Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
That's an amazing design. Quite the challenge.

The house itself is done. I just need to figure out the best way to rebuild it into the side of a hill. In the third and fourth pics below, the thing that looks like a floating driveway at the front of the house needs to somehow end up at street level.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
The house itself is done. I just need to figure out the best way to rebuild it into the side of a hill. In the third and fourth pics below, the thing that looks like a floating driveway at the front of the house needs to somehow end up at street level.

Very cool. Did you try the Slope pattern that GA has? You may be able to raise the terrain around it to where you want it.
Theorist
#28 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 3:41 AM
Very cool. Did you try the Slope pattern that GA has? You may be able to raise the terrain around it to where you want it.

Haven't actually messed with the GA lately, but the so-called retaining wall "slope hiders" that mustluvcatz mentioned uptopic would not only probably resolve the issue for the house I'm currently trying to build, but for other projects I have in mind as well. In fact, if it does what I think it does, it will open up an entirely new aspect of building houses on hillsides.
It might also solve the issue of the empty swimming pool requested by the OP, although there might be some recolors needed (assuming the object is not recolorable in-game).
Here's the link: http://www.modthesims.info/d/453687...ions-added.html
I would advise all Sims 2 Lot builders to look at all of this person's creations, as there seem to be some very useful things there.
Alchemist
#29 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 10:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Haven't actually messed with the GA lately, but the so-called retaining wall "slope hiders" that mustluvcatz mentioned uptopic would not only probably resolve the issue for the house I'm currently trying to build, but for other projects I have in mind as well. In fact, if it does what I think it does, it will open up an entirely new aspect of building houses on hillsides.
It might also solve the issue of the empty swimming pool requested by the OP, although there might be some recolors needed (assuming the object is not recolorable in-game).
Here's the link: http://www.modthesims.info/d/453687...ions-added.html
I would advise all Sims 2 Lot builders to look at all of this person's creations, as there seem to be some very useful things there.

Always good to find a new tool. Of course, building the pool only took a couple of minutes.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#30 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 6:31 PM
@mustluvcatz, did you tell us how you'd make the pool shape with just CFE? Do you have a way to make a 2-click deck, too? Because that would be useful not to have leave the game.

No, I didn't tell how to do it because it's the same process as using CFE to build a basement. There are plenty of basement tutorials around so I didn't and don't feel the need to type it all out.
Also, no, I do not know how to do a 2-click deck as I've never tried. I have made shorter/taller foundations using CFE but, since I don't use the grid adjuster, still have to use those retaining walls I talked about to bridge any gaps. I'm a very boring builder apparently. (Although using CFE to play around with different roof levels is fun. Nah, not telling how to do that because it's tricky and very trial and error. You can look at my Craftsman cottage to see that crazy roof. That took forever!)

@ScaryRob
Glad to know something I've said here was useful to someone!
Theorist
#31 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
@ScaryRob
Tbudgett's retaining walls. You can use them as they are, since the walls are textured or build a room in the sunken part and use them to bridge the gap.

I got around to looking at these "faux" retaining walls and unfortunately they wouldn't be a good solution for this particular house. Well, they would work, except that the square that covers the sloped wall cannot be walked upon by Sims, which I suspected. Since the top of the retaining wall should really be accessible and "walkable" by Sims, I don't think I will use this method with this house. I'll just have to see what I can do with the Grid Adjuster, if there's ever time I want to spend a day messing with it.

All that said, these faux retaining walls are very useful for bridging the gap in-between basement walls and the ground level, as you point out, in particular when someone wants to put some windows into the basement wall, so as not to have that awkward gap next to the window - like this:

I also see some good landscaping uses. Pretty much anyplace where sims don't need to walk right atop the sloped area.

For the OP's empty swimming pool, something like this is easy enough:

Although neither the diving board, ladder or pool slide will place properly, due to the slope, even with moveobjects on.

Thanks for pointing out this useful object, mustluvcatz.

@tbudgett
Discussion might be of interest to you
Page 2 of 2