Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Updated: Liberated Fences 4

by plasticbox Posted 24th Jan 2015 at 10:22 PM - Updated 10th Dec 2015 at 9:37 PM by plasticbox

16 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 1 Feedback Posts, 14 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 11:46 PM
awesome..thank you!
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#3 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 8:04 AM
wow, that's awesome, thanku
Instructor
THANKS POST
#4 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 3:56 PM
Great Job :)
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 6:49 PM
Just loving all of these, makes me excited about my gardens and homes! thank you <3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 4:32 AM
Thank you I play the sims more for the building aspect and this gives me more creative power.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jan 2015 at 1:16 PM
Found this in an unrelated thread over in Discussion, just in case it’s interesting for some downloaders – about “liberated” world objects in general, not this download in particular:

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Edit: One quick comment for poor Graham, who is getting harassed a bit here: Have you seen plasticbox's "liberated" objects in the MTS downloads section (http://modthesims.info/member.php?u=178282)? When I first jumped into the game I was very mildly impressed by the build mode changes, but quickly became frustrated as all the nice plants and stuff I saw round the neighbourhoods inexplicitly weren't available on lots. You have a heap of beautiful assets there, mostly finished (plasticbox made it clear some were not, and her/his "liberated fences" obviously don't have correct footprints for use on lots). Is there any reason why you guys did not give so much of the decorative content you made to the players? It was a minor annoyance in TS3, but in TS4 it looks to be a major issue.

I hadn't seen that mod, but I'm glad to hear such a thing exists. As for why some objects are unavailable in the catalog... I don't know about it in The Sims 4 as I haven't personally worked much with it in this game. I'd hazard a guess that it has to do with limits enforced on the artists for on lot vs off lot assets... objects have different rules such as the number of polygons that are allowed per 1x1 tile space that varies between on lot and off lot. I want to say the artists are required to make off lot objects have less detail to adhere to strict performance requirements for each neighborhood in the game. Because those objects have less detail, they're not supposed to use them on lot - where a player is presumably spending the majority of their time. Although I'll reiterate - that's an educated guess on my part on the philosophy behind it and shouldn't be taken as fact.

In practice, each person who works on areas of the game brings their own ideas and approach to things. I was the object producer back on World Adventures and Ambitions, and I tried to ensure that every piece of content was available to players in the catalog, or at the very least within buydebug where they could still get to it. At the risk of sticking my foot in my mouth with an art director, I remember a discussion way back on World Adventures when some of the artists didn't want any non-complatable objects (aka, ones you couldn't use Create a Style on) that they made to be available in the catalog. I understood their concern; because internally we shouldn't be placing those types of objects on the lots that we're building. That said, as a player I want access to every piece of content in the game, and I want to play with it in any manner I want, and I don't think we should try and enforce our own internal rules on players. Sometimes when a bug gets closed in our database, it gets labeled as a "DDT" - aka, don't do that. What that boils down to is, if you don't want a weird object on your lot... well, don't place it there. But if you do, I think we should allow it. That's the beauty of buydebug as well; rules get much more relaxed about what shows up in there.

Source

The thing with the footprints is, I think, because routing in the neighbourhood works differently than on lots – I imagine it’s probably similar to TS3 where off-lot routing was governed by a combination of object footprints and routable / non-routable areas on the terrain (applied similarly to terrain paint), which is something that can’t be done on a lot. So, objects intended for off-lot use only (like these) do not need actual working feetprint – some of them, like rocks, even have dedicated “no-footprint” variants –, and neither do they need catalogue flags and descriptions and so on.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 3:23 PM
I can't find these in my game, what to do?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 3:28 AM
love them!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 8:22 AM
Lovely, thank you.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 2:46 AM
Awesome. Thank you so very much!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 2:42 PM
Thank you. I understand I will need to test and play around with the functionality, but I love having more creative options.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 4:04 PM
Awesome. Thanks.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 18th Dec 2015 at 3:06 AM Last edited by Donielle_4 : 18th Dec 2015 at 3:29 AM.
Thank you, I wanted to use those fences. Interesting to see how they work.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 5:23 PM
Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 2:47 PM
Question, can you Liberate a certain fence for me? Its the one in TS4 in Willow Creek. If you go to the Garden Essence house there is a small park behhind the house with veggies growing. The fence that is there, its wood posts and only 2 wood posts horrizontal. I want to match that fence for the house I'm building on the Garden essence lot. Can you make that fence Liberated? Thanks! For now I'll use the red brick fence you have already liberated instead as its the other fence on that lot, so its close enough to the feel i'm going for... Also, is it possible to liberate the pathing stones there? I'm guessing not, because its not an item, but I don't really know. Thanks!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#17 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 9:24 PM
thanks