Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
We know that the devs would probably like to do better, but they can't because they're not getting the resources to do it.

Very true and I am sure the worker bees would like what we want in many cases. But if they want to keep their jobs they are told what to produce and they do it. EA is probably like a heck of a lot of companies where decisions about Sims, for example, are made by execs who have never even played the game, and probably will not listen to the employees who know the game and community. I have worked for large corporations and know that. The folks that make the decisions are totally out of touch with the actual operations. Totally. Way too often.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 1:04 AM
I'd rather have them add the option to direct control (like in TS2 console) instead.
Test Subject
#53 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 9:26 AM
I'm surprised VR isn't dead yet.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SharksAreCool
I'm surprised VR isn't dead yet.

I've had very many debates about that with people I tend to have debates with, and the argument was that VR would eventually fade into obscurity just like 3DTV did 5+ years ago. Or HD DVD some years before that. Or Betamax.
And I've always argued that VR will eventually catch on, because people have been talking about it for so long. As long as there's been computer gaming, there's been talks of VR. Right now, it seems it's stalled. It's not going away, but it's not catching on either.
The main problem is the technology. I have the highest-resolution VR headset currently on the market, the Gear VR, but because it gives me a headache after 10-15 minutes tops, and because it's use is limited, I might as well have used it twice and then never again. The Vive and the Rift are hard to set up and even harder to enjoy for long periods of time, and the cables get in the way too much. So clearly the tech isn't there yet.
Once the tech is good enough, once we get to 4k resolution per eye, and once we have gyros accurate enough to prevent motion sickness, it may very well catch on. Samsung's been pushing the Gear VR on customers, giving it away with phones and everything. But I think the bulk of them never use it. Once the tech is there, they'll probably be a lot more interested in it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#55 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 2:17 PM
Samsung's been pushing the Gear VR on customers, giving it away with phones and everything.

BRB, getting a Samsung phone...
Scholar
#56 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 2:23 PM
Hahaha, umm gee buddy. Sims virtual reality? Like, it's called going outside pal haha. Try it maybe.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Theorist
#57 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 3:03 PM
I never said it was for The Sims.

Also fuck outside, that's a terrible game!. The lighting is too bright, there are too many players, you can't turn off the ambient sounds, and the entire game is pay to win.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
BRB, getting a Samsung phone...

They usually do it through providers and stores that sell their phones with contracts, IIRC. I bought mine separately. It's actually the best value for money VR headset on the market, by far.
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Also fuck outside, that's a terrible game! The lighting is too bright, there are too many players, you can't turn off the ambient sounds, and the entire game is pay to win.

And the rules fucking suck. You can't even do anything fun without being banned from the whole server.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 6:15 PM
*walks in on woohoo* oops
Theorist
#60 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 7:10 PM
They usually do it through providers and stores that sell their phones with contracts, IIRC. I bought mine separately. It's actually the best value for money VR headset on the market, by far.

Well the good news for me is I have no contract for a smart phone currently, so it's something I can look into.
Mad Poster
#61 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heartkinz17
*walks in on woohoo* oops

Woohoo ya say? How about whilst woohooing?

That's what happens under the bedsheet! Where's the bleach now to clean the eyes?
Top Secret Researcher
#62 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 7:53 PM
I don't buy the "eventually catch on" argument, because they've been trying to sell us on 3D since the 1950s. No thank you.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 8:05 PM
3D is different. 3D is more like the failed brother of HDTV. And remember, they've been trying to sell us HDTV since the 80s. HDTV wasn't going to catch on either. Too expensive. The broadcasters wouldn't have it. And we'd all need to buy TV sets worth their weight in gold.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#64 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
I don't buy the "eventually catch on" argument, because they've been trying to sell us on 3D since the 1950s. No thank you.

Personally I'm still trying to figure out how the cinema complex managed to survive this long, it should have gone extinct when movies started coming out on VHS, or at least DVD. Do people really enjoy watching movies with 50 other noisy strangers in a room with crappy seats that smell like piss?

As for 3D cinemas, there are easier ways to throw up.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 8:07 PM
Personally I'm still trying to figure out how the cinema complex managed to survive this long, it should have gone extinct when movies started coming out on VHS, or at least DVD. Do people really enjoy watching movies with 50 other noisy strangers in a room with crappy seats that smell like piss?

That was the idea, yeah. VHS came, cinemas went. The Japs were going to kill Hollywood, as if the damn commies weren't enough trouble already. But here we are. If I'm not mistaken we also still have newspapers and books, despite the e-reader.

insert signature here
Theorist
#66 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Woohoo ya say? How about whilst woohooing?

That's what happens under the bedsheet! Where's the bleach now to clean the eyes?

You think this is bad? zoom in on your sims 4 sims doing hot tub woohoo. That shit is nightmare fuel and as soon as I remember what I named the file I will post it...
Instructor
#67 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 6:08 AM
That was the idea, yeah. VHS came, cinemas went. The Japs were going to kill Hollywood, as if the damn commies weren't enough trouble already. But here we are. If I'm not mistaken we also still have newspapers and books, despite the e-reader.

That was not exactly true, even if VHS did started the home cinema it had a lot of issues, the tape was simply unsuitable for wear and tear ... DVD was what really started the downfall of the cinema complexes as being cheap and a long term storage device.

And deadtree printing is dying, as much I would love to point at how partisan they became to the point its just tabloid propaganda as the cause, that is just a effect.

But yes we have a bunch of failures, remember Laser Disk that was kinda a precursor of DVD but too big and too expensive? hell we have Bluray that had the "unfortunate" issue of appearing when digital storage became commonplace, the list is long ... in VR case we had many attempts but none solves the inherit problem with the system, that it looks stupid and its unconformable and for many people, not something they can even use without discomfort, HD TV will happen simply due to technological progress ... people that rush in and buy the latest fad are honestly idiots, we did move from CRT to LCD but we also had Plasma, if "VR" happens is when technology matures enough and we cannot predict what format it will take, its not any of the current ones since they failed to catch up despite the effort behind it, granted Sims 5 might be VR if EA shelves the series for so long after 4 it becomes standard when whoever holds the rights to The Sims decides to release a new title of the series ... in 2108, of course Star Citizen was delayed for another year buts its OK guys, surely it will be released in 2109.

(Sorry, had to do it)
Mad Poster
#68 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
That was not exactly true, even if VHS did started the home cinema it had a lot of issues, the tape was simply unsuitable for wear and tear ... DVD was what really started the downfall of the cinema complexes as being cheap and a long term storage device.

Yeah, true. VHS tapes had a limited lifespan (though they can last decades when stored properly) and the quality was piss poor. Still, that's a huge step up from having no home media at all.

insert signature here
Theorist
#69 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 2:53 PM
They certainly don't last decades when you watch them every day like I did with ones like 101 Dalmatians, the Jungle Book, and Robin Hood. Though honestly, what's the point in having them last decades if all you do is store them anyway! xD
Test Subject
#70 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 8:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
So I got curious and started looking to see if there were any speculations about the Sims 5 yet. According to a few websites, it's rumored to utilize Virual Reality.

I'm kind of taking what the articles say with a grain of salt, since many of them (including the one in the link) include fallacies such as the game having a 2017 release date and The Sims 1 being released in 2002

Regardless, I'm hoping that the VR speculation isn't anything more than a rumor. I personally don't like the idea of it, and lord knows how expensive the game would be if it turned out to be in VR. If they do decide to go that route, I'd at least want them to still have a third-person option instead of making the game solely VR.

What do you guys think?

Personally thinking about it I'd love the idea of VR for the Sims in general but considering the limitations and also the capabilities of things to do in TS games I do not think this feat is yet possible least not with EVERYTHING that you're allowed to do in-game it'd be a very weird and unbalanced experience.

Plus on to the topic of TS5 I really do hope they aren't planning anything like that yet without first finishing whatever they got going on with TS4 and also fixing all the possible bugs and problems players are experiencing in-game currently via the base game and it's DLC.
Mad Poster
#71 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SasukeSama
Plus on to the topic of TS5 I really do hope they aren't planning anything like that yet without first finishing whatever they got going on with TS4 and also fixing all the possible bugs and problems players are experiencing in-game currently via the base game and it's DLC.

In the same way that they fixed all of TS3's problems before moving on?

insert signature here
Test Subject
#72 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 10:34 PM
In the same way that they fixed all of TS3's problems before moving on?

They've never fixed shit for any of the past TS games I know I am simply suggesting in hopes that it changes.

Overall it's always been the mod community that fixes THEIR problems.
Test Subject
#73 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 1:36 PM
I think VR is the future, its going to take off fast sooner or later, might be too early yet for Sims 5. Its the next step before plugging your head direct into a PC. And theres nothing to say you can't swap view between sims or a camera instead. Just think of the virtual WooHoo !
Test Subject
#74 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Halstrom
Just think of the virtual WooHoo !

Clearly you've never actually tried a VR headset. Even normal actions will make you puke your guts out, let alone the kind of action that goes on under the sheets when sims woohoo.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 3:16 PM
Clearly you've never actually tried a VR headset. Even normal actions will make you puke your guts out, let alone the kind of action that goes on under the sheets when sims woohoo.

That's only because the tech isn't there yet. Soon we'll have 4k screens on both eyes and even better gyroscopes, and you'll be able to play for three times as long before getting VR sickness. I have the best headset that's currently on the market, picture wise, and I believe I've never lasted for more than 20 minutes without wanting to die. And I'm pretty resilient when it comes to these things.

insert signature here
Page 3 of 4