Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd May 2019 at 8:03 AM Last edited by CaliBrat : 8th Jun 2019 at 5:11 PM.
Default UPDATED: EA is givin away S4 BG for free through Origin for limited time
Did ya'll see this?
https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/st...sims/the-sims-4

Offer expires May 28th at 10am PDT.

I was thinkin I might get it since it's free... can't hurt to at least take a look at it.... can it? .... lol

Update:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
I didn't read back through the tread, but I think some (if not all of us) correctly called this a marketin ploy.

They now have the EP's at 50% off ($19.99) and SP's at 40% ($5.99), and GP's at 40% ($11.99).
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd May 2019 at 8:17 AM
I don't think my Win10 laptop can run it but I can try (If I remember to download....)
Inventor
#3 Old 22nd May 2019 at 8:26 AM
I'd say go for it since it's free! I know EA did a free 48 hour trial run of TS4 but I don't know if it's still valid. Only thing is it'll be on your Origin account forever if you do decide to download it and may not like it, and it's only the base game so it's a thing to consider. But I would give it a few days, the 28th is next Tuesday so you'll have time to decide

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Instructor
#4 Old 22nd May 2019 at 11:51 AM
Added to the library(gosh, the only reason I made Origin account was getting Sims 2 Ultimate Collection for free...). Though I don't know if I'll have time for trying it.
Alchemist
#5 Old 22nd May 2019 at 12:04 PM
I looked at it, but only the base game and then Origin knows where my game lives...? Naaaaah.
This was my first time looking at 4, though, and OMG! The Sheer Number of EXPANSIONS! No wonder people complain about that.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 22nd May 2019 at 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I tried the Sims 4 once during the free trial. I'm generally open for it. I won't afford the expansion packs any time soon, so I will most likely stick to the Sims 2, but it's worth the download.
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd May 2019 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
This was my first time looking at 4, though, and OMG! The Sheer Number of EXPANSIONS! No wonder people complain about that.

Expansions, Game packs, Item packs.... I wonder how much money would be spent if I'm gonna buy all of that(and future ones)...O_o
Field Researcher
#8 Old 22nd May 2019 at 1:52 PM
I think, from EA's perspective, that is the point.

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Scholar
#9 Old 22nd May 2019 at 2:26 PM
I'm a bit surprised they're became so desperate with that one; really these sales/revenue figures they're making with PPoint/Excel magic for shareholders are *that* bad? Such "discount" is one way trip (especially if the real content is so absurdly expensive), often sign of dying franchise ^^

Anyway - it's freebie, so anyone interested can see about what is all the fuss

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
#10 Old 22nd May 2019 at 2:38 PM
its worth the price. FREE
I have it and all ep and sp and item packs.
The sims are better than S3 and the open world concept is good. It also works well with Win 7 and Win 10.
The build mode takes a little getting use to, but overall it's good.

if you wait, the sale prices are good for item packs. Only about $5 bucks each. The sp's can be had for less than $20. EP's are around $40.
You can play with just base or you can play with any combo you want and/or can afford.

Theorist
#11 Old 22nd May 2019 at 3:40 PM
You know that old saying I wouldn't take it if they paid me? In my case that definitely applies for TS4. To start with Origin is coming nowhere near this computer. Beyond that it's EA and TS4. Ew.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd May 2019 at 4:58 PM
I'm afraid that if I open Origin to install Sims 4 that it'll update Sims 2 and ruin my perfect settings. XD Plus I probably wouldn't get round to playing it anyway.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd May 2019 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
Did ya'll see this?
https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/st...sims/the-sims-4

Offer expires May 28th at 10am PDT.

I was thinkin I might get it since it's free... can't hurt to at least take a look at it.... can it? .... lol

No, go ahead and get it. I bought it. I don't love it, but....well, I guess that's the best way to put it. I've played it a couple of times, not enough to do what I want to do with it, I guess. But then I want it to be JUST LIKE TS2, just updated.

Really, EA, can't you figure out that's what people want????

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#14 Old 22nd May 2019 at 5:38 PM
I might get it just so its on my account and then I can just download it whenever I wis as soon as I get a gaming computer...

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd May 2019 at 6:11 PM
I think I'll let it pass -- though it doesn't seem that long since they were wanting £48 for it in the shops. I can't remember how to get into Origin anyway. The only time I've been there was 5 years go when I registered for the TS2 UC (which I've never installed!).

The only thing in TS4 that really attracts me is the toddler interactions. TS4 toddlers can evidently do a lot more than their TS2 counterparts. As I recall, TS4 was released with no toddlers at all, but I think they were added in a patch. I presume this giveaway on Origin will be fully patched, so it will include the toddlers and their interactions?

Now if EA were to release a new pre-school EP for TS2, that added the toddler interactions from TS4, that really would interest me. I might even consider upgrading my computer for that.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd May 2019 at 6:26 PM
This makes me really annoyed that I paid £20 for it a few years ago, played it once, and put it down never to pick it up again...

I dunno, maybe if this laptop wasn't so old I'd consider retrying it, I found it a bit too "hipster" (all my sims turned out looking like they should be sipping starbucks frappes while writing screenplays!) and childish for me so I feel a little isolated from it, but I think mostly I'm so use to Sims 2 (and all the EPs, mods and CC I have for it) that my expectations were set a little high. On Sims 2, by this point I can literally do anything I want to do, and with Sims 4 I have no idea what I'm doing so I just can't have as much fun.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#17 Old 22nd May 2019 at 6:44 PM
Already got it as a gift in 2016 for my birthday. 800 or so hours of gameplay, Origin says. I think that's more of me fiddling in CAS than playing, though. If they didn't cull my family tree that I had been working on for years, maybe I wouldn't have uninstalled it. I understand why they cull (I guess), but losing all that progress building the family tree was my last straw. Pretty graphics and all, but at least Sims 2 doesn't cull family trees without you knowing. :D
Instructor
#18 Old 22nd May 2019 at 6:47 PM
I bought it when it was 66% percent off months ago. Haven't played it a lot though.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Theorist
#19 Old 22nd May 2019 at 6:47 PM
Already bought it when it came out. Sometimes I open it to play around in CAS. But that's it.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 22nd May 2019 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
I'm a bit surprised they're became so desperate with that one; really these sales/revenue figures they're making with PPoint/Excel magic for shareholders are *that* bad? Such "discount" is one way trip (especially if the real content is so absurdly expensive), often sign of dying franchise ^^

Anyway - it's freebie, so anyone interested can see about what is all the fuss

This is actually a popular marketing tactic for freemium services like Spotify - you offer the intiial content for free because you're confident that once the customer engages fully, they'll spend money for the premium. It's less about 'losing money' - which is impractical from a business standpoint, and more about certainty that customers who play the base game are x% likely to convert - i.e. make purchases.

I know this because I work in marketing on a software product and it's really not that different, despite the fact that games are a consumer product. The essentials of marketing are the same.
Scholar
#21 Old 22nd May 2019 at 8:36 PM
I understand that shift, but it's problematic - implementing bait'nd'catch tactics requires small constant spendings (so called FreeToPlay model nails it), it's not really the case there, how much you can get in EA-Sim-store for 1.5$ (and the next 1.5 and the next one... that are the mechanics of the trap) ? Ofc. there's possibility that flock happily pay 10 bucks there and there, while barely meeting ends, because the base game was "for free"; who need to eat, right?

Also - getting into para-FTP economy degrades trademark, like too big sales. (like they ever cared of any brand quality...)

Not if I care that much, I was just curious, EA management was always seriously brain-damaged in regard to brand respect and work/trade culture (not like other's are much better), so it may be one of these "well thought, completely random decisions" they've made so much.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Theorist
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd May 2019 at 9:28 PM
I figured the freebie was to entice to buy the packs. I'm under no illusion there :P

Ilike TS2 it's a (well accordin to EA) a finished product and with the mods 'n stuff that fixes things and makes a better more complete game. Whereas TS4 they're still puttin out EP's and SP's so it's not finished. Then there is also the need to find out which mods are needed to fix any issues.

I don't see myself playin it for any length of time, but felt that it bein free it was worth givin it a once over. That way I can say that I at least gave it a try.

For those who have it do you have to play through Origin or can you play without it like we can with UC or SC4?
Scholar
#23 Old 22nd May 2019 at 9:36 PM
Origin only (with limited offline mode which is not really offline 'till you put down the interface directly) ofc.

Forum Resident
#24 Old 22nd May 2019 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
I figured the freebie was to entice to buy the packs. I'm under no illusion there :P

Ilike TS2 it's a (well accordin to EA) a finished product and with the mods 'n stuff that fixes things and makes a better more complete game. Whereas TS4 they're still puttin out EP's and SP's so it's not finished. Then there is also the need to find out which mods are needed to fix any issues.

I don't see myself playin it for any length of time, but felt that it bein free it was worth givin it a once over. That way I can say that I at least gave it a try.

For those who have it do you have to play through Origin or can you play without it like we can with UC or SC4?

Ah, I think it requires Origin to be honest, but it doesn't slow the game the way that it did TS2. I find that I don't build at all in TS4 and I tend to just download the lot I want. I find TS4 weirdly overwhelming in some ways, so I don't do much decorating either, and the ability to connect to the Gallery (I think that's what it's called) is very helpful for quickly establishing the lots I'm going to play.

Overall, I had to change a lot of my playstyle to accommodate TS4, but there are quite a few mods out there that give options that Sims 2 can only aspire to, and that's what draws me to the game for the most part. It's just a completely different type of play for me personally, but still fun in its own way. I don't play often, but I do have all the expansions and packs and it's quite nice in some ways, although it runs hot on the Mac.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 22nd May 2019 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
No, go ahead and get it. I bought it. I don't love it, but....well, I guess that's the best way to put it. I've played it a couple of times, not enough to do what I want to do with it, I guess. But then I want it to be JUST LIKE TS2, just updated.

Really, EA, can't you figure out that's what people want????

All the more reason I'm sticking with TS2. :D
Page 1 of 6