Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 8:53 PM
I'm kinda glad it'll be on PS4. I mostly play on consoles (I have a terrible PC), so I'm really glad.
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
So yeah, you may not care at all about graphics, but graphics do matter in all visual media. Disregarding graphics is a terrible mistake.

As someone who greatly values stylistic game art, be it at very high resolutions or not, your post breaks my heart.

Also, why do you keep comparing very heavily stylized games with lightly stylized or even realistic games? It doesn't work that way. Of course trees in The Sims 4 are going to "look less like actual trees". Resolution has nothing to do with that, it's all about the style. Yes yes I know we're all talking about the graphics and not the art style, but texture resolution and polygons will only get you so far. Stylized game art is very different, and a lot harder to make than realistic art, especially with the standardization of PBR that makes realistic art styles much easier to make.

If you're going to fish for things to talk shit about in The Sims 4, like the trees, at least use a fair example. Don't compare stylistic trees with realistic trees. At least compare it to say, Overwatch.

These trees look exactly the same as the ones you'd find in The Sims 4, with the exception of the texture resolution and Overwatch having smaller leafcards.

It really bothers me that (in my opinion) you keep giving skewed comparisons, using games like Bioshock Infinite to compare with. There's different levels of stylization in games. A fair example would be Bioshock Infinite vs Dishonored. GTA vs Uncharted and The Last of Us. The Sims 4 vs Overwatch. It's kinda like comparing apples and bananas. They're both fruits, but two completely different kinds of fruit. If you're going to compare fruit in this case, compare two bananas, or an apple and pear, not two wildly different fruits that don't even grow in the same environment.

What it feels like to me with your comparisons is that you're heavily biased against The Sims 4 and do everything to compare it with titles that aren't even close to it so it looks even worse. Most foliage in The Sims 4 looks pretty bad I agree, but the trees look just fine, aside from their muddy texture resolution. No stylized game is going to look like Uncharted, because it doesn't have to. It's as simple as that.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Mad Poster
#53 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 10:17 PM
TS4 is not overwatch. Overwatch and The Sims have different memory requirements restrictions.

A little game logic - Most of the world in overwatch is static, meaning the computer doesn't have to constantly call different assets frequently. Most of it is called at once, or at least in different chucks. Moving parts are there, but are designed in such a way that afford them the ability to have them detailed since memory freed up elsewhere.

The Sims is different. While much of the game doesn't physically move, much of what's there is treated as something that can potentially move, so those elements are constantly called over and over again.

The Sims will always and forever require a lot of overhead memory. It always has, so assets are designed to use as little memory as possible. You also have to factor in running on older computers. That means smaller, less than detailed textures for all items so other aspects of the game can run well.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Inventor
#54 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vertisea
It really bothers me that (in my opinion) you keep giving skewed comparisons, using games like Bioshock Infinite to compare with. There's different levels of stylization in games. A fair example would be Bioshock Infinite vs Dishonored. GTA vs Uncharted and The Last of Us. The Sims 4 vs Overwatch. It's kinda like comparing apples and bananas. They're both fruits, but two completely different kinds of fruit. If you're going to compare fruit in this case, compare two bananas, or an apple and pear, not two wildly different fruits that don't even grow in the same environment.

What it feels like to me with your comparisons is that you're heavily biased against The Sims 4 and do everything to compare it with titles that aren't even close to it so it looks even worse. Most foliage in The Sims 4 looks pretty bad I agree, but the trees look just fine, aside from their muddy texture resolution. No stylized game is going to look like Uncharted, because it doesn't have to. It's as simple as that.

And it really bothers me that you are cherry picking the games I provided as examples of stylized graphics. I didn't just compare it to BioShock, I also pointed out HEAVILY stylized games such as Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Aventure (a game from 2012, and for a console released in 2006 mind you) and Disney Infinity (2013). All of them games that feature better graphics and textures than TS4 in spite of being heavily stylized and older. Hell, you're contradicting yourself by using Overwatch as an example. If you consider Overwatch a similar game to TS4 in terms of art style, then you have already lost your argument because Overwatch has waaaay better graphics and textures than TS4. I don't really get your point to be honest...
Are you trying to say that stylization should be used as a Get Out of Jail Free card to have subpar graphics? Are you trying to justify or defend in any way TS4 graphics because they're stylized? Like I said, if that's what you're trying to do then it's pretty sad that you lost that arguement by providing Overwatch as a suitable example. Overwatch wrecks TS4 in terms of graphics (and that includes textures, models and shaders). And if you're not trying to defend / justify TS4 mediocre graphical quality, then I don't know why you're even arguing. We both agree that graphics should serve aesthetics and aesthetics should make use of the best technology available to suit a particular style... my point was that aesthetics should NEVER be used as an excuse to provide subpar graphics within that particular art style. And TS4's graphics are not even subpar, that'd be generous. They're horrendous.

How can you even compare something as beautiful as this?

And tell me that it looks anything like this:

PS: I love your saying "exactly the same" and then right after "with the exception of the texture resolution and Overwatch having smaller leafcards." How does using higher texture resolution makes them "EXACTLY the same" as TS4's graphics? The word you're probably looking for, and dare I say avoiding like the plague, is BETTER. Repeat after me: Overwatch's graphics are better than TS4's [due to textures having a higher resolution, etc, etc.]. You see, it's not THAT hard...
Inventor
#55 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 1:02 AM
Subject: Video games with cartonish graphics that looks nicer than TS4:

Theorist
#56 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 1:09 AM
@_@ this was supposed to be about the console release of TS4...

... However I want to point out that despite the simplified graphics and lack of an open world, my Sims 4 game is already lagging as much as my Sims 3 game did, but it took half the content to get it there. I don't think their shortcuts and cheap graphics made the game any lighter at all. So why did they even bother?
Scholar
#57 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 1:54 AM
twisted, incompetent and completely deaf for reasonable advice from the actual teammates staff. And probably a few decision shifting the game scope, audience, device type (etc.) in random order during the project different stages. Such things are able to literally diminish any project and all the work put into it.
It's a speculation but it seems that way.
Graphics have nothing to do with the game overall low efficiency (and lower with time). Well, maybe on really "little chip of potato" GPUs. Program is unable to deal in efficient way with its own data. They made that 3rd time - each game iteration suffers from this in its own specific way.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#58 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 7:47 AM
Who woulda guessed that such heated arguments would come from a thread about this game's console port? I'm not even being sarcastic. I'm legitimately shocked

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#59 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 8:00 AM
While the GPU and the art style aren't directly related to one another, the output of that graphical style sure is. The Sims 4's painterly asthetics can be done on most any computer. Lower quality resources and materials aren't an issue in TS4 because most of it is solid colors with subtle details added on (shine, wood grain, stains, etc.). It's kept that way because a lot of content is pumped into the game via expansion packs and players dictate a lot of what goes into the game. Overwatch remains as is for long periods of time with minor active additions.

Overwatch has a similar art style, but is executed in such a way that takes advantage of a high end target system. You'll never get a tree like that in the Sims. Not for at least a good decade. The poly count and textures are at least double what you'll see in TS4. The branches alone are giving me a heart attack.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#61 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 4:12 PM
no wicked whim on consoles. yeah not interested :P

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#62 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 4:38 PM
While I can understand how the whole art style discussion is coming from, I would try to keep things more to the subject Else, there's always room to start a new thread!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#63 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 4:49 PM
Anyone wanna speculate on how the game is gonna be played on console?
Test Subject
#64 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 5:41 PM
I can't imagine any logical control scheme for consoles gamepads, tbh. I did not try TS3 on consoles, but some people told me that controls were just horrible.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 6:04 PM Last edited by ZeroG667 : 28th Jul 2017 at 6:30 PM.
Mods are the only thing that make The Sims 4 kind of enjoyable. They're watering down and porting a mobile/Last Gen quality game to Current Gen consoles... Without mods to make it at least a little enjoyable. You don't need all the money in the world to get a PC to run TS4, just get a crappy PC and install all the mods you want and you'll probably play it more than just a few hours. I used to enjoy TS4 with mods but now that they're being so lazy with adding content i went back to TS3, and i can't see myself playing the game without any mods.
Console gamers already have games like GTA V or Uncharted that give you all the content they have to offer without having to pay for stupid microtransactions or DLC's, and they are optimized for all platforms (I know GTA V is on PC too but you have to build a good enough computer while most of The Sims players are casual gamers) The Sims 4 has a lot less to offer and it's small amount of content is split in expansion/game/stuff packs that you have to pay for separately. I don't see most console gamers getting this over any other game...
Top Secret Researcher
#66 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 7:32 PM
The console gamers I know would never play Sims 4 on a console in a million years. (Some are simmers, and some aren't.)
Scholar
#67 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fonxisims2
I can't imagine any logical control scheme for consoles gamepads, tbh. I did not try TS3 on consoles, but some people told me that controls were just horrible.

I played TS3 on the console. Thankfully it belonged to a friend and wasn't something I was foolish enough to pay for. The controls were a serious PIA. I would never even try playing Sims 4 on a console. I'm not sure how'd you manipulate the push and pull of CAS very well with a controller.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#68 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 8:40 PM
Actually, what I hope to see back, which I feel like is not going to happen, is the whole third person walking, and the many exclusive objects that ts2 had compared to ts2 on PC, I think the reason why TS2 console games (And even bustin' out, the Urbz, even TS1 on console) was because they were so different from the PC version, as mentioned before in the thread. So you didn't feel like you were playing the same game on a different platform. I really hope TS4 on console somehow will be a little like ts2, and all those games before TS2 console was a thing
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Actually, what I hope to see back, which I feel like is not going to happen, is the whole third person walking, and the many exclusive objects that ts2 had compared to ts2 on PC, I think the reason why TS2 console games (And even bustin' out, the Urbz, even TS1 on console) was because they were so different from the PC version, as mentioned before in the thread. So you didn't feel like you were playing the same game on a different platform. I really hope TS4 on console somehow will be a little like ts2, and all those games before TS2 console was a thing

This. Really miss when they made the console versions of The Sims completely different from the PC ones, with Story modes with awesome characters, direct control, 2 Players coop!!! Used to play TS2 with my cousin a lot because of direct control and 2 players coop. They're not taking advantage of the differences between the PC and the consoles now that they are more powerful.
Instructor
#70 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 12:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZeroG667
This. Really miss when they made the console versions of The Sims completely different from the PC ones, with Story modes with awesome characters, direct control, 2 Players coop!!! Used to play TS2 with my cousin a lot because of direct control and 2 players coop. They're not taking advantage of the differences between the PC and the consoles now that they are more powerful.

I agree with you and Greenplumbob, I've always had the Sims for PC, and still picked up the console games because they were so different. I really enjoyed Bustin' Out, Urbz and Sims 2. They all had unique features, especially the latter two mentioned. If anyone played Sims 2 on consoles, remember how you could control the Sim directly, that there was recipes you could experiment with that gave you different effects depending on the ingredients used and also loved how you could layer clothing! :lovestruc
Theorist
#71 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 101ita
there was recipes you could experiment with that gave you different effects depending on the ingredients used and also loved how you could layer clothing! :lovestruc

Damn! What console and how much? *rushes to Amazon*
Inventor
#72 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 6:39 PM
I loved how you could directly control sins in PS 2, I didn't like how they took that out for ts3 ps3. The only way I can imagine the Sims 4 console being more restrictive is by adding the da*m fire code which since they did in all other console versions they probably will
Theorist
#73 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
Playing TS4 with a controller?

Actually I'm one of the few that play PC Ts3 on a Ps2 controller through the xpadder app. I could never play the game purely with keyboard and mouse. Turning the camera around with the mouse in such a 'heavy' and lag-prone game can give you sore wrists.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#74 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 10:23 PM
So if the sims is coming for ps4, then we should have 'The Last of Us' for pc.

Sul Sul! Hooba Noobie?
Instructor
#75 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Damn! What console and how much? *rushes to Amazon*

Sims 2 on the home consoles, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, iirc.
Page 3 of 5