Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2020 at 11:01 PM
Default About the Martial Arts Combat Interaction
So, lately, I've been planning to make a mod to sucessfully implement an interaction like the duel thing in The Sims Medieval. The manner in which I planned to do this was cloning the WA Martial Arts interaction and replacing its animations with those from TSM.
Is this possible? And how can I do this?
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 7th Feb 2020 at 3:07 PM
If you haven't already, you should look at the pure script modding tutorials, to learn how to create a social new interaction.
As well as look at the code for the martial arts interaction.
I don't know much about animations, but I think it should be possible to extract the animations from TSM and reference them in your code. There probably are tutorials and threads about how to do this

But I think the first step would be to get started on actually making a social interaction. I don't think you can just clone the martial arts interaction. You will need to make your own, but use the code for the martial arts interaction as a guide. Once you get some kind of social interaction that works, then I'd look into extracting the animations from TSM and look into how to use custom animations in social interactions.
It's a really cool idea! I'd love to see it be made
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2020 at 4:30 PM
Thank you for your comments. Any idea in where in the game files the Martial Arts interaction code is located?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Feb 2020 at 5:02 PM
Martial Arts is a skill, thus you will find it in Sims3GameplaySystems.dll . If you want to make a full fledged skill like Martial Arts, then you should search for making custom skills. But if you just want to make an interaction, then you should check the code of Spar interaction under Martial Arts skill.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#5 Old 7th Feb 2020 at 6:06 PM
Yup it's in Sims3.Gameplay.Systems > Sims3.Gameplay.Skills > MartialArts > Spar and that's the social interaction. If you look through the Run() function it should help you understand how the whole interaction plays out, and perhaps also where you will need to reference the animations and effects and whatnot
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Feb 2020 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CyrusBanefort
So, lately, I've been planning to make a mod to sucessfully implement an interaction like the duel thing in The Sims Medieval. The manner in which I planned to do this was cloning the WA Martial Arts interaction and replacing its animations with those from TSM.
Is this possible? And how can I do this?

I understand animations. If you can export the animations in S3 Animation, you can import it into an s3 rig in blender and develop your mod script, or you can make a standard replacement. (Animtool addon is required)

Even if you can't export the animation with S3 Animation, if the rigs are similar between the two games, just open the TSM rig in blender (there must be tutorials for that) and copy the keyframes from one to the other.
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 6:56 AM Last edited by PuddingFace : 8th Feb 2020 at 7:34 AM.
You can also check out the spellcasting duel code.

You will also need some knowledge in Jazz Scripts. Jazz Scripts are much easier and it's to make two Sims play talk or fight or whatever, you will need to create a Jazz Script if you're going to create a new interaction. Smooth Jazz is the software used to make and edit Jazz Scripts. Check out the tutorials for Jazz Script and you can ask me too as I have some experience with it.

If however instead of creating new interaction you just replace the animation for EA martial arts with Sims Medieval animations then you don't need a script mod or (probably) a Jazz Script.

I think it's better to create a new interaction though. Because sword fighting just doesn't work with Sim fu, it would feel odd but initially you can try it out this way as it's simpler before advancing to a new interaction with scripting to see how it looks.

One more problem is the swords. Animations with a prop attached to the body can be a bit hard to do I believe. I ran into many problems when trying with my Enhanced Witches mod and failed to do it. Luckily the Jazz Script EA made adjusted on it's own with my converted child animations so I didn't have to add the wand with my animations, the script figured out that a wand needs to be added. But that won't be the case with your mod but I think adding a prop will be simpler in your mod compared to the Enhanced Witches mod because the sword is not an inventory object like wand was. One of the big problem with the wand was that the game uses the same file for the wand in the world and the wand on hand and that made things more complicated.

I think first thing you need to do is to download the animation player mod . And then extract the animation from Sims Medieval. Then see if the animation plays with the animation player. Let us know how it went.

Edit:- Check out this thread for more info about smooth Jazz. And I think the Smooth Jazz on this page is the updated one. Which I just found out today so I learnt something new today. And I'm going to test it out now.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 12:22 AM
Thank you all for your help. I will be updating this thread with my progress in this endeavor.
Scholar
#9 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 12:49 PM
Oh btw the smooth Jazz on the page I showed in the Edit is better. It doesn't throw errors with : and since EA started using : a lot that makes the new SmoothJazz better.

@CyrusBanefort looking forward to it

Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Feb 2020 at 12:54 AM
So, how can I extract the animations from TSM? Sorry if it seems sudden - But i'm a total noob at modding.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 11th Feb 2020 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CyrusBanefort
So, how can I extract the animations from TSM? Sorry if it seems sudden - But i'm a total noob at modding.

Take a look at this topic http://modthesims.info/t/579943
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 8:13 PM
So, the basic framework for the mod is already in place - I got the animations and everything, now I only need to write the code... Or, more specifically, TRY writing the code. Well, let's see what comes out of this.
Scholar
#13 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 10:57 PM
This tutorial is where you get started with interactions. You have to know a bit about that before starting with the duel interaction.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 11:06 PM
Thank you. I found various tutorials, so I was confused in which to use.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Feb 2020 at 7:25 PM
So, I've ran in another problem. I did not properly implement the interaction, but while testing the animations and checking the Martial Arts animations during a combat, I realized that... The two sims are too close together for the animations from TSM to function. Is there a way to fix this?