Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#27 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
The devs actually don't understand what players want.

Remember when asked about constructing apartments from the ground up - basically what happened in TS2 - and one of the gurus asked what the difference between a normal lot and an apartment would be?

Are the staff members forbidden from using the Sims wiki, or something?

I think that was either feigned ignorance or they really think if is a 4 level building is all the same and is not "apartments". But yep for me is "fake" ignorance, like they won't even notice, is all the same. That pissed me off so much.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#28 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 12:19 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 12th Aug 2017 at 12:36 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Here's a thought. Any TS3 players want to try tearing down Bridgeport and remake it to look like San Myshuno? I actually already found a few on google that resembles it.
I mean, the only thing about Bridgeport (and most TS3 buildings) is that the creators seem to like the "classical" looks. I prefer more modern look. The problem is all the hi-rise shells in Bridgeport are premade and they're all classical and old. I would love to have more modernized shell. Making high-rises with CFE is an option, the problem is at far way, the buildings will be using a low-res shell replacement and doesn't look good.

Yeah, they went for a very specific style with their buildings. But the weird thing is that Bridgeport's buildings don't really bear resemblance to any real architectural style. They can't really be defined in a real-world style.
They're not really "classic" though; they're kind of a weird mix of Art Deco and 80s-90s postmodernism, but without really committing to either style. I suppose it's part of why Bridgeport fails to look like a real city.

I'm using a few ITF shells for a more modern look, and a few Roaring Heights shells for a more classic look, but they're both too out there. Bridgeport is bland. And bland is ugly, but mixing the outspoken with the bland is even uglier. So I've taken to building CFE skyscrapers now; particularly in the aforementioned postmodernism. I find the 80s trend of essentially building giant mirrors to be quite fitting in Bridgeport.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#29 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 12:36 AM
Bridgeport was made by the Redwood Shore team, who never really had a knack for building lots. Twinbrook is likely the most fully composed of any of the worlds, as many of the elements sensibly come together.

With some time and solid art direction, Bridgeport could have been phenomenal. A prime example is all of the lobbies - they look incredibly simple and don't actually commit to a style with which the building with have. It's most often than not a hallway.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#30 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 12:40 AM
The Bay Area is also a very west coast kind of place, and Bridgeport very much isn't. There are big differences between west coast cities and east coast cities, the way they're built up and laid out is vastly different. Either way, the devs never really cared about this sort of thing - as long as it vaguely looks like a city.

This is how you do Bridgeport; some of this.

Some of this.

Maybe some of this.

Oh, and have them mirrors.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#31 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 5:43 AM
I've never thought Bridgeport failed at being a city, it's just not supposed to be a sprawling metropolis. It's kind of dark, musty, eerie even. It has a story to tell if you explore it, which is something I appreciated a lot about worlds in Sims 3. A major part of the world design was that Vampires were a prominent inclusion and frankly I don't think Vampires really fit in a super modern utopia such as SM.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 6:45 AM
I never had any major problem with Bridgeport. It is clearly a modified version of San Francisco and the Golden Gate and Marin County. It has to be less city than real ones as Sims. I like the somewhat grungy feel as realistic. It is a good city for Vampires IMO also. And as stated it can be redone from the ground up. The real city is a mix of styles from 1906 forward. It is not all modern by any means. I know as I have lived in the Bay Area and worked in San Francisco. I think EA accomplished what was wanted.

San Myshuno is mostly show and no substance. At least we have some room and can redo Bridgeport to our liking, and use most of it. A big plus for me. And we can do even more if we tweak it in CAW.
Theorist
#33 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 1:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
The Bay Area is also a very west coast kind of place, and Bridgeport very much isn't. There are big differences between west coast cities and east coast cities, the way they're built up and laid out is vastly different. Either way, the devs never really cared about this sort of thing - as long as it vaguely looks like a city.

This is how you do Bridgeport; some of this.

Those buildings all look terrible to me. I would not let buildings like that anywhere near a world I was making, Or if I do, in VERY limited quantities. What are some of those? Hundreds of thousands of offices? There's more people working in one of those buildings at any given time than the entire population of my city.

This is what I recognise as a city; some of this.

You can see the architecture here is extremely diverse and it works. It's like the place was built in layers super-imposed onto each other, each one it's own little time-capsule. I wanna build a city like this one but GDI, no, they have to give us this un-editable, sterile, post-modern artistic crap. x.x
Mad Poster
#34 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 5:53 PM
There's plenty of postmodernism going on in your pictures, @ShigemiNotoge. It's just mixed in well with the rest.
And I see Bridgeport as a truly gritty, American city like New York and Chicago in the movies I loved when I was a kid. Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters, Coming to America, that sort of stuff. So I have a somewhat narrow-minded and dated idea of what a city like that should look like. And as with everything, for me "the big city" is a feeling, not a defined thing. I know what I mean when I see it.
Some images from my "Bridgeport inspo" folder:

So yes, indeed, Bridgeport sucks in that regard. It fails to look like a city and if I could get Create-A-World to work, I'd probably be working on a completely new version already.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#35 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 6:30 PM
By the way, for your consideration, the world's greatest map:

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#36 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 7:14 PM
I always though Bridgeport was the Sim equivalent of Seattle, with the flora, mountains and climate.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 8:19 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 12th Aug 2017 at 8:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I always though Bridgeport was the Sim equivalent of Seattle, with the flora, mountains and climate.

Graham has gone on record to say that the primary source of inspiration for Bridgeport was Pittsburgh. But climate-wise I guess it does bear some resemblance to Seattle.
Either way, I just can't help but shake the idea of it being a smaller version of NYC with some Chicago thrown in. But then again,
I only know America from the movies, and old movies at that. For good measure, the America-est American urban setting I can think of in that context.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#38 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 9:08 PM
I think they never really planned for Bridgeport to be like any real world city (their concept art shows it as a Genericville) much like San Myshuno, but it ended up looking like Seattle anyways via the bunch of coincidences above.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 9:33 PM
Anyway, if I'd personally redo Bridgeport it'd be a scaled up version of the main landmass, with the bridge also scaled up, maybe or two streets at the other side of it, but the rest would all be decorative. Decorative buildings, and then a distant terrain with thousands of little low-poly boxes painted like buildings. Doesn't your urban world sort of have that @jje1000 ?

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#41 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 10:58 PM
I've been slowly upgrading my Riverview. I replaced the downtown parks with buildings and the rabbitholes with custom buildings (but using the same floor plan). Now I think I'm going to attempt making the downtown into high-rises. Only problem is the lot sizes are too small, so I have to learn CFE high-rises.

Do post pictures!

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#43 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 12:00 AM
Haha, after I fix my computer. Where am I suppose to post them anyways? The picture section? or is it ok to post in general forum?

Simblr, Wordpress, Reddit, the picture section....those sorts of places.

insert signature here
Theorist
#44 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:05 AM
Haha, after I fix my computer. Where am I suppose to post them anyways? The picture section? or is it ok to post in general forum?

IDK if we're allowed to post images but the "What's happening in your game right now" thread has like 50 million pictures and no one's shut it down yet xD
Theorist
#46 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 9:28 AM
I think the mods don't appreciate everyone posting up a new thread about their screenshots etc..., but I guess it would be ok to post in that thread.

Well if it's relevant to the current conversation here, why not just post them here?
Theorist
#49 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 6:02 AM
o.o Is that the CN tower?

Also while I'm not a particular fan of the building style that's used, I'm absolutely blown away by the quality. God I miss what was possible in the sims 3.
Page 2 of 3