location, both Sim makeup and Maxis item recolors. Are you trying to use recolors of Maxis objects, not anything that goes on a Sim, but like a chair or table? If so, you need to install the CEP first.
Test Subject
#20 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 5:06 AM Last edited by nymphatica : 11th Aug 2014 at 5:35 AM.
No, that will not work. The location of the Downloads folder is very different in this version of Sims 2. Please read the other posts in this thread to get the correct path to the Downloads folder. Silly me tried to use the old location at first. Package files are showing up fine for me in the new location, both Sim makeup and Maxis item recolors. Are you trying to use recolors of Maxis objects, not anything that goes on a Sim, but like a chair or table? If so, you need to install the CEP first.

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH.

I went to Library and added my package files into downloads and voila!!!
Uh for those who can't find library on mavericks, Finder-GO-HOME!
:lovestruc

Instructor
#21 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 5:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nymphatica
You mean to say through the library?
Also I had my downloads folder already in my documents after I installed the game.
I'm looking through the library and I can see all my package files.
It's still not showing up for me..
I download cc hair and clothes first.. Obviously to see what would show up.
But Im going to install CEP now!

Nymphatica, have you enabled CC in the game settings? It is disabled by default. The MTS CC troubleshooting guide gives good clear instructions on how to do that, as it is not perfectly straightforward. And I apologize if you are not a new Simmer and I am inadvertently insulting you.
Test Subject
#22 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 5:38 AM
Nymphatica, have you enabled CC in the game settings? It is disabled by default. The MTS CC troubleshooting guide gives good clear instructions on how to do that, as it is not perfectly straightforward. And I apologize if you are not a new Simmer and I am inadvertently insulting you.

No no no.
You figured it out!
I was completely lost, it's been forever and I never played on the mac before.
Now i'm really excited about getting into sims 2 again because i was in looooove.
Its running so smoothly unlike sims 3... Def going to be playing this until sims 4 comes out.
Test Subject
#23 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 2:32 PM
Hi! I have just downloaded the Sims 2 Super Collection; I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to downloading CC. Back in the day I used to download from the actual sims 2 website and it was really easy. But now that website is gone, and I've been trying to read over this forum over and over yet I still cannot seem to download CC to my new game. Is the Sims really worth playing without CC?! Sorry for the rant, but i just really want to make this work!
I tried to follow some of the instructions that were posted on here; I went into the library, found the Sims 2 folder, and created a Downloads folder within it. I tried to move some CC files in there, and then opened my game but I couldn't see anything, despite having enabled custom content. Am I missing any steps? Are there any particular file types I should be trying to use? I also downloaded the Package Installer-am I supposed to be using that? I'm hopeless, I know. Someone please help!
Instructor
#24 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 4:42 PM
Default Welcome to Simming, Lyssie!
Quote: Originally posted by Lyssie777
I tried to follow some of the instructions that were posted on here; I went into the library, found the Sims 2 folder, and created a Downloads folder within it. I tried to move some CC files in there, and then opened my game but I couldn't see anything, despite having enabled custom content. Am I missing any steps? Are there any particular file types I should be trying to use? I also downloaded the Package Installer-am I supposed to be using that? I'm hopeless, I know. Someone please help!

Only .package files get put into the Downloads folder. Anything like .zip or .rar needs to be extracted or unzipped first. (Stuffit Expander works well) A Sims2Pack is the file type you need the package installer for. It is how Sims and lots are packaged. Any custom content in the Sim or lot goes into the Downloads folder, while the Sim or lot go into the appropriate bin.

You might try downloading a lot or Sim with custom content to verify you have the right location. Any CC will go into the right place. Make double triple sure you enabled CC and didn't just enable the CC display on startup; click the snowflake to actually enable CC.

Also, make sure the content you downloaded doesn't need the CEP to show up in game.
Instructor
#25 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 4:47 PM Last edited by rhiamom : 24th Aug 2014 at 9:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PittiSing

You need the SimBlender. It has all that type of thing. Simbology.com

And IIRC, it is shift-ctrl-C to get that bar for typing in cheats. I have not tried it yet. EDIT: Yes, SHIFT-CTRL-C. On a Mac, anyway.
Page 1 of 11