Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 5:42 PM
Default The sims 2 new mods
Hi guys! im new to this forum and would like to know if it is possible to create mods for the sims 2 that create actions such as watch your sim at work and make him interact, or some scheme similar to the sims 4 fame system or increasing the number of apartments per lot. I love The sims 2 but, because it is an old game, the EA didn't have so much technology to add these things, but I think that with them, the gameplay would be interesting and maybe it will bring more visibility to this perfect game. I know it is difficult to do these things ... but I just wanted to know if with the current technology we could do things like those... what do you think?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 3:44 AM Last edited by ankoyume : 24th Mar 2020 at 1:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Agnes0101
Hi guys! im new to this forum and would like to know if it is possible to create mods for the sims 2 that create actions such as watch your sim at work and make him interact

Chris Hatch has done that but it's bigger than a mod, it's his unofficial EP Angel and Nurses if you can find it. You'll get a package of mod really awsome and some you don't really want.
I think there's no limit to modding in itself : the real limit is if your brain can't find a direct way or even a bias way to do what you imagined.
mod UI and wants are nearly impossible though : everything that have to use Luas are out of my ligue. primitives can't be moded too.

NB: possible doesn't mean it will be worth it because sometimes it's really hard and long to do.

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Scholar
#3 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 10:32 AM
I extracted 'Control Go To Work' from Sims2 Angel and Nurses and included it with the Globe Project
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ankoyume
Chris Hatch has done that but it's bigger than a mod, it's his unofficial EP Angel and Nurses if you can find it. You'll get a package of mod really awsome and some you don't really want.
I think there's no limit to modding in itself : the real limit is if your brain can't find a direct way or even a bias way to do what you imagined.
mod UI and wants are nearly impossible though : everything that have to use Luas are out of my ligue. primitives can't be moded too.

NB: possible doesn't mean it will worth it because sometimes it's really hard and long to do.

I don't know much about modding, but I'm learning SimAntics and I've taken programming courses ... why is it so complicated to create new wants?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
I extracted 'Control Go To Work' from Sims2 Angel and Nurses and included it with the Globe Project

Thank You!
Instructor
#6 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Agnes0101
why is it so complicated to create new wants?

I've tried it a long time ago and asked some modder better than me. I think it's not read by SimPE, I'm not sure as I can't really remember and I can't open SimPE for awhile. Just try it and open a wants package : if SimPE can't read it, you have your answer, otherwise...
(However you can try it and see if you could be the one to do it ! Midge The Tree has done some research on wants, I think, try to look for tutorials and advices)

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ankoyume
I've tried it a long time ago and asked some modder better than me. I think it's not read by SimPE, I'm not sure as I can't really remember and I can't open SimPE for awhile. Just try it and open a wants package : if SimPE can't read it, you have your answer, otherwise...
(However you can try it and see if you could be the one to do it ! Midge The Tree has done some research on wants, I think, try to look for tutorials and advices)

Thank you very much for the advice, I will research more on the subject and go deeper into modding, I know it will take a long time, but I am happy that the mod community of the sims 2 is still active, I was scared when I saw that most of the tutorials were of 2006 XD
Scholar
#8 Old 26th Mar 2020 at 2:07 PM
Making wants is not the hard part, the want is useless if no sim ever wants it. Once you have made a new want you have to add that want into a want tree to make sims actually roll that want and that is the complicated part.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Mar 2020 at 4:10 PM
Making wants is not the hard part, the want is useless if no sim ever wants it. Once you have made a new want you have to add that want into a want tree to make sims actually roll that want and that is the complicated part.

But is it possible to do that?
Alchemist
#10 Old 28th Mar 2020 at 3:19 AM
It might be. My understanding of modding the want tree, though, is that it's very finicky, plus you can only have one want tree file at a time--making modding it very inflexible. For example, if a user has mod that suppresses or changes a want, they would have to choose between that mod and another one editing the want tree, like one that adds a different want. Or they would have to combine the two mods. So it might be okay if you're just planning something for your own personal use, but isn't ideal for a mod for sharing.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Mar 2020 at 1:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
It might be. My understanding of modding the want tree, though, is that it's very finicky, plus you can only have one want tree file at a time--making modding it very inflexible. For example, if a user has mod that suppresses or changes a want, they would have to choose between that mod and another one editing the want tree, like one that adds a different want. Or they would have to combine the two mods. So it might be okay if you're just planning something for your own personal use, but isn't ideal for a mod for sharing.

I understand ... thanks. Just one more question, I heard somebody said that it is impossible to create a new aspiration and a new lifetime want, will this be true forever? Will somebody be able to create in your opinion?
Scholar
#12 Old 28th Mar 2020 at 3:24 PM
I have added several new wants and a Life Time Want to A&N so I know it can be done but in A&N they need to be added to core game files, not try to run from the download folder and that makes a big difference. I'm not sure if a want tree can even run from the download folder but even if it could it'd have to have a specific file name so we could only have one such mod either way.
A want needs to have and correctly link it's own icon, text list, want check behave and a behave to fulfil the want when appropriate. Lifetime want is the same and also must be included in a want tree.

Adding an aspiration may or may not be possible but it'll never happen. The aspirations are written into every want tree, the UI, Lua scripts, as well as a lot of behaves. Literally thousands of things would need to be updated to support a new aspiration and even then it may not work without the game's executable supporting it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Mar 2020 at 5:30 PM
I have added several new wants and a Life Time Want to A&N so I know it can be done but in A&N they need to be added to core game files, not try to run from the download folder and that makes a big difference. I'm not sure if a want tree can even run from the download folder but even if it could it'd have to have a specific file name so we could only have one such mod either way.
A want needs to have and correctly link it's own icon, text list, want check behave and a behave to fulfil the want when appropriate. Lifetime want is the same and also must be included in a want tree.

Adding an aspiration may or may not be possible but it'll never happen. The aspirations are written into every want tree, the UI, Lua scripts, as well as a lot of behaves. Literally thousands of things would need to be updated to support a new aspiration and even then it may not work without the game's executable supporting it.

Interesting... Thanks!