Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 4:16 AM Last edited by pretenshus : 19th Oct 2018 at 2:33 PM.
Default Very loaded question... do you have fun playing as a kid?
Hey guys, very broad open-ended question simply because I have NEVER played exclusively as a child. Maybe a switch over to make sure they do their homework, sleep, and generally stay alive but never actually played from their perspective too much. In my defense, I didn't find a skin and clothing I liked for children until last year. So my question is, with all the restrictions kids seem to have, they must be fun to some extent and its obvious people play as them far more than I do. What exactly are those "features" you enjoy with kids?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 4:30 AM
I love playing from the kids' perspective. I purposely build orphanages full of them just to play around with different combos of personalities. I once made an genius kid who created an army out of the other kids' imaginary friends using the chemistry set. It was a thing of beauty.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 5:26 AM Last edited by igazor : 19th Oct 2018 at 6:13 PM.
I let children be silly and, for most of them but there will be exceptions, have fun with their imaginary role playing games and stuff for a few sim days. Then most of them get serious, do homework, and help out around the house if their traits allow it and they aren't going to be total rebels from the beginning. This is where I try out different potential hobbies on them until I find ones that seem to be good fits with what I imagine their personalities will be.

Socializing with other children and older non-family sims can be really challenging because most children lack charisma to any great extent. I like the challenge even though it can take entire days or more to make a friend as strong as an older sim can typically do by saying hello and asking how their day was. And if a sim prefers the company of animals to that of people, this is where it usually first shows up.

Although so limited in what they can do even with the Children Can and other mods in play, I see that age stage as a tiny bundle of nothing but potential soon to be realized.
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 5:45 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 19th Oct 2018 at 6:18 AM.
I think that they actually could be more fun to play with if there were more stuff to do with them kind of like the way that children on Sims 2 are. I really love the new stuff that it introduced such as the tree house. Now I could make the kids on The Little Rascals and make a women hater club with the gender discrimination feature and throw water balloons and stuff at them. Tea parties,playing pretend and dressing up and afterschool activities although it would really be cool that they made it so that you would be actually be able see them in action attending those classes and watching them engage with those activities while also having the power to control them,watch them interact with friends and some interactive sport activities would be really lovely to see in action but I do love the slumber parties that they could have. I was disappointed though by the lack the new interactions that it has especially while playing Sims 2 a good chunk of time. That would have been a perfect opportunity to bring back the beloved Marco Polo,cops and robbers,red hands,children snuggling with their parents,slinging food across the table which could be expanded with a food fight option and wreck mayhem upon the school's cafeteria which could be followed up in a school dlc pack and jumping on beds and sofas,secret handshakes and etc and why are there only 2 mean interactions which are argue and scare which leads up to fight? How would you be able to create a truly evil child if you only have those measly options to choose from? I forgot that there's a stealing candy from a toddler interaction but that's pretty much it. With a few more added mean interactions it would more interesting and fun to play as an evil child. So many good features it came with and yet so many missed opportunities. Overall I really think Generations is a really good expansion pack that expanded on what your sims could do and but with some more development time it would've been an amazing pack that blew would blow people minds away with all the new stuff they could do with it. I'm sure that I had missed plenty of good stuff but that's all I had got.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 7:23 AM
Tbh I only play kids when for a specific reason. My family is normally large, 8 sims, and they have to fend for themselves. I probably should play them a bit more.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 7:51 AM
The main reason I never really cared for playing with them too much was due to the fact that they could hardly do anything that older Sims could that they really should have been able to. So many little things that kids were locked out of doing. After the "No Stretch Series" mod came along they've been much more fun since they're not so helpless anymore.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 10:10 AM
Children often act as agents of change in my game. They offer the opportunity to see the world and its social networks through fresh eyes and with a fresh mind every generation. Which can lead to questions adults know not to ask, like "Why are we never visiting Grandpa?" or "Where does Mommy go when Daddy is at work?"
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#8 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 5:56 PM
I myself sometimes actually play as a sim or child depending on what age I've got up to, similar to the "Surrounded by idiots" challenge, but I have a sim have a baby, then when the baby is born, I play with them until their time is up, and I find it a lot fun watching how my sim (which basically is me) ages up and what careers I'll do with my sim, hard to explain lol. But other than that, I mostly play with households that at least have 1 child/toddler in them, I love to see them playing tag and play with their imagination and playing pretend in their lil' costumes, as well have them learn skills for when they grow up

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Instructor
#9 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 12:00 AM
I didn't like playing as a child until I got some of the mods that allow them to do more. Just on their own I find playing kids to be really boring, but once they could do a bit more and I found some nice CAS items for them it got a bit more interesting. I still don't play them a lot or for very long, but at least I don't hate it.

I'm trying to make myself stop making kids that always do their homework and are never brats though xD
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 6:54 AM
I think one of the reasons that I do not play kids much is due to things like this. I have made a cool playground and sent my family sim kid there, and no other kids show up. If other kids were there for them to play together it would be more fun. Instead my sim is there all alone.
Test Subject
#11 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 10:27 AM
@daisylee I got into the habit of generously using MC to make sure my children and teens meet each other outside of school.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
Hey guys, very broad open-ended question simply because I have NEVER played exclusively as a child. Maybe a switch over to make sure they do their homework, sleep, and generally stay alive but never actually played from their perspective too much. In my defense, I didn't find a skin and clothing I liked for children until last year. So my question is, with all the restrictions kids seem to have, they must be fun to some extent and its obvious people play as them far more than I do. What exactly are those "features" you enjoy with kids?

Would you mind to describe in enough detail what do you mean by "...with all the restrictions kids seem to have..."?

I have read that as a complaint before but confused by it as kids can do a lot although yes, there are restrictions which doesn't make any sense like not being about to interact with infants, not enough interactions with toddlers, can't clean counter tops, can't use microwaves or prepare easy meals like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, can't garden, etc.

Personally, I like playing with families that are usually large and enjoy all the life stages though I wish there was so much more to infants, toddlers, kids, teens and elders. What I enjoy about kids:
-Play dates
-Sleepovers
-Kid parties
-All the stuff added in Generations and various other EP's that added something plus The Store
-Learning skills
-Making friends who hopefully are long-lasting throughout their lives
-Figuring out who has a crush on who if anyone at all and see if that connection is still there when teens and if reciprocated
-Seeing their personalities shine through and how they develop into their own person
-Most kids are automatically helpful around the house but I love how they still leave their toys everywhere which is something I've also done a lot but got scolded for when someone stepped on or tripped over a toy
-Can make money using the lemonade stand, bakery stand
-Can be left home alone, the most independent and can explore the whole neighborhood which could not be done in TS2 which is a huge step forward in of itself
-Etc

There are so many things that kids can do despite some unfortunate restrictions but I don't have a comprehensive list. Not to mention it would be long no doubt from base game to the last EP to the Store Content. Is the glass half full or half empty?

Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by minutegold
@daisylee I got into the habit of generously using MC to make sure my children and teens meet each other outside of school.

I will need to do that.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 11:30 PM
I play legacy-style, so I play from the heir's perspective regardless of age. Well, until the new heir is born, that is. I also try to give my teens a romance, but sometimes I get lazy.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
Would you mind to describe in enough detail what do you mean by "...with all the restrictions kids seem to have..."?
[/spoiler]

I guess since I don't play with kids I wouldn't necessarily know all the restrictions and there are mods that fix some of them but I guess its just that I'm always second guessing what kids can and cant do and then I figure midway through playing I'm going to have to go searching for some mod which may or may not exist.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 4:19 AM
Wow.. I didn't even know children could do all of that, and I have all the expansions and stuff packs for the Sims 3 not to mention store items. I do love decorating children's room. That's my favorite thing about having kids. I need to get more into playing with children.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 11:39 AM
So I went on a journey through older screenshots of the twins in my household. Here's a summary of their activities:
- doing homework, eating, sometimes at the fancy restaurant, sleeping, napping, making friends, painting, swimming, dancing, reading, fishing, watching TV, collecting
and for stuff that isn't in the base game:
- prancing about in costumes and on chairs, going to the festival with the parents or friends, snorkelling, gardening, skating
They were busy little bees! In contrast, their step-brother spent most of his childhood painting and making ice sculptures. Granted, the twins hate their dad for marrying again, which is probably why they get out of the house more... All I did was go along with the three kids' wishes, so while their personalities weren't as defined yet, there were quite remarkable differences. I enjoy the child stage for that reason - finding out and shaping who they are going to be while giving them room to play and have fun.
Screenshots

omnis mundi creatura
Forum Resident
#18 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
I guess since I don't play with kids I wouldn't necessarily know all the restrictions and there are mods that fix some of them but I guess its just that I'm always second guessing what kids can and cant do and then I figure midway through playing I'm going to have to go searching for some mod which may or may not exist.

Sometimes the best method to learn about something is to have your own personal experience than taking to heart others experiences which may or may not be accurate if based by their own perception which is subjective, not objective.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 5:58 PM
It's dominoes from the Showtime EP.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simsvip/6832595037/
Scholar
#22 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 5:17 AM Last edited by mithrak_nl : 23rd Oct 2018 at 5:18 AM. Reason: My brain started to work finally
I only did this once I think so I could sell from a lemonade stand. Or was this in TS2? I don't remember clearly. The idea was to grow up and try to become millionaire. But apart from this I never played much with sims younger then teens in TS3. I might try again, I like the idea of starting a sim as kid.

EDIT : It was in TS2. Because I remember that I also created a store (from OFB).
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 6:22 PM
Sim Kids lead miserable lives. Eat, sleep, school, homework, get yelled at for not doing well at school, missing school, staying out too late... It's too realistic.

Sims are better than us.
Instructor
#24 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 4:43 PM
I find playing as children in a standard family pretty boring, but had lots of fun playing a household of "runaway orphans" - 4 child sims living alone with no adults, no money, and just a sleeping bag each on an empty lot. Of course you have to use certain mods to unlock some interactions for kids such as gardening, but the restrictions you have playing as a child sim rather than a homeless teenager/adult made it a lot more challenging and fun imo.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
#25 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 11:25 PM
I wish kids could get their lifetime goals filled if they accomplish it. I'm playing a sim based on Relm Arrowny from Final Fantasy 6 and she reached level 10 in painting but nothing happened because she had to age up for it.

Also someone needs to explain to me why kids can learn ballet but not karate.
Page 1 of 2