Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2019 at 1:05 PM
Default Hole in neck on mesh
I have a mesh that I can't seem to fix. It's the first Elrond mesh on this page.

http://mirkwood-sims.de/elrond.html

As you can see from the Bodyshop pictures there's a gap in the neck.

I have tried opening it in Milkshape and making sure that the vertices line up with an existing mesh that works, but in Milkshape they align perfectly and even doing the vertex data merge/normal data merge doesn't fix the gap. I even tried making sure that the bone assignments were the same, but it still didn't fix it.

Can anyone help, please?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Oct 2019 at 1:58 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Oct 2019 at 8:19 PM.
The original Elrond mesh has borked bone assignments because of the comments. It's got the primary color look of a mesh that's got comments set to "NumSkinWgts: 1" instead of 3 (instead of having the more blended colors of a properly assigned mesh). The neck is yellow in color and assigned 100% to the neck, while it is supposed to be 65/35 to the Neck and Spine2.

Not sure which changes you've done to the mesh fix, but it does look like it uses the naked body as a base with a skirt underneath, so you could replace the naked part of the mesh and cut off the skirt, recombining them into a workable mesh and giving it proper comments. The skirt part looks like it has workable bone assignments, without saying for sure.

In Milkshape, NumSkinWgts dictates how many bones can be layered. If it's set to 1 or 2 it won't recognize all the bones, and instead sets the vertex weights to the bone with the highest number. For simple meshes like accessory hats or anything that needs to be assigned to just one bone it works, but it often looks wrong for body meshes. I usually set it to 3 so I don't get these issues.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 12:11 PM
Thanks, that's helpful.