Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 11th May 2019 at 3:39 PM
I rarely deal with CC's in TS3, but when I do, here are my complaints.
- "Helmet" hair, hairs that are way too long (as a male, this actually made me take a closer look how irl females grow their hair) & too short female clothing.
- Objects that are way too cheap or too expensive to be practical.

A minor gripe is that objects don't have even a custom description for it. Back in TS2, I could have fired up SimPE to change those descriptions & unit prices myself but I find TS3 modding too complex for me to fix the objects' pricing & description as I see fit.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 12th May 2019 at 12:16 AM
Fluse: These are mom jeans -
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#28 Old 12th May 2019 at 2:38 AM Last edited by Kylaaab : 20th May 2019 at 6:57 AM.
Oh here's one- the categorization of hairs. I have many times looked for female shoulder length hairstyles. Either there'll be no filter to look for specific lengths on a site, forcing you to look through pages and pages of hairs with no definite results, or there will be filters, but medium length will show hairs below the shoulders, and are what I consider long, while short only includes pixie cuts, and those hairs that defy gravity. Sometimes there will even be no medium length filter at all, leaving me with just pixie cuts, and long- from mid back, to lower back, with a few of those insanely long, rapunzel length hairs. It's usually also fairly difficult to find short hair styles that aren't pixie cuts, and reach below the ears, but above the shoulders. Ahhhhh, so much frustration.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 12th May 2019 at 9:11 AM Last edited by SarteLindsay : 13th May 2019 at 4:37 PM. Reason: a small grammar correction
Like others said, hair being way too high on the head. But hairs that are way too low on the head also annoy me.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 12th May 2019 at 10:15 AM
Hmm... does someone here think, that some creators photoshop their pictures? I do not talk about editing the background to a neutral color or similar, I mean editing the creation itself to hide failures? Like: Ah well there's a huge gap in this hairstyle, but I'll take a picture from the good side and then i'll throw it into an editing program. Done.
It can happen, that you do not see a gap or another problem. People will react to it and there are plenty creators who listen to it and work on that issue. It can happen and that's fine^^ But it's hard to imagine - at least for me - that people are hiding issues on purpose ):

@KatyFernlily Thank you <3 I think I am not that much into fashion, in my world I simply call them ... pants ^^
Mad Poster
#31 Old 12th May 2019 at 1:45 PM
Some people photoshop the crap out of their screenshots, in much the same way that advertisers do. Nothing wrong with presenting the most perfect version of your item, but it still has to be truthful. You can't do it like in car commercials these days where they a CGI stand-in because it simply looks better than a real one ever could. I would run my game in 4k, set up some three-point studio lighting type gig, do a bit of colour correction and leave it at that. I did get my hands on a stack of '80s fashion mags the other day and I will absolutely use these as a reference for some CC I plan to upload.

But yeah the "joke" with mom jeans is that they're unfashionable. Moms wear them, hence mom jeans. They're kind of an '80s/'90s fad that SNL did a sketch about and now every teenaged girl has a pair. I like them. Awkwardly high-waisted bottoms are flattering on young adults, especially with an equally oversized top.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#32 Old 12th May 2019 at 8:28 PM Last edited by Kylaaab : 12th May 2019 at 10:01 PM.
Here's another I experienced just today. When a dress advertised as this:

Shows up like this:

A different length, and spiky clipping!

Edit: Here it is on another girl! Even worse!

Forum Resident
#33 Old 13th May 2019 at 12:49 AM
Oh wow, that's dreadful. Did you report it to the creator?

And I believe that some creators photoshop the extreme out of their creations, particularly to hide issues. I've had that kind of thing happen quite a few times. You download something that looks all right in the preview pictures, even though they're obviously edited ( another thing I've noticed is that some creators have taken pictures in extremely dark conditions to hide flaws ) and yet when you get it in game, it looks nothing like the preview ... though I've never had it happen to the extent of the garment above.

I simply no longer download anything that has been clearly heavily photoshopped in the preview pictures anymore. I just think that if your CC is quality, then it can stand on its own merits and doesn't need to be "enhanced" in the preview pictures.

Edit - Just on a sidenote, I don't create clothing or hair, which I know ( from looking at tutorials ) can be a difficult process, but I like to build. I remember that MS3B posted some of my lots back years ago, when I had them posted at Custom Sims, and someone in the comments on MS3B left a remark saying that they appreciated the fact that my preview pictures weren't edited, so that they could see what they were actually getting. That stuck with me, and I never edit my pictures beyond resizing and a light sharpen after doing so.
I don't have anything against people editing their pics, but I like to see unedited shots as well, so I also can see what I'm actually getting.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Mad Poster
#34 Old 13th May 2019 at 12:59 AM
It looks like a Wish.com mishap lol
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 13th May 2019 at 1:51 PM
@Kylaaab
WTF? how is that possible? does broken cc look that way? And did it look like that also in live mode? that's creepy...

@Pary
I've feared, that some people do stuff like that, even though it's still hard to understand why people treat each other that way ): It starts with lying about broken pixel-clothes and ends with throwing bombs on each others heads... maybe there are some steps between that, but you know what i mean^^
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 13th May 2019 at 2:13 PM
Creators generally share their creations because they probably make them for themselves or to help other people (known or not), then end up sharing their creations with everyone, out of generosity. They never get anything for the CC or mods they make, except maybe a very small amount of online fame.

Still, then why would someone share broken CC then? They get nothing (nor even their CC since it's useless) but a bad online reputation from it. Then why bother?
Scholar
#37 Old 13th May 2019 at 2:24 PM
Sometimes people mess up hair cc and for some reason, it changes the eye color of the sims to match the hair. Sometimes it's just the iris, but frequently it's the entire eyeball. It's very creepy.

DO NOT LIKE.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 13th May 2019 at 7:10 PM Last edited by Kylaaab : 14th May 2019 at 1:20 PM.
@Fluse
I would guess it is because the creator made its morph to only work at one weight+muscle size+breast size. I feel like if they're going to upload content like that, they should at least mention the possible exploding morphs in the description. Feels like false advertising to me.

It didn't make it to see what it looks like in game. I deleted it too fast aha. My guess is that it would most likely show up the same, though hopefully I'm wrong for the sake of other downloaders.
Instructor
Original Poster
#40 Old 22nd May 2019 at 11:49 PM Last edited by grandma_on_a_kiling_spree : 16th Jun 2019 at 2:44 PM.
Wow, I forgot about this thread and now I came back with a lot of replies and views. Thank you guys for taking a part in this petty rent with me because some of my friends who actually play SIms don't give a damn about cc and aren't a perfectionist like my ass. If I posted this on Reddit people would probably ignore it lol.
I agree with everything said, this one isn't really about the cc but more about the creators.When i see them posting these kinda pictures below of their sims looking like millionaire instagram models I think if they're living through their sims as their temporary dream. Maybe behind that screen and tumblr account is a sad, broke and unattractive person living in their perfect world. Kinda sad, if my theory is true. Instead of dreaming, try to become one if you want it, I doubt these people are doing that giving the effort put in the pics.
Honestly, "protagonists" in my sims stories usually have the softer or edgier side of me but not too similar to become self inserted like in the books.
Regardless, the pics turn out pretty bad and unrealistic. In the poses they tend to raise the guys' shoulders when it should be relaxed to look always broad and girls always have insta makeup on with a thicc body holding perfect babies in their perfect home. I sometimes play poor families with poor looking clothes but have decent pictures. It's not the point to be as perfect as possible.
Those shoulders i can't...

And the fuckboys ofc... (which I would honestly date irl lol)

The amount of an effort put on these pics :O. The first one is the uncanny valley tbh, I guarantee it would turn out better without that amount of photoshop.

And of course, the overly tattooed moms, you'll find them a ton as if it's from the same creator. I have nothing against tattoos, my sim girl i'm playing right now who's going to start a family soon is tattooed alot, but she's a rockstar and a rebel. I still don't get the trend with moms looking as edgy as possible.

I hope I don't seem that hateful i'm just inspired at the moment.
Instructor
Original Poster
#41 Old 23rd May 2019 at 12:08 AM Last edited by grandma_on_a_kiling_spree : 23rd May 2019 at 10:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by dlseis
I rarely deal with CC's in TS3, but when I do, here are my complaints.
- "Helmet" hair, hairs that are way too long (as a male, this actually made me take a closer look how irl females grow their hair) & too short female clothing.
- Objects that are way too cheap or too expensive to be practical.

A minor gripe is that objects don't have even a custom description for it. Back in TS2, I could have fired up SimPE to change those descriptions & unit prices myself but I find TS3 modding too complex for me to fix the objects' pricing & description as I see fit.

I'm not homophobic, but most male hair give me gay vibes. I literally have 5 male hairs for the last 2 years.
Damn I miss the sims 2 SimPe, I would edit memories, relationships and family trees all the time. Now for some reason I can't edit family trees and I miss sims 2 "memories" so much.

Edit: I see some people may be offended but I don't have anything against gay people, those are literally what gays wear at my college, the ones that require blow-drying . Many hairs are created by girls that find that cute and I used to find that kinda style cute when I was a preteen. Tbh, why am I complaining about the hairstyles when straight guys in my country literally have 3 types of hairstyles - skinhead, regular old short hair and long hair for all the rockers and metalheads lmao.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 23rd May 2019 at 4:04 AM
Pretty much everything mentioned in this thread is exactly why I have less CC in TS3 than I do in any other Sims game. I've run into EVERY single problem that's been mentioned here. But the most annoying ones of all:

((Not gonna name any names or post any pictures, because lord knows I wouldn't want to see my hard work be put on blast. But you know who you are lol))

- Clothes and hair looking one way in their advertisements and then looking horrendous in my game. I can't even count how many times I've stopped and yelled out "Thank you!" after downloading an alpha hair and it actually looked right. Why do I still even take the risk?
- Not letting me know whether or not a piece of content is high poly
- Ugly hair textures that look even more like plastic than the hairstyles in TS4.
- Long hairstyles that float 3 feet above a female sims' breasts.
- The overabundance of hairstyles (usually male but there are some female ones too) that make my sims look like they were ripped straight out of a J-Pop band or a tokusatsu show. I love anime and Asian pop culture as much as the next guy. So much so that it influenced my decision to study film. But DAMN. Not all my sims wanna look like they just got done filming a Sentai episode.
- Those skin tones and eyes that attempt to be photo-realistic but just make the sims look even more fake. These are especially bad on dark skinned sims. The worst ones usually give your sims abs and shadings that are just...unnatural, unless someone has a lighting shining on their face 24/7. I don't mind custom skin tones to make sims look a little less like play-doh. I have about a million of 'em that look fine. But a lot of the ones out here go WAY overboard and just make things look worse.

It is astounding just how bad a lot of the CC is for this game. Meanwhile, over in TS4, CC is the only thing that keeps the game from being a terrible

The Receptacle still lives!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 23rd May 2019 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grandma_on_a_kiling_spree
I'm not homophobic, but most male hair give me gay vibes. I literally have 5 male hairs for the last 2 years.
Damn I miss the sims 2 SimPe, I would edit memories, relationships and family trees all the time. Now for some reason I can't edit family trees and I miss sims 2 "memories" so much.

True. Most male content makes them look gay. Since most of Sims players (and creators) are female, and what they want are "gay vibes" for men, so be it. That's why instead of CAS items, I focus on getting them cars instead.

Speaking of editing family ties in Sims 2, it's actually too easy. There are some in-game modded items that allow you to do so and so much more.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 23rd May 2019 at 3:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd May 2019 at 7:48 PM.
What annoys me the most is when someone who is just meshing a simple thing finds the turbosmooth or subdividing button, and thinks "this thing could need to be a little smoother" and jams the button a couple or so dozen times - and while the mesh looks kinda smooth, when you get closer it's just a tiled mess - because why use smoothing groups when subdividing does the trick? Would be nice if people could use at the most one or two clicks, and figured out how to use smoothing properly. Recently I downloaded a cake, and though it had some elaborate details, I didn't think it was that... HOLYFLIPPIN'WHAT??? The thing had over 300.000 polys! A cake! *shudders*

Bad UV-mappping is also a pet-peeve of mine. Particularly those who use the clothing maker tools that maps the pieces on teeeeny tiny bits of the map, all the way up into a corner so patterns need to be scaled down to pixel size to look good. Scaling and moving the UVs around is the key! Somehow, some creators manage to combine both subividing and bad UVs, which really isn't weird when you think about it, because the more polys, the harder that thing is going to be to map.

Then there's body sliders that make sims look good, and those that make the sim look absolutely horrible. Sure, it's nice with some variation, but when the hips are the width of two yoga balls, the space between the legs could fit a third and fourth leg, boobs could knock out their hubby when he's standing beside her, but the waist is half the width of the shoulders, then something is really off, and that bodyshape probably wouldn't even have a chance at existing on a human being. They always get these enormous and misshapen lips, too. Not talking Botox, I'm talking someone misplaced the silicone boobs... But I guess this is more of an issue with what people do with those sliders. Some sims with body sliders end up looking very nice.

On the same level there's the skins that are obviously photoskinned, relatively good enough to look good on the preview, but when it's on the sim... *shudders*. I mean, there is good photoskinning, but then there's the really bad photoskinning I thought was just an issue in the early days of TS2, but somehow only escalated with TS3... I've seen a few of these floating around on Tumblr - sometimes they work, other times they're paired with the body sliders mentioned above, and what could have been really cute pictures of sim kids actually end up looking like a creature you'd only find in a horror movie, standing at the end of your bed in the middle of the night, holding an axe and a bloody knife and smiling at you creepily... but in a cute baby/kid pose, because why not? I guess baby Chucky and his siblings from hell need some love, too.
Top Secret Researcher
#45 Old 23rd May 2019 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
sim kids actually end up looking like a creature you'd only find in a horror movie, standing at the end of your bed in the middle of the night, holding an axe and a bloody knife and smiling at you creepily... but in a cute baby/kid pose, because why not? I guess baby Chucky and his siblings from hell need some love, too.

Do you mean like this?
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 23rd May 2019 at 6:58 PM
I'm not sure how poses are made and I don't use them but I see them enough as I'm looking for stuff and I must say... Hands are really, really creepy and unnatural looking. Not sure if I just never noticed before that sims in general have ugly hands or if it's the poses themselves that make them that way. /shudder

https://imgur.com/a/CU6UJ9V
Scholar
#47 Old 23rd May 2019 at 7:30 PM
I think it's the way that they're holding them. People don't tend to hold their hands that stiffly.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 23rd May 2019 at 7:46 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd May 2019 at 10:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
Do you mean like this?

That kid is cute compared to the ones I mean.. .
Those eyes, though. . . *shudders*
Instructor
Original Poster
#49 Old 23rd May 2019 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Then there's body sliders that make sims look good, and those that make the sim look absolutely horrible. Sure, it's nice with some variation, but when the hips are the width of two yoga balls, the space between the legs could fit a third and fourth leg, boobs could knock out their hubby when he's standing beside her, but the waist is half the width of the shoulders, then something is really off, and that bodyshape probably wouldn't even have a chance at existing on a human being. They always get these enormous and misshapen lips, too. Not talking Botox, I'm talking someone misplaced the silicone boobs... But I guess this is more of an issue with what people do with those sliders. Some sims with body sliders end up looking very nice.

On the same level there's the skins that are obviously photoskinned, relatively good enough to look good on the preview, but when it's on the sim... *shudders*. I mean, there is good photoskinning, but then there's the really bad photoskinning I thought was just an issue in the early days of TS2, but somehow only escalated with TS3... I've seen a few of these floating around on Tumblr - sometimes they work, other times they're paired with the body sliders mentioned above, and what could have been really cute pictures of sim kids actually end up looking like a creature you'd only find in a horror movie, standing at the end of your bed in the middle of the night, holding an axe and a bloody knife and smiling at you creepily... but in a cute baby/kid pose, because why not? I guess baby Chucky and his siblings from hell need some love, too.

Agree, I don't get the point of that trend. Five years ago, sims used to be so skinny without any curves and now they look like Kylie Jenner's wet dream. They said it for a reason that one trend rebels the previous one, from one spectrum to the other. I use body sliders so my sims would have many body types (that's the thing that bugs me in sims 2), some look like supermodels, others look like JLO.
I will never realize why people do that, to make their sims look like other video game characters? They could've just added a ton of face blemishes like pores and freckles, because there's a reason why EA never made sims realistic like in The Last of Us. They would just look stiff and uncanny, sims 3's facial movements are kinda broken and exaggerated, while sims 4's are too cartoony.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 23rd May 2019 at 10:49 PM
When creators say an item requires a mesh but don't provide the mesh, a link to it, or where to even find it.
Page 2 of 3