Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 6:59 AM
Emotions never should've been a centerstage feature to begin with. Personality > Emotion when defining a character, especially since they handle it so lazily. I mean if you lose a competition, one person might get sad, another might get angry, another might feel fine and another might feel stressed about it. All of that has to do with personality rather than those emotions being deeply connected to the event, and yet Sims 4 only prepares a sadness moodlet for such an occassion.

Pretty much the only way to make such a system work would be to go through by hand and assign different moodlet reactions to different personality traits/personality trait combos. Regardless, even then it'd still feel lacking because they didn't account for a personal touch outside of the emotions. A naturally flirtatious person should probably be better and more successful at flirting than someone that just took a steamy shower, but the game makes no distinction.

No matter how you cut it, ALL the examples and problem areas I'm naming can be resolved with a focus on PERSONALITY rather than emotions. It was an idiotic decision from day one to try and transition over to emotions. It's simply a downgrade.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#52 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 11:01 AM
Transition to emotional states is natural. It's a well founded decision, since people HAVE been asking for such a system in this game... however, it's stupidly realised in TS4. Every emotion overriding every trait is an idiotic decision. Like you said, traits should define emotional behaviour of that sim, not the other way around.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 10:59 AM
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...939893013536768

I just... uh, what? So far I've never actually seen him lying, so I'm wondering if this is a new tactic or some heavy ignorance. And then with this weirdly passive-aggressive smiley.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 11:12 AM Last edited by HarVee : 13th Sep 2018 at 11:54 AM.
I believe their plan was to plan not to have a plan. That's some mind blowing shit right 'ere.

Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I'm sitting here poking around on Twitter looking for some kind of celebratory tweet, post...something, anything with a mention of the 4 year anniversary of TS4. It is a long weekend here in the US, but one would have thought they would have at least mentioned that TS4 had a upcoming birthday before they left on Friday, nope! Even the most outspoken Yibs seem to have nothing to say.

The silence speaks volumes.

You expect them to create a celebration for 4 years? It's not a significant event, yes? Typically major anniversary celebrations in media are of:

(year) 1>5>10>15>20>25>35>50>75>90>92>95>96>98>100>110>125>140>150>160>
180>200>230>250> etc.

It's all mathematics my friend, no? If they do not create big celebration of year 5 of The Sims 4 then one should worry a bit one thinks.

Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
I just... uh, what? So far I've never actually seen him lying, so I'm wondering if this is a new tactic or some heavy ignorance. And then with this weirdly passive-aggressive smiley.

He was secreting implying that some of the EPs for TS3 were not different EPs internally amongst the original TS3 Maxoid/SimGuru/developer staff (to which Grant is part of) and were intended to be included in other TS3 EPs. Pretty obvious me thinks. Kind of an indirect sly jab at EAxis and their mismanagement.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#55 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
He was secreting implying that some of the EPs for TS3 were not different EPs internally amongst the original TS3 Maxoid/SimGuru/developer staff (to which Grant is part of) and were intended to be included in other TS3 EPs. Pretty obvious me thinks. Kind of an indirect sly jab at EAxis and their mismanagement.
I think that's the same argument I saw under the tweet. I'm not even sure if I understand it - So some EPs weren't developed by the actual Gurus and that's what he tries to imply?
But even if that's the case - No one talked about who was responsible for the packs. It's just about how many packs the Simmers got and that was between 2 to 3 EP per year (only got 1 EP in Winter 2009 but TS3 was only released in June 2009). He also could've clarified it if he thought it was relevant to mention who created the packs. The way he said it just makes it a lie.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 1:22 PM
Grant lying? Pfft... Can't you see he backed up his obviously false fact as an argument meanwhile providing evidence with a tweet that consists of good solid 10 characters (excluding three punctuation symbol)?

(lame) Humour aside, lol there's really no point in lying anyway. All it does his exposes of much a liar (who isn't even that cunning ). Those who played or followed the news of TS3's era can validate that well two expansions per pack were their motto.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#57 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 1:48 PM
We definitely got two a year for TS3. Hell, even they put out two the first year when TS4 just launched. He’s either lying or an idiot (because this is all found in google).

TS3 used to pull NUMBERS per year.

2-3 Expansion Packs
2-3 Stuff Packs
12+ Store Sets (usually multiple sets a month).
2 (OPEN) World Sets
Infrequent free content

TS3 put out content like maxis was damn near a sweat shop. They even added a team to create more more content. TS4 not only produces far less in the same time frame, but the quality is worse. That makes no sense to me.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#58 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 2:00 PM
... And, speaking of quantity, I came across a comment under Grant's tweet that defended TS4 by stating "Is bigger than TS3" (paraphrasing of course). Begs the question in what kind of thing she finds it bigger (that's what she sai- I'll stop) in the game's she's comparing. In terms of content in general, while I don't play the game I'm kinda dubious about her opinion being valid that she takes it as a fact (unless until she clarifies, better If she's here and reading this reply I'm writing). Though what I can only valid and agree on for now, TS4 is only bigger in how much space it takes on the hardware. Yeah, the base games alone, TS4 takes up more hard drive space than TS3. Though that number doesn't really represent the actual content the game has shown in-game, excluding the data it has.

Forum Resident
#59 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
... And, speaking of quantity, I came across a comment under Grant's tweet that defended TS4 by stating "Is bigger than TS3" (paraphrasing of course). Begs the question in what kind of thing she finds it bigger (that's what she sai- I'll stop) in the game's she's comparing. In terms of content in general, while I don't play the game I'm kinda dubious about her opinion being valid that she takes it as a fact (unless until she clarifies, better If she's here and reading this reply I'm writing). Though what I can only valid and agree on for now, TS4 is only bigger in how much space it takes on the hardware. Yeah, the base games alone, TS4 takes up more hard drive space than TS3. Though that number doesn't really represent the actual content the game has shown in-game, excluding the data it has.
Saw this as well and was so confused. The quote "Sims 4 is way bigger and has way more to it than the Sims 3 had to it" made me think so hard because I can't even come up with one aspect where TS4 has "more" than TS3. Oh, wait - It has more SP than TS3
I don't even want to turn this into another "TS3 is better than TS4" argument, but I just want to figure out what she could've meant by this statement
Mad Poster
#60 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 2:16 PM
TS4 takes up more space but the game is no where near as big. TS4 has a lot of decorative things but like actual content and depth.

Every single similar pack - beat for beat - has less content than the previous iterations.

Nothing will beat World Adventures in terms of scale and content output. Even with an game pack for vacations, Outdoor Retreat and Jungle Adventure don’t begin even touch World Adventures, or even Island Paradise.

Ambitions beats Get To Work in depth and scale. Open For Business is also better than Dine Out and the Business parts of Get To Work combined.

Late Night has more content and is better than Get Together overall (but the club mechanic is nice).

Generations is better than Parenthood.

Pets 3 is better than Pets 4 by a country mile.

Seasons is on par with 3 (imo).

City Living is an anomaly. It’s a mishmash of ideas and content. There’s little to no player freedom and everything is chained to the town. It’s like a combination of showtime and apartment life, with a sprinkle of non voyage, without being as good as either overall.

Why are they like this?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 4:15 PM

Honestly, I've been pretty out of the loop on how SimGuru's talk to people and act on social media (mostly because it's all through Twitter, and I don't use it) but I did recently go through Grant's profile and just.. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but christ, this guy is patronising and arrogant AF. I wouldn't have thought he was the best person to be so "out there" on social media for TS4 at least. This guy is a huge turn-off when it comes to wanting to hear from the people working on the game.
Forum Resident
#62 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by luxford
Honestly, I've been pretty out of the loop on how SimGuru's talk to people and act on social media (mostly because it's all through Twitter, and I don't use it) but I did recently go through Grant's profile and just.. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but christ, this guy is patronising and arrogant AF. I wouldn't have thought he was the best person to be so "out there" on social media for TS4 at least. This guy is a huge turn-off when it comes to wanting to hear from the people working on the game.
Not an unpopular opinion and definitely not here on MTS. I've only been paying attention to SimGurus since TS4, but I only know him like this. He's also been the one who said dog houses are only used by bad dog owners (while he dresses his Corgi in costumes), so that says a lot...
Mad Poster
#63 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 4:56 PM
I guess misleading people is part of their "improving communication" motto, aye? Though can't pinpoint, but their plan does help a satisfying result for me: not bother opening Grant's linked tweet again

Scholar
Original Poster
#64 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
TS4 takes up more space but the game is no where near as big. TS4 has a lot of decorative things but like actual content and depth.

Every single similar pack - beat for beat - has less content than the previous iterations.

Nothing will beat World Adventures in terms of scale and content output. Even with an game pack for vacations, Outdoor Retreat and Jungle Adventure don’t begin even touch World Adventures, or even Island Paradise.

Ambitions beats Get To Work in depth and scale. Open For Business is also better than Dine Out and the Business parts of Get To Work combined.

Late Night has more content and is better than Get Together overall (but the club mechanic is nice).

Generations is better than Parenthood.

Pets 3 is better than Pets 4 by a country mile.

Seasons is on par with 3 (imo).

City Living is an anomaly. It’s a mishmash of ideas and content. There’s little to no player freedom and everything is chained to the town. It’s like a combination of showtime and apartment life, with a sprinkle of non voyage, without being as good as either overall.

Why are they like this?

Simple it's because of greed and laziness.
Instructor
#65 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Simple it's because of greed and laziness.

With a dash of incompetence thrown in for good measure.
Scholar
Original Poster
#66 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Motorcitydude
With a dash of incompetence thrown in for good measure.

That too.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 11:17 PM Last edited by HarVee : 13th Sep 2018 at 11:27 PM.
I think that's the same argument I saw under the tweet. I'm not even sure if I understand it - So some EPs weren't developed by the actual Gurus and that's what he tries to imply?
But even if that's the case - No one talked about who was responsible for the packs. It's just about how many packs the Simmers got and that was between 2 to 3 EP per year (only got 1 EP in Winter 2009 but TS3 was only released in June 2009). He also could've clarified it if he thought it was relevant to mention who created the packs. The way he said it just makes it a lie.
Can't say for the argument your referencing. To clarify, the post of mine above was intended to be sarcasm. I probably should have put the rofl smiley face or the jester smiley somewhere.

I don't even understand half of the things these Gurus say anymore. It's at the point where they're used not to communicate with the fans about upcoming projects, but rather to stir controversy among the user base. What's interesting is that strategy actually seems to be working.

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I guess misleading people is part of their "improving communication" motto, aye? Though can't pinpoint, but their plan does help a satisfying result for me: not bother opening Grant's linked tweet again

Y'know it might just be. If they can create mass confusion among the player base, they then can use the confusion to manipulate people into believing communication has improved. This tactic is the same used by every dictator. And is EA not a figurative dictator of the LifeSim market?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#68 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 4:05 AM

Lol what the fuck, Grant? Did he forget how easy it is to fact check that shit? Who let this man back no twitter?

The Receptacle still lives!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#69 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 10:29 AM
TS1 and TS2 we did - I can't actually remember TS3 but I think it was still the twice a year EP? Weren't stuff packs completely parallel and not connected to or interleaved with the EP release schedule? So Grant can be a bit "difficult" but the internet is full of difficult people, we're not so vulnerable we need protecting from his ways. The game is 14+ not 4+

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#70 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
TS1 and TS2 we did - I can't actually remember TS3 but I think it was still the twice a year EP? Weren't stuff packs completely parallel and not connected to or interleaved with the EP release schedule? So Grant can be a bit "difficult" but the internet is full of difficult people, we're not so vulnerable we need protecting from his ways. The game is 14+ not 4+
It was just about EP - Not SP, not store content.
TS3 was released June 2009 and November 2009 we had the first EP (World Adventures)
2010 - 2 EP (Ambitions, Late Night)
2011 - 2 EP (Generations, Pets)
2012 - 3 EP (Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons)
2013 - 3 EP (University Life, Island Paradise, Into The Future)

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding you, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounded like you're saying him being "difficult" is an excuse to look past it? And I just can't agree with that. The amount of released EP per year is a simple fact everyone can check within 10 seconds on Wikipedia and I find it so insulting that he straight out tells people on Twitter "nope, you didn't get that many EP". This is like a certain president yelling "fake news" at scientific facts.
Also, he's an official SimGuru - Someone who has a SimGuru account to stay in touch with fans and communicate with them. If you're chosen to represent your company/game in public like that and you're a grown man then you really should think twice about things you tweet.

I feel like I sound like a really old conservative grandma who complains about people's manners on the internet I just think there's a certain type of professionalism you should keep and refrain from lying about facts everyone can easily check upon, even if it's just some "casual tweets". Now excuse me, I think I need to tell some kids to get off my lawn
Mad Poster
#71 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 3:26 PM
Few gurus will do just about anything to make the game look fine, even If blatantly lying in our face. Yeah, keep on pulling our mistrust strings.

Field Researcher
#72 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by luxford

Grant is one of the most toxic PR profiles I have ever seen. I’m glad people are calling him out on that lie on Twitter. He is, by his own account, in a top leadership position at Maxis working on this game. There is absolutely no excuse for being so uninformed about your own company’s operations! Especially with something so trivial, is that how they make themselves feel good about the measly progress they have made with this game? By basically denying reality? Pathetic.
Scholar
Original Poster
#73 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
Grant is one of the most toxic PR profiles I have ever seen. I’m glad people are calling him out on that lie on Twitter. He is, by his own account, in a top leadership position at Maxis working on this game. There is absolutely no excuse for being so uninformed about your own company’s operations! Especially with something so trivial, is that how they make themselves feel good about the measly progress they have made with this game? By basically denying reality? Pathetic.

How can those gurus be that mind numbingly ignorant about their own products? What kind of people do EA even hire?
Field Researcher
#74 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
How can those gurus be that mind numbingly ignorant about their own products? What kind of people do EA even hire?

That is a great question. However, I can’t answer that with any certainty. IMO it must be one of their internal goals. Forget the past, it never happened and bash it when it did happen. Grant has worked at Maxis for 12+ years, he knows they shipped two EP/year consecutively for both TS2 and TS3’s life cycles. Why he chooses to openly deny that; who knows. He’s probably bored at work.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 9:52 PM
Today, 14 years ago Sims 2 was released. For such a long time, many games are forgotten. But this game is still popular. I congratulate everyone on this date. Curiously, will people play Sims 4 after 14 years of release?
Page 3 of 6