Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#26 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 3:02 PM
thanx eric.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 10:07 PM
does anyone have there custom channels up for download?
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 11:46 PM
thank you for this, I started doing this a few months ago but could never get past the flashing blue when I changed to the channel. Very fustrating, I'm going to try this out!
Forum Resident
#29 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 4:23 AM
What program do you use to make the avi 128x128 and 15 fps
#30 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 2:54 PM
Thanks for the cool tutorial. Now I've run into a bizzare problem. WHen I was trying to use my own videos, I was getting a screen of just the words tvstation_cbs (Which is what I defined the channel as in my Broadcast.ini).

Other folk's videos were doing just fine. But now, no one's videos work. Not mine, not ones from this site. I still get audio, but no video. Attached is an image of what I'm talking about.
Is this some kind of weird codec issue? I've even tried .avi's that are not at all compressed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 8:35 PM Last edited by eric etc : 22nd Jul 2005 at 8:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Cecil
Thanks for the cool tutorial. Now I've run into a bizzare problem. WHen I was trying to use my own videos, I was getting a screen of just the words tvstation_cbs (Which is what I defined the channel as in my Broadcast.ini).

Other folk's videos were doing just fine. But now, no one's videos work. Not mine, not ones from this site. I still get audio, but no video. Attached is an image of what I'm talking about.
Is this some kind of weird codec issue? I've even tried .avi's that are not at all compressed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Cecil,

That certainly is bizarre. I am not sure how much help that I can be, since I have not had anything like that happen in my game. My ignorance of anything involved in custom channels, beyond the mechanics of simantics and file structure, is close to absolute. Could you possibly email me a copy of the changes that you have made in the .package file and a copy of your broadcast.ini. Perhaps there is a detail out of place in your revision?

My email is [email protected] ... I will be more than happy to take a look and try to be of help, if possible.

Sincerely,
Eric

Download the InSIMenator at InSIMenator.net
#32 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 2:30 PM
Default Flashing BLue Screen
Hey there,
okay this is for all the people who got the same problem as me, with that blue flashing tv screen.
The only thing to solve this problem is to edit the broadcast.ini in your download directory, and not in your game directory.
Should work then... :-)
But i think this is only for Sims 2 and not for the Expansion Pack players.

greets,
t.styler
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 3:03 PM
KOOLNESS!
We could now watch sim movies that we make and download!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 2:49 PM
Great tutorial thanks for posting!
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 7:01 PM Last edited by Ali_2k : 31st Jul 2005 at 7:06 PM.
Default HELP - TV flashes Blue!!
I can get it to work with the pie menu, but it flashes blue when i click it in the game, any help would be realy apreaciated.
Test Subject
#36 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 7:32 PM
iv tried other ways they have sort of worked but not this good thanx
Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 8:38 PM Last edited by eric etc : 31st Jul 2005 at 8:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ali_2k
I can get it to work with the pie menu, but it flashes blue when i click it in the game, any help would be realy apreaciated.

Hi Ali_2k,

Do you have University EP installed? If you do not have University installed...

Quote: Originally posted by t.styler
Hey there,
okay this is for all the people who got the same problem as me, with that blue flashing tv screen.
The only thing to solve this problem is to edit the broadcast.ini in your download directory, and not in your game directory.
Should work then... :-)
But i think this is only for Sims 2 and not for the Expansion Pack players.

greets,
t.styler

He is refering to the broadcast.ini in your "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config" directory.

From post #6...
Quote: Originally posted by eric etc
NOTE 2: I am assuming that if you do not have university installed then you would need to modify the broadcast.ini file located in "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Config".

It appears my assumption is incorrect? Confirm this please?

Download the InSIMenator at InSIMenator.net
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 9:10 PM
I have university installed, but i got a bit confused when you talked about "Channel pointers" and "Instances" could you clarify what these are and what .ini files i need to edit, and what i put in them, thnks
Test Subject
#39 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 10:38 PM
Default Solved blue flashing screen
First of all thanks to Eric for the simple tutorial.

For all those pre-university struggling with the blue flashing screen, here is what I did to get it to work:
1. Modified the broadcast.ini files in both the installation and the download directory (hey, better safe than sorry). Initially this still didn't seem to work.
2. Then I created an empty station subfolder also in the game installation directory: ...EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Movies/Broadcast. I had already created the station subfolder in the download folder structure. And this solved the problem for me.

Please note that I put my own movie files in the station folder in the download folder structure. The station subfolder in the installation directories remains empty.

It may be that step 1 is sufficient, because when I did step 2 I also double checked and redid step 1, just to ensure I did not make any typo's...
Instructor
Original Poster
#40 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 7:49 AM
Hello Dan&mel,

Thank you for your post ....very helpful, both as a supporting post and confirmation to t.styler's post.

Sincerely,
Eric
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 8:54 AM
hmm, ok, i have gone bak through the tute, again, still no luck, but i havent edited the .ini in the download directory becouse i cant find it, can someone tell me where it is, thanks
Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 10:19 AM
The directory that is being refered to is the "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config" directory. it should work fine without modifying the broadcast.ini file in that directory if you have university installed... it does for me :\
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 10:45 AM
arrgg, this is annoying me now, it just wont work. can someone not just make me a channel called 2k TV and send me the files?
Test Subject
#44 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 5:19 PM Last edited by Enira : 1st Aug 2005 at 5:21 PM.
Everything works here, except for the Text List 12E.
I edit it, and it shows the name in SimPE but in the game it is still 'Change to.../InSIMenator Broadcasting Network (IBN)'
This is probably because I am using the Dutch version.
I tried Hex editing the package (with Hex Workshop).
It kinda works now but not as it is used to be.
My Program name has to be the same text size as the original English, so when I enter a name which hass less characters, I have to add spaces(looks kinda odd...).

Does anyone know how to translate this text list?
Test Subject
#45 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 8:08 PM
Enira,
You will have to provide the Dutch translation. In SimPE this can be done by clicking on the 'enable all languages' and then selecting the '0x07 - Dutch' in the drop down list.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#46 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 8:30 PM
im gonna have to try again, but last time i tried it, one sim was in the middle of watching tv (floor model wide screen). directed to shut it off. then i couldnt turn it back on. couldnt select it at all. again, probably just a bit glitchy will try again and get back to you.

on a side note, is there possibly a way to get the tv to load the video files and start at random sections in the video? im in the middle of making a move channel for my sims. ive already got 4 full length movies converted and ready to go. but its a major pain when the movie starts over every time you turn on the tv. would be nice to get it to start at random spots in the movie.
Test Subject
#47 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 1:16 PM Last edited by Enira : 2nd Aug 2005 at 1:19 PM.
Oh thanks. I figured it out now.
I thought you had to input your text and then make a selection in which language you want the text to be available. That's why it didn't got translated.
That's my bad.

Quote:
im gonna have to try again, but last time i tried it, one sim was in the middle of watching tv (floor model wide screen). directed to shut it off. then i couldnt turn it back on. couldnt select it at all. again, probably just a bit glitchy will try again and get back to you.

This is probably because your channel keeps active.
Only when you watch tv back again you won't notice this perhaps because there are first ads before your movie starts to play again.

(At least that's what I think of your problem, correct me if I am wrong)
Test Subject
#48 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 2:42 AM
Ok got it all to work but not sure on how to get or make any of the avi 128x128 and 15 fps files what program will work for this and where can i get it..
Test Subject
#49 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 10:19 AM
virtualdub. google it
Test Subject
#50 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 6:39 AM
Custom video showing for only 1 minute. Why?
Hi everybody. I have a problem: my custom videos show correctly in the game but only for 1 or 2 minutes, then they still. I have them put in the download video folder. They are in .avi format. I don't have the EP version installed.
Can anyone explain this? What can i do to see them all in the game?
As you can maybe see my english is not so good, so please be very clear!!!
Thanks
Page 2 of 11