Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 5:43 PM
@Charity - thank you for requesting that! I 100% agree that a vampire shouldn't need to be your friend before drinking you blood lol. I also don't want to have to clutter particular sims relationship panels just to have them get bitten. The only thing I would add is a percentage chance of death since I kind of like the idea of vampires being capable of 'accidentally' killing their prey. < bloodthirsty (?)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
They said that it would still show a conflict, but would be alright as long as it loaded after creaturefixes.

Thanks for clarifying. I must have missed seeing that.
Test Subject
#53 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 4:11 AM Last edited by sagaty : 27th Oct 2018 at 4:33 AM.
Here are my ideas:

Vampires cannot eat food anymore (maybe block interactions with fridge or meals like how the 'Vampires can't use mirrors' mod did?), blood is their only way to replenish their hunger need, thus biting a Sim neck would satiate your hunger;

Fulfilling wants should be rewarding for vampires! A vampire with green aspiration level won't get killed by the sunlight, their needs will decay a little bit faster than a human sim while outside but that's it! Get platinum aspiration level to enjoy daytime like a human sim, with your needs decaying normally. Of course, if your aspiration is below green your vampire won't feel so good sunbathing . This will encourage you to pay attention to the wants of your vampire and it's a balanced alternative to cheating, yay! Perma-platinum would feel like becoming a master vampire ;

The 'Bite Neck' interaction doesn't need a relationship with the Sim victim to show up because that's dumb, but there's still a chance to be rejected and you can choose between transforming the Sim or just feeding on him (like shaklin mod but without the deadly interactions, you're a vampire not the grim reaper incarnate and murder wouldn't really match the game style);

Feeding would drain the poor victim energy need forcing him to fall asleep, your relationship with that Sim would decay and they'd get a bad memory about being used as a food source. Transforming would be just like the default interaction;

I saw a mod that gave plantsims some spells, so why not give vampires an spell too? Tabula Rasa! That evil witch spell that erases memories and relationship scores, a failsafe if your Vampire accidentally became an enemy with a Sim for feeding exaggeratedly on him. Tbh I don't know how that spell really works so it may be a bad idea.

Some stuff there are probably impossible to do but I just wanted to show my ideas anyway.
Forgive any grammar errors please, english isn't my primary language.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#54 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 6:50 AM
@sagaty -- I like some of those ideas. Some of them seem to be commonly shared wants by a number of people here. The aspiration level slowing needs decay during daylight is a new and interesting idea I've not heard before. Could be fun!

One thing that I might tweak, though... While I agree that feeding should drain the victim's energy (perhaps you'd have to actively stop your Vampire, before he or she drained too much... might be a compromise on the killing?), I think it might be kinda cool if certain sim personality types maybe didn't get a bad memory. Maybe romance sims would get a positive memory from being drank? Or maybe knowledge sims, but they seem to get the good-out-of-bad memories benefit on everything. Maybe it's time another personality type had a chance! Or maybe it should be a good experience for sims with a vampire turn-on?

Thanks for sharing your ideas! Thanks to everybody that's sharing!!

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#55 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sagaty
The 'Bite Neck' interaction doesn't need a relationship with the Sim victim to show up because that's dumb, but there's still a chance to be rejected and you can choose between transforming the Sim or just feeding on him (like shaklin mod but without the deadly interactions, you're a vampire not the grim reaper incarnate and murder wouldn't really match the game style);.

I could see the feeding partly being dependent on the body and logic skill. Logic to realize what the vampire is after, and body allows them to fend off the vampire more easily.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
#56 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 2:29 AM
http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/post...-can-voodoo-mod
That's what we need, more supernatural mods!
Mad Poster
#57 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 10:59 AM
Also these vampire motive-related ones. Two versions plus an optional add-on.
http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/post...tive-decay-mods
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#58 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 3:48 AM
How about this? Vampires who become Plantsims, or Plantsims who become vampires, whichever the case may be... Instead of having a paradoxical creature that NEEDS the sun and gets KILLED BY the sun, the combination would create a Laganaphyllis simnovorii.

Should it be reversible? Or perhaps, a permanent transformation?

Oh, and the greenhouse solar lamps ought to burn vamps. It's the UV rays after all!

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#59 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 4:25 AM
I still look at vampires as being rooted in Christianity, since I was first introduced to the genre through Dracula, so I haven't ever been bothered by the UV light thing. If vampires have a problem with the sun, it's not because of any scientific explanation of UV light or other solar radiation, it's more to do with Genesis 1:4 "God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness" and Genesis 1:16-18 "God made two great lights - the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness." (This is pretty typical of what I use Bible quotations for I'm realizing... analyzing and critiquing mythology and folklore from the most ridiculous perspective possible! ) But those can be read as making the sun somehow 'special' and good, and since vampires are already such supernatural creatures, I see no issue with a supernatural explanation for why they do (or don't) have a problem with the sun's light...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 5:13 AM
Vampires are way older than Christianity, and many many cultures with a variety of religious traditions have had their own version of blood-sucking monsters.
Mad Poster
#61 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 5:47 AM
Oh, I know, that's just where I first started to really learn a specific set of tropes associated with them beyond "bloodsucking fiends who like formalwear."

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 7:06 AM
Vampires in my hood simply get cured - I find them a bit boring to play.
Field Researcher
#63 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 9:54 AM
Associating the day with goodness and safety and the night with danger has been older than Christianity too, to be honest. Especially in temperate regions like most of Europe and North-Asia. Apparently in deserts the night is portrayed more positively in stories because traveling at night when the moon is reflecting light is safer and more comfortable than traveling during the day.
But yeah, Christians writing about vampires would definitely be inspired by their religion!
Scholar
#64 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 6:27 PM
Shockingly I have Vampires in my game

I have the ghoul mod
and unharmed indoors at daytime
Great for the tricou heads they get to command their entire family in the daylight as well as the depths of night.

The only other PC vamp was a grand but now she lives with a mortal man

To improve this state I'd like to see would be a way for the bleh action to be toned down not off completely just less often
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#65 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 10:29 PM Last edited by grinevilly : 7th Dec 2018 at 3:53 AM. Reason: left out an essential word!
Actually, if we're going to look at Judeo-Christianity, there are some theories that vampires are the descendants of Cain, who was "marked" after murdering his brother. Others look to very early Babylonian texts about the creation, where Adam was married to Lilith, who was also created from the earth, and who was something of a dominatrix. Adam rejected her. Some say that it is because she came from the same place, and that's a warning against the taboo of incest. When God created Eve from Adam's bone, (flesh of my flesh, etc.) Lilith was driven off, and SHE became the first vampire.

And one story I read stated that the vampires are descendant of Judas, who sold Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, which is why vampires recoil from the crucifix and are repelled by silver. I wonder if, the pope being in Rome explains why they hate garlic... Hmmm... Anyway, the Judas theory doesn't really hold much muster, cuz there were vampire stories prior to Judas. But it's interesting, nonetheless!

The goodness of day vs the darkness of the undead is an interesting angle I'd never considered. Thanks for sharing that with us Zarathustra!

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#66 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 4:34 AM
So someone who comes from the same earth as you constitutes incest, but your very own rib is fine. XD
Field Researcher
#67 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 10:00 AM
I hate to turn this into a discussion about legends and mythology, but really @grinevilly (and I don't mean to attack you personally, you just hit a button :P), that's just Christians trying to explain and write about vampires, inspired by their religion. Lilith as a vampire is a relatively popular trope, true, but like @kestrellyn said, blood-sucking monsters are everywhere in history and they all differ enough that they can't be the same race of monster. Vampires don't exist anyway! How could Lilith or Cain 'really' be non-existing monsters for crying out loud? Old (evil) biblical figures as vampires might be tropes, common plot lines in vampire stories, but they can't be 'theories' unless you want to seriously argue that vampires exist. Garlic isn't a exclusively Italian (or Roman!) plant. Lilith wasn't a 'dominatrix' either, she asked for equal rights/treatment, not to 'dominate' Adam. Read Solomon's Songs, sex wasn't that creative back in the days . If anyone was ment to be a bloodsucker, it would have been mentioned because consuming blood was a big no-no in the Jewish religion.
The reason vampires were, later, made weak to all those holy things in stories about them is because Christians believed that holy things should help - after all, if your omnipotent god can't help you fight vampires, who or what can? It would make more sense to them than throwing little seeds around or walking over bridges over moving water. (Also if I recall correctly, Stoker's vampires were weak to the garlic flower, not the root.) Silver is an interesting one. It happens to react to a lot of common poisons that were available back in the days, so as a poison-detector it got the reputation to ward of evil. People didn't understand the actual chemical reaction after all. It's also a precious metal and you might notice that rare, precious things are almost always linked to stronger magic in stories and folklore.

Back on topic, I like most of the ideas @sagaty gave, but I would raise the bar to gold aspiration. I would like to actually have to try to keep the vampires happy. Green aspiration should come with a motive decay that's still more reasonable, but not 'normal'.
I'd also like different blood-sucking and -suckee animations, if you're friends and in a good mood you should react differently than if you're a stranger after all!
Mad Poster
#68 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
Lilith as a vampire is a relatively popular trope, true, but like @kestrellyn said, blood-sucking monsters are everywhere in history and they all differ enough that they can't be the same race of monster. Vampires don't exist anyway! How could Lilith or Cain 'really' be non-existing monsters for crying out loud?

Do you have proof that Lilith and Cain existed?

I always thought that silver was werewolves, not vampires.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 10:22 PM
Silver was considered magical and believed to be effective against several different kinds of evil/monsters depending on which culture the legends were from.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 10:25 PM
Unless my sources are wrong, silver being effective against werewolves in particular was popularized in a 1941 movie called The Wolf Man.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Field Researcher
#71 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Do you have proof that Lilith and Cain existed?

Oh don't get me wrong, personally I don't believe they are in any shape or form historical figures, but for the sake of the argument to not delve into a discussion about historical science etc., I won't go into that. It's not relevant. If you want to say that, for example, Lilith is the Mother Vampire, you have to prove BOTH the reality of a historical Lilith and Vampires. Same with all the others. Real (non-fictionalized) people can't be fictional creatures.
Silver is werewolves too! Also witches and other monsters. People like to recycle magic talismans for all kinds of (perceived) dangers. :p
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#72 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 11:27 PM
Some folks are taking this whole thing way too seriously and totally out of context. WHO CARES? Vampires don't exist. We weren't talking about where they REALLY came from. We were discussing origin theories of a fantasy. In "real" terms, the only thing reality-based is that these creatures DO exist in the imagination of mankind, and we delved into some of the possible reasons why these imaginary creatures persist throughout various cultures, consistently and with similarities around the globe. There's some clever back stories. They're interesting. It's supposed to be fun. Turning this into some kind of debate about the historical accuracy of either Lilith or Cain, as the mother or father of FAKE creatures is a level of absurdity I have difficulty even fathoming.

And besides, we ALL know that the TRUE origin of vampires is unquestionably and undeniably those spawned from Count Armando Roennigke, Count Cooper Baena, Contessa Arcadia Andrews and/or Contessa Shannon Copur (WARNING: these are their "True" [file] Names... Names may be randomized in your downtown. Not all pieces sold with all sets. Extra pieces sold separately. See owners manual for more details). >=)

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#73 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 11:35 PM
Why shouldn't we talk about it? It's an interesting subject.

Mad Poster
#74 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 11:46 PM
My understanding of Lillith is that basically she's an entirely Jewish myth that came about because there are actually two conflicting creation stories in Genesis, woven into a single narrative by a later editor - one where the first man and the first woman are created on the same day as equals, and one where Adam is created alone and then Eve is later created from his rib. The Talmud then resolved the inconsistency by saying there were two women, and the first one was Lillith, which means "night" in Hebrew, who was kicked out for demanding to be equal. She wasn't a "dominatrix", lol. and I've never heard of her drinking blood, either. I'm not sure what Babylonian texts you mean, unless you're talking about some Talmudic texts from that time period.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 12:39 AM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 8th Dec 2018 at 2:33 AM.
I don't have near enough of an attention span to hold grudges, but if you push me, don't expect me not to push back. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, though.

I expect this spat's gone on long enough, though. So back to the vampires. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Over time, some attributes now regarded as integral became incorporated into the vampire's profile: fangs and vulnerability to sunlight appeared over the course of the 19th century, with Varney the Vampire and Count Dracula both bearing protruding teeth,[158] and Murnau's Nosferatu (1922) fearing daylight.[159] The cloak appeared in stage productions of the 1920s, with a high collar introduced by playwright Hamilton Deane to help Dracula 'vanish' on stage.[160] Lord Ruthven and Varney were able to be healed by moonlight, although no account of this is known in traditional folklore.[161] Implied though not often explicitly documented in folklore, immortality is one attribute which features heavily in vampire film and literature. Much is made of the price of eternal life, namely the incessant need for blood of former equals.[162]

Page 3 of 4