Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 7:14 PM
Default Edit Carrer
Hey, guys.

How can I edit careers by using SimPE?
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 12:14 AM
There is a whole subforum devoted to it.

Tutorials for Custom Careers

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 12:25 AM
What exactly do you want to edit?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 10:03 AM
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought it best to piggy back on this one. Maybe the OP will return and we will both learn something.

The sticky post that explains how to create a custom career has the following note at the top: "**** PLEASE NOTE: This document will no longer work as of the the most recent release of SimPE (OFB compatible;0.56) due to the removal of the classic GUI, which this was based on using some tools that are not present in the new GUI. Unfortunately, without some major retooling which MIGHT be done one day, this doc is now only good as a reference. ****

I read farther into the thread and found was a comment about being able to make compatible careers if I used an old version of SimPE and if I followed the update information in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=147886
Unfortunately, I cannot find an old version of SimPE. Also, the pics in the updating GUIDs thread are photo-buck-et-ed. I also took a look at: "Custom Careers for Absolute Beginners (Now with Pics)" post, but those photos are dead links as well. I'm not sure how well I can follow along without pictures.

Does anyone know where I might find an updated tutorial that will work with the final version of SimPE (preferably with pictures)? An old version of SimPE? Or detailed directions on how to take someone else's custom career and tweak it to make my own? Again, words are great, but a picture is worth a thousand words -- especially if they have an arrow that says, "click here" "now click there" "insert numbers in this box" etc. :-)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 6:25 PM
Eh, I'll stick doing a new tutorial on my to-do list, it's not very complex.

To be honest, editing most things is pretty self-explanatory. If you want to edit the skill requirements, you find the BCON called "Skill Req - Cleaning" (or whatever), select the line for the career level you want to edit, and change the numbers (as always, the game counts skills in 100s. So one skill point is 100, 2 is 200 etc.). If you want to change the work hours, you find the BCON called "Tuning - Start Hour" or "Tuning - Hours Per Day", find the right line, and again, change the numbers however you like. Wages, friend requirements and work days are similar.

If you want to change the icons, you can find them in the "jpg/tga/png Image (IMG)" section and right-click to replace them with any PNG you like.

If you want to change the name of the career, edit the Catalog Description (CTSS). The job level descriptions and chance card text is in the two STR#s that are just called [Text Lists].

The chance card outcomes are also in the BCONs. If, for example, you wanted to make the level 2 chance card require 3 points of charisma in order for the sim to succeed when choosing option A, you'd find the BCON "Tuning - Chance - A - Skill - Charisma" and set line 0x2 to 300. If, on the other hand, you wanted to make it so that a bad outcome on option B of the level 7 chance card causes a sim to lose 5 body skill points, you'd find the BCON "Tuning - Chance - B - Bad - Skill - Body" and set row 0x7 to -500.

Uniforms are in the Outfit GUIDs BCON, not the Career Outfits text list. They use EAxis Logic(tm), so to change an outfit or a carpool, you need to take the GUID of the outfit or car you want to use, split it in half, then put the second half in the first BCON row and the first half in the second row. For example, if a career outfit BCON has the following rows:
0x6 0x9601
0x7 0x0087
That means that level 3 (because 6/2=3) uses an outfit with the GUID 0x00879601

Changing career reward objects is a bit more complex, because you have to make a special reward object as CC before you can link it to the career.

Forum Resident
#6 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 9:32 PM
Thanks. I've not ventured far into SimPE. The only thing I've done with it is change ages, skills and favorite hobby.
I think I'll create a "test" hood and start poking around SimPE. If I royally mess things up, I'll just delete the hood at start over.
Is there anything in SimPE that could mess up my entire system or install? In other words, a big red button that I should never, under any circumstances, press or breathe on?

BTW, when I first joined, I remember reading something about a new tutorials section. Will it be simply a transfer of the old tutorials or will there be up-to-date tutorials with new photos?

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 10:55 PM
The only thing you shouldn't do with SimPE is edit the files in Program Files.

You can break a neighbourhood if you do things wrong while editing your 'hoods in SimPE, but that won't impact your game install (and you can't break your entire system with SimPE!)

CRUMB is a new system for cataloguing tutorials. There's no such thing as an "official" MTS tutorial so we're not writing new ones specifically for it - though, of course, we've hired a lot of excellent creators and tutorial-writers as mods over the years - but it will make it a lot easier to find all the fantastic tutorials that are scattered around the internet.

Forum Resident
#8 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 12:58 AM
Thanks, Nysha!
Great news on all levels.

Shipwreck Island