Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:13 PM
Default Unlocking doors with handiness?
My question is, would it be possible to make a door that needs a certain skill level (here: handiness level 10) to be unlocked? Similarly to the entrance of forgotten grotto.. It’d make a very nice prison break challenge. The question is - is it possible to do this?
Advertisement
Deceased
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 3:10 AM
The preset_lock_datas tuning for door locking component doesn't appear to support testing for skills or traits, only certain values of the SimInfo (e.g. age, gender, species) or club memberships.

I think it might be possible by creating a door object tuning that is locked by default based on a test guaranteed to fail (e.g. to only allow babies to pass through), then removing all the door_Padlock_* interactions so the lock cannot be changed using the normal pie menu choices. Then write a new interaction that is available based upon a handiness test that will change the value of the lock to allow the selected Sim to pass through. Basically a clone of door_Padlock_ImmediateInteractions_Unlock_Actor that has an additional test (ideally with a tooltip to show the player what is needed if the test fails) gated by the handiness skill level.

I'm not sure how the new locking stuff works internally to be honest, so not sure if that guaranteed failure test would even be necessary. Someone like @LittleMsSam would probably be able to come up with a better plan.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
The preset_lock_datas tuning for door locking component doesn't appear to support testing for skills or traits, only certain values of the SimInfo (e.g. age, gender, species) or club memberships.

I think it might be possible by creating a door object tuning that is locked by default based on a test guaranteed to fail (e.g. to only allow babies to pass through), then removing all the door_Padlock_* interactions so the lock cannot be changed using the normal pie menu choices. Then write a new interaction that is available based upon a handiness test that will change the value of the lock to allow the selected Sim to pass through. Basically a clone of door_Padlock_ImmediateInteractions_Unlock_Actor that has an additional test (ideally with a tooltip to show the player what is needed if the test fails) gated by the handiness skill level.

I'm not sure how the new locking stuff works internally to be honest, so not sure if that guaranteed failure test would even be necessary. Someone like @LittleMsSam would probably be able to come up with a better plan.

Haha, it sure sounds difficult. Thank you so much for replying!
Sadly I know nothing about modding, so I won't be able to do it, I was just wondering if it was possible. Maybe one day someone will make it, who knows? ^^
Again - thank you very mcuh!