Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 10:59 AM
I do the dinner thing and invite all the extended family over to party, but how do you stop them from dropping dead right in the middle of the turkey? Happens every time and ruins the party. I love the idea of taking them on a goodbye trip around their favourite town places. :lovestruc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 9:57 PM
None of my Sims have ever died. I don't mean that I quit without saving. I mean I have never see the Grim Reaper in my game at all! (In my first few months, while I was learning to play, I think some guardian angel was looking after my Sims for me!) I'm in no hurry to meet him either; I'm afraid he might just forget about my Sims and take me instead.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 10:14 PM
I haven't done it too often. I've had the elder have a party and invite friends and family over and gives family expensive gifts (he/she doesn't need it any more). Often I think it's their last day but the bar goes down at 6 pm. I did have one elder who pleaded with the grim reaper 3 times and won, but he wasn't a generous or likeable Sim and never had parties or invited family over.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
I do the dinner thing and invite all the extended family over to party, but how do you stop them from dropping dead right in the middle of the turkey? Happens every time and ruins the party. I love the idea of taking them on a goodbye trip around their favourite town places. :lovestruc

=Yet, I've had parties where someone dropped dead (maybe not the party-thrower), and the party was a hit. Funny, fights and fooling around seem popular.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 1:29 AM Last edited by Kunder : 28th Nov 2017 at 6:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
I really LOVE your idea of how you handle your elders, near the end of their time spend with the living, because they seem to have "one foot in the grave and one foot out", before the Grim Reaper comes.
So nice you have them spend their last days with friends and love ones and wear the formal clothes, I am sure your Sims will cry their eyes out when your elders go to Sims heaven or Sims hell ( lol )

In my game I do not have too many elders just the ones that came with the game already, like old man Goth ( Pleasantview ) but even then I don't let him died, because in my game my Sims live in a world of the "fountain of youth".
The only graves I have is from family that was left with family graves or tombstone, I transfer all of them to a very nice and well kept cemetery that I created, where they rest in peace (If a Sims visit there in the cemetery their ghost will sometime come out.) Thanks goodness for NightLife that made it possible to send graves and tombstone to a community lot or grave site.
Yeah, I feel the Elders are the most overlooked aspect of the game. They really do have a lot to offer. I discovered how valuable they are, while playing "The Ottomas Empire". Dora was so indispensable, that I actually turned off her aging, until the youngest grandchild, Grizzlie, was only a few days from becoming a teen.
Dora, kind of became a hero of sorts, and has the cemetery named after her. Her passing, was with great sorrow, and fanfare in my game. I DO miss her. Maybe I'll post how her "funerl" was done.

Some of my most prominent, and important Sims, are Elders. One, is an "immortal" in my game.

Bob Woods ( An immortal sim, who "Inspects" all my houses in every hood for functionality, Grandfather of Delilah O'Feefe).
Dora Ottomas (Cares for Ottomas children, grandchildren, and sometimes, GREAT grandchildren).
Luis Aspir (Awesome family Patriarch! One of my favorites).
The Oldies (They take in Lilith Pleasant, and make sure she has a good start).
The Goodies (They usually take in the Newson kids, so they get a good start).
Zed Zed. IDK, I just like him. He's an old warlock, who seldom practices magic, and is kind of a bumbler. He looks like Gandalf, and is one of Bob Woods, and PT9 Smiths best friends. (Care for a round of "Please Don't Wake the Llama", anyone?)
PT9 Smith. IDK here either. One of my favorites. Probably because the Smiths are my favorite Maxis family. They get 50% of my attention in Strangetown.

Yes, Elders are some of my most important Sims. They make playing large families, much easier. Just need to learn how to utilize them.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
I've found that if you seat them at the dinner table, and start eating about 10, or 15 sim minutes before 18:00, and don't let them get up (keep them in conversation, while there still seated at the dinner table, and eating with another Sim), the Grim Reaper doesn't show up until they get up from their chair. Now, I'm not guaranteeing this, but that's how it seems to work. Been my experience anyway. Perhaps it doesn't work that way during a "party" situation, IDK.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 4:56 AM
Yeah I usually try to make the last day matter. Andy Horthy had 3 different woohoos in his last 24 hours. Talk about going out with a bang! He died happy.

Some of my Sims cheat death though. The magic lamp helps quite a bit here. A gamer skill also seems to help. Tatiana Oakem cheated death 8 times before she kicked --- of course that meant 8 successive nights of weeping and wailing by her family. I think they were exhausted by the end of the run. Anyhow, it makes planning for the last day somewhat imprecise.

(And on other lots and other times, I have seen family simply ignore Grimmy's visit. It's cold man. Death don't have no mercy in this land.)
Forum Resident
#33 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
=Yet, I've had parties where someone dropped dead (maybe not the party-thrower), and the party was a hit. Funny, fights and fooling around seem popular.

Fun, but not quite the poignant, dignified goodbye I was going for.
Quote: Originally posted by Kunder
I've found that if you seat them at the dinner table, and start eating about 10, or 15 sim minutes before 18:00, and don't let them get up (keep them in conversation, while there still seated at the dinner table, and eating with another Sim), the Grim Reaper doesn't show up until they get up from their chair. Now, I'm not guaranteeing this, but that's how it seems to work. Been my experience anyway. Perhaps it doesn't work that way during a "party" situation, IDK.

Thanks for tip. Part of my problem is they get so busy and popular, with everyone wanting to talk to them, to be friends, give them gifts... and whatever else it takes to raise social high enough for the free insurance payout. There's also my need to turn the aspiration bar to white. (They deserve the Hula Ladies) i think I'll do the family dinner thing before, then their last day can be spent walking around their favourite places, talking to people and doing nothing at all.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 8:31 PM
Insurance amount has to do with popularity?

Mad Poster
#35 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 8:55 PM
Not the amount, but when a Sim dies of old age, each of their best friends gets an insurance payout.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#36 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 9:30 PM
the sims that get money when Old Age happens are these::
-spouse
-children
-grand children
-best friends

the amounts depend on the deceased's aspiration level and deceased's lifetime towards respective sim. for relatives, the lifetime is a percentage of the "total" amount.
base game's Prima Guide lists the total amounts. chapter 8, "Inheritance" section of chapter.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 9:37 PM
Unless you have the 'insurance for family only'-I think that's the name, but it limits insurance payouts to only the immediate family-not best friends.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#38 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 9:55 PM
Ooh, I didn't realize it'd depend on the aspiration levels and stuff. I think I have a mod so that Sims get an insurance payment even if they don't die of old age - because it seems kind of silly the normal way.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#39 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 10:20 PM
my sims just die in the bathroom most of the time,they die where they were born...

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#40 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emerald1234
my sims just die in the bathroom most of the time,they die where they were born...

Yes, surrounded by a milling crowd, arguing over position

Mad Poster
#41 Old 7th Nov 2017 at 2:36 AM
Oh, yes-the life insurance hack does that, as well. A pixel can die from anything (and usually does) besides old age, and the insurance will pay out. Very useful when you have a few young'uns at home who need college funds.
Plus a young grieving wife will certainly need new threads to go along with her loss..to impress her next boyfriend..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#42 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 1:23 AM
I have two insurance mods in my game - Monique's Non-Elder Insurance and CT's Mod "I_died_only_family_inherits."
Inventor
#43 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Not the amount, but when a Sim dies of old age, each of their best friends gets an insurance payout.

I wonder how that will get handled evenly if the Sim has many best friends, such as a popularity Sim and their 20 best friends. It's kinda like if many people won the same lottery and only got a measly 17 bucks from it (Bruce Almighty reference). :D

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Alchemist
#44 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 8:10 PM
full amounts from Old Age death could be described through following equations::
spouse: x
children: x/2
grandchildren: x/8
best friends, lifetime 75-100: x/20
best friends, lifetime 50-74: x/40

high aspiration, x is $20000; medium aspiration, x is $10000; low aspiration, x is $5000.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Yes, surrounded by a milling crowd, arguing over position
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 6:49 PM

They came into this world in the bathroom and leave this world in the bathroom.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 3:09 PM

Ashes to ashes...uhh...never mind. :D
Scholar
#48 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 5:23 PM
And...that's actually pretty realistic. Bathroom deaths and births are both more common than most of us would like to admit in Real Life. I have to say, I think my Patrizio Monty's one was pretty epic, especially as it was during a family reunion... Oh wow, I just realized that two out of the four elders who've died in my megahood were bathroom deaths in underwear. Olive Spectre died on her patio, but that was a fitting result of being ganged up on by a group of her victims...and Consort Capp's rather temporary foray into un-undeath (in the Brokes' kitchen) was also, among other things, the revenge of someone he'd murdered...

Are the Prima Guide insurance calculations accurate? It would be useful if they are, but given that the Prima Guides don't have the best track record for accuracy...
Scholar
#49 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 11:39 PM
the closest things my sims get to a funeral is there grandkids birthday party aww i feel bad now!

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by quycksylver
Ashes to ashes...uhh...never mind. :D
.......And bytes to bytes.
Page 2 of 3