Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 8:37 AM
Default Borked Elder Hair Mesh
I have two hairs where the elder stage looks like the attached. Seeing as the elder uses the same mesh as the adult I'm not sure how this has happened. The adult hairs are fine.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 6:57 PM
Re-link the adult mesh to the recolor?

And make sure the recolor actually has the resources for the elder stage. If it's binned, there's a chance the elder stage was incorrectly removed from the hair, leaving behind some resources.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 7:06 AM
I'm new to hair meshes so I don't know how to do either of those. XD Is linking a mesh to a recolour the same as doing a clothing one?

And if the elder stage is removed then how do I replace it?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 1:51 PM
Same principle as linking clothes, but a little bit more difficult.
If you have the files, or a link to the files, I may be able to help.

Adding the elder stage isn't too complicated to do, but a little worse to explain. The easiest way is to remove the borked elder stage, then add the elder age to the PropertySet (0x58 instead of 8 for the adult age), make a new recolor (the elder stage will be added as a separate set of recolor files), and recolor the elder stage to be gray (or whichever color you want it to be). The hard way is to repair the elder stage as-is. I'll need to have a look at the files to explain that, because I don't know what's borked just from the pictures (mesh, linking, textures, etc.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 2:22 PM
Thanks.

The files are here for the first hair. http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...?p=42990#p42990

And here for the second hair. http://www.xmsims.com/sims2/ehtm/hair/mhair19.htm
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 6:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Jul 2018 at 6:36 PM.
For the Medieval sims hair, the elder still tries to use the texture from the oriignal grey hair, and has the wrong names in the PropertySet compared to the mesh. Basically, it uses the right mesh but the wrong textures.

For the XM hair, is it the first or second?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 2:36 PM
Thanks.

Oops I didn't notice the second hair on that page. It's the Aion hair.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 5:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Jul 2018 at 6:11 PM.
For the Aion hair, the elder is there but technically not included or not properly removed. It uses the wrong texture and mesh, and only the adult hair really works.

I think both hairs are fixable, but it may require making a new recolor file for each (it's the easiest way - both of the recolors have elder files with different names than the adult ones).

EDIT: Fixed the hairs, only one recolor each (none of them binned, you'll have to do the recolor work yourself - just make the recolor files, extract the textures from the original, and replace them - It's much easier than fixing each of the existing recolors... ).
I also added YA to the Aion hair.

If you have lots of hairs in the custom bin, they're probably far back in the catalog (I pulled out all my downloads for faster Bodyshop loading), just so you know.

For future reference, the easiest way to fix these hairs is to delete the propertyset for the borked YM/EM ages, and add the ages to the adult PropertySet Age line (AM=8, EM=10, YM=40, so either 48 or 58), then make a recolor in Bodyshop. That way all the proper resources get added and fixed on their own without having to do much tinkering. Only works for YA and above, though. If you want grey hair for elders you can fix this in the new recolor. I also suggest using Cat's binner for binning the hairs.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Hairs.rar (502.6 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 11:54 AM
Thanks heaps!

I don't think I have Cat's binner. Can I do it in Wardrobe Wrangler?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 1:12 PM
Probably.
Cat's hair binner is here: http://ww2.modthesims.info/d/434016 (it's nice for properly removing ages, it can family and bin hairs, and you can do 4 in a go. You can also do grey hairs in a multitude of ways).

Tip: Make the recolors first, then bin them. Don't bin and then make recolors.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 1:13 PM
Thanks.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 3:38 PM
This hair is going to make me pull out my own hair lol.

I'm redoing the colours and I got a bizarre problem in Bodyshop.

Start exporting the hair, everything fine.

Finished exporting and the hair colour has changed. It only does this on the dark red and dark brown colours, but I can't fix those colours if I can export them. I tried pulling the png directly out of SimPE, but seeing as the texture in there already has the alpha added it wasn't lining up and was giving me white streaks in my hair.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 8:26 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jul 2018 at 9:02 PM.
Probably a bug with improperly familied hairs or some such.

Make a 1024x1024 fully white PNG.
In SimPE, open one of the old recolor files, right-click in the picture in the TXTR, and choose "change alpha", select the white texture.
When the texture regenerates, you can extract this to get the whole texture.
You can also extract the alpha by right-clicking the TXTR map.

Then use the fixed recolor above to make recolors.

If you can't figure it out, just give me a few hours (I'm a bit busy atm) and I'll extract the textures for you.

EDIT: Added the textures and alpha below (you can either use the alpha'd texture to replace in SimPE, or the full texture and alpha for recoloring in Bodyshop. There's a Volatile, so you can make the missing Pooklet colors if you need that).
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Textures.rar (9.89 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 9:40 AM
Thanks again! <3