Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#26 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 11:59 PM
Yeah, but unfortunately only one of those Sims was in my travelling household at the time. His wife didn't move in until shortly after he got back to Moonlight Falls. He did however see her while visiting Bridgeport. As she was also visiting Bridgeport at a time.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 6:45 AM
I sure hope so. I'll try it once I find the time to do it. I've been rather busy though, so I might not do it immediately.

But how do I ensure that Bridgeport is the one that gets used as the homeworld and not Moonlight Falls?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#30 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 11:21 AM
Bridgeport is indeed the last vacation spot that I went to. But I'm still unsure how the game will recognise it as the homeworld instead of Moonlight Falls.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#32 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 12:31 PM
Ah, right. I know what you mean now. And I could definitely do it with Bridgeport.

Do you know if there's any way that I'd be able to recover my Sim family's house? It's going to be rather irritating if I can't recover it for this video that I intend to make.

Assuming that I do manage to recover any of my Sims from Moonlight Falls, that is.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#34 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 9:53 PM Last edited by C.Syde65 : 12th Feb 2019 at 5:05 AM.
What I'd really need would be someone that had sufficient experience with S3PE to be able to figure out how to extract the house.

The question is whether there would be anyone that had the experience that would be willing to try to extract any of the houses, or at least my Sim family's house.

I'm still rather nervous about the possibility of trying this method, and it not working. And without anyone around that said they know how to extract data from S3PE that is willing to do it, I'll find myself in a real loss.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#35 Old 12th Feb 2019 at 6:58 AM
Alright. I've done everything except copy over the files relating to Moonlight Falls specifically. Am I meant to copy them over as well?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#37 Old 12th Feb 2019 at 9:05 AM
Well it worked. However a lot of Sims from Moonlight Falls appear to be outdated. And there is a Sim from Moonlight Falls that doesn't appear to exist. Though that's probably because he was added after the household got back from Bridgeport.

Also I can't remember precisely what skills my Sims had in my old saved game, so I can't update all that stuff.

I'd still prefer it if there was a way to get my saved family's house back, since it is rather difficult adjusting without it. There's a lot of things from the house that were important.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#39 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 4:09 AM
Alright I've done that. I've done that here. https://www.nraas.net/community/post63502#p63502 But its been days and no one has responded.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 2:50 PM
The OP's post at NRaas, which I did encourage them to make by way of PMs, has gotten sufficient reads but no responses. It's still there and someone may yet respond, but I was afraid that was going to happen and did say it likely would. I'm not even sure what they are after can be successfully extracted from the existing nhd file that way. Afraid that I have to agree that there isn't a clear path at all to getting resources from that game save recovered.

Not meaning to be unkind or unhelpful here in any way, but the issue was brought about in part by the player not keeping extra saves along the way on hand to revert to and deleting the one game-generated backup save. I believe they now realize this is not a good strategy going forward so at least we hope some good came of this, and I too am sorry that no one else thus far seems to be able to assist.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#42 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 6:40 AM
Well I'm not giving up just yet. I'm still waiting to see if anyone can confirm whether or not it is actually possible. And how to do it. I can't proceed until I know whether or not it is actually possible. If it turns out that it is possible, but there isn't anyone that would be able to tell me how to do it, I suppose I could study how to do it. But I can't really do that unless I actually know that it's possible. It would be pointless to study how to do various things in S3PE if what I'm aiming for isn't going to be possible.

The only reason I deleted the backups was because I wanted to save disc space. And now that I know that things like this can happen, I can start to make backups. I would still like to be able to verify whether what I'm after is possible or not. Because until then, I'm lacking the confidence to find solutions. While I did manage to recover some things, they are quite outdated. And I have no idea how I'm ever going to get everything back to how I had it, or near enough.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 4:29 PM
Maybe no one else actually knows though, no one still active in the TS3 community does, or it's really a case by case thing. If that were my save and this were really that important to me, I wouldn't be studying anything. I might be tempted to be all over a copy of it in S3PE (if that's really the only resource left to use now having exhausted all other attempts) clicking on stuff all over the place looking for resources that might seem familiar in some way. Sometimes these things come down to more art than science, especially when in previously undocumented territory -- i.e., this isn't what package editors are really intended to do.

But honestly, no I wouldn't really be doing that. I would be using my time to re-create and adjust things as best I could from scratch or the nearest available starting point. They won't be exactly as they were, especially when working from memory, but the point is to get back to place where I could play forward and begin having fun again. When operating without viable backups one has to accept the risk that things can become unrecoverable exactly as they once were. This is true of all things related to computers, not just sims games.

And if that were just too stressful to cope with, I would probably be sad but begin a new game.
Alchemist
#44 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 4:46 PM
I agree with Igazor. It might be easier to re-create the sims and then adjust their relationships and skills with the MC. And those sims from Bridgeport - morrigan and the rest - can easily be copied from Bridgeport again. If any of the lost sims and/or lots are at some point saved to the Saved Sims or Library Folder, that helps things even further, since those should be okay to use even though the town itself is borked.
Site Helper
#45 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 5:06 PM
Quote:
It would be pointless to study how to do various things in S3PE if what I'm aiming for isn't going to be possible.

No, it's not completely pointless. It might not be helpful, but it does give you a better idea of what actually can be done with S3PE and how you might do it. I cannot tell you that it is guaranteed to be possible to extract sims and/or lots from a saved game if you try it, but I can guarantee that if you do not try it then it will never happen even if it turns out that it was possible. At worst, you're in the same position that you are in right now. (Assuming that you do remember to work on copies made for this purpose rather than originals. You generally need to "Commit' before saving in order to have the changes kept, but there are a few places where "save" by itself works. With your luck you might stumble onto one.)

But I think I can also state that it would probably be easier to do what you can to create them all again.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#46 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 8:46 PM Last edited by C.Syde65 : 21st Feb 2019 at 9:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Maybe no one else actually knows though, no one still active in the TS3 community does, or it's really a case by case thing. If that were my save and this were really that important to me, I wouldn't be studying anything. I might be tempted to be all over a copy of it in S3PE (if that's really the only resource left to use now having exhausted all other attempts) clicking on stuff all over the place looking for resources that might seem familiar in some way. Sometimes these things come down to more art than science, especially when in previously undocumented territory -- i.e., this isn't what package editors are really intended to do.

But honestly, no I wouldn't really be doing that. I would be using my time to re-create and adjust things as best I could from scratch or the nearest available starting point. They won't be exactly as they were, especially when working from memory, but the point is to get back to place where I could play forward and begin having fun again. When operating without viable backups one has to accept the risk that things can become unrecoverable exactly as they once were. This is true of all things related to computers, not just sims games.

And if that were just too stressful to cope with, I would probably be sad but begin a new game.

When you're attached to your Sims and your game like I am, it can be difficult or even impossible to move on. In my case, I made tons of changes to Moonlight Falls and was planning to make even more changes. On top of that, various houses and community lots that were in my saved game can't be accessed now. S3PE is my only remaining chance, if it can even recover them that is. It's going to look really silly in any future videos I make if I can't get things back to how they were. With that underground backyard that I made in my Sim's house. That was really crucial to any future videos that I made. I can't just recreate it from what I remember. Because I didn't write down the blue prints. I'm a perfectionist. So everything has to be done properly, or near enough - the lines between properly and near enough are barely visible if at all - or I just have to wait until everything can be done properly.

I could probably get back at least most of the Sims from a certain generation forward. But my main issue is that I didn't save their elder counterparts to a file. I saved only their young adult-adult counterparts. It was tedious work having to makeover each and every Sim to make them look as much like their young adult-adult counterparts as possible, as it is. Even with NRaas mods existing, I have yet to find something that would be able to redo everything to my satisfaction. Modifying things in Create a Sim sometimes causes lag - and I'm not interested in leaving their appearances how they are - so naturally I don't like having to redo things that I normally shouldn't have to redo.

I can't have fun knowing that things aren't living up to my satisfactions. Which is why I have to find a way around this problem. Another problem is that there are various things that cannot be done with NRaas to my knowledge. Such as learning what kinds of fish are needed for certain bait. And many other things. There's just too many things for me to try and do it all again. So I can't just redo everything from scratch. My only other alternative is finding a solution that works even better for me. But I have no idea what the better alternatives are.
Site Helper
#47 Old 21st Feb 2019 at 9:58 PM
If you have Master Controller with the Cheats module, you can re-learn fishing baits by going to Advanced>Books>Fishing Books and having them "read" the books for the fish whose baits they had learned. (Of course, this does get the extra fish from each book as well, but at least they have learned the ones they are supposed to know.) You can also re-learn alchemy recipes, songs, or drink mixes (other than custom ones discovered by experimentation) as well as adjusting the bonus to their salary, their career level, and a lot of other things that only show up if you have added the Cheats module. S3PE is designed to be able to open a package for sims 3, read it, extract data from it, edit it, and save as a new package. So it is not impossible that (assuming your game is not so corrupt that it cannot be opened) it might be able to open the saved game and extract sims and lots from it. But this is not something that has been done, or at least not often, and you might be digging around in the resources that are currently "Unknown" to look for them.

(If you can't get things looking they way you want them to, you can always write a story about a suitably catastrophic disaster in that world and then start over with "the survivors." The survivors can either be the sims you recovered, or a whole new set. I know this isn't ideal, either, but without backups there is only so much that can be done.)

Whatever happens, you have my sympathy and good wishes.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#49 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 4:28 AM
My corrupted saved game is actually 3 times as large as it should be. It's a shame I didn't notice the increased file size before deleting the backup.
Page 2 of 3