Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Take Care 1.8: How to Save a Life (Part 2)
Back to: Take Care 1.8: How to Save a Life (Part 1) Next: Take Care 1.9: Before the Worst (Part 1)

"We've got a female that just took part in a car accident, about in her mid 30's, lost amounts of blood", said the paramedic.
"Her pulse is weak", said George checking Tessa's pulse.
"We need to do surgery, stat!" Jane said storming through the hospital doors.

"Please...just save the baby", whispered Tessa holding on for dear life.
"Doc! She's pregnant!" George yelled to Jane.

"Then we'd better hurry if we are going to save them both!" said Jane, "Move, move, move!".
"Yes ma'am".

"Are you ready Jane?" asked Louis.
"Yes, let's begin people", she said as she prepared her tools.

"Where's Toni?" asked Lucas as he looked around gazing.
"Toni's gone out for a bit, so your stuck with me kiddo", said Nicole as she sat down.
Just as Nicole sat down, the phone began to ring repeatedly.

"I should answer to make sure if it's Tessa", Nicole thought to herself as she got up to answer it, "Hello?"

"Report...time of death 11:43 p.m", said Louis checking the time.
Jane stood over her failure as nearly tears began to roll, "I tried my best", she sighed.
"We know Jane", replied Louis.
"Cover her up and take her to morgue, please", she asked as she removed her gloves.

"Wait, what did you just say?" Nicole said with pain in her voice.

As I turned into the hospital parking lot, curiosity was killing me slowly as I worried about mom.
Was she going to be alright? Did she die? What will happen if I have to live without her?
Not to mention, I broke my promise. My promise to be the man of the house and protect her and Lucas with all my might.

I ran quickly into the hospital entrance looking for the front desk.
Who could I talk to so I could get the information I needed.
I've never had to pay a visit to the hospital before, until now.

"Excuse me", I said nearly out of breathe, "Is this where I can find out about a patient?" I asked the man in front of the computer.
He looked like he was in charge.
"Well yes", he said awkwardly as if I were stupid or something, "What's the name?" he asked me.
"Tessa Luca", I replied so fast as he gave me a blank stare. I suppose I spoke to quickly.

He began typing without looking at the keyboard, "Tessa Luca", he said to himself.
I began to rub my neck as my impatience grew.
How many patients could they possibly have checked in right now?
"Ah hah! Found her", he paused. Sweat began to flow as I became nervous.
"I'm sorry to say this, but she didn't make through her surgery", said the man.

"What do you mean?" I asked crossing my arms.
"She didn't make-"
I cut him off, "She's still okay, right?"
"No, I'm sorry", he said.

My knees buckled from right under me as I collapsed to the floor.
My father and my mother have left this world, leaving me and Lucas orphans.
I'm only 16 years-old and I'm an orphan. Why did this have to happen to us?
Who did this to us? Who hit my mother and ran away like a coward?
I began taking frustrations out on the floor repetitively smacking it.

"Anthony!" I heard Nicole's voice jolt me, "Stop making a fool out of yourself and get up", she said holding Lucas.
When the hell did she here? Did the cops call her out here?

"She...she's gone", I said trying to keep calm.
I would have to get used to saying this to people. She's gone, and never coming back.
"I know...but there is one thing we need to check up on, so get up", she said walking toward the front desk.

I watched her as she made conversation with the man at the desk.
He began typing once again. I was too busy sulking to even pay attention to what they talking about.
What did she mean we have something to check up on?
What's left to check on? My mom is gone lady.
"Okay Anthony let's go", said Nicole.
"Go where?" I asked curiously.

"Tessa may have died Anthony, but her baby lived", said Nicole.
I kept looking through the glass at the newborns. They looked so weak and fragile as if anything could break them.
I had no idea mom was pregnant. She never talked about seeing any men at all.
Since dad died, I never thought she could ever move on since she continuously drank.
Hell, how did a baby survive through all of that consumption?
But I guess that could explain how chubby and moody she had became lately.
"So...which is her baby", I asked.

"The baby girl over there in the pink incubator", said Nicole looking at the baby.
"What's wrong with her?" I asked.
"Since she was born earlier than expected, her body isn't fully developed.
She might have to go through a few surgeries if she's going to make it", said Nicole.

"Great...I hope it dies", I said angrily crossing my arms as I gave that monster an aggressive look through the glass.
"Anthony! How dare you say that, if I wasn't holding Lucas right now I think I'd slap some sense into you",said Nicole furiously at me.
"How dare I say that? I bet that thing killed my mom", I frantically said, "Let me guess, mom said to save that thing instead of her. Am I right?".
"Anthony, it doesn't matter what happened. You need to respect your mother's decision. That baby is your little sister", said Nicole as if she was about to break out into tears.

"I think you mean half-sister. Whatever, I'm leaving", I said walking away.
I'm too pissed off to stick around anymore.
"Anthony! We need to name her", said Nicole following me.
"Okay, how about murderer?"
"Anthony!"
I ignored her as I walked inside the elevator. I want nothing to do with that thing..at all.

And from this day forward, I won't stop looking for that driver who hit my mom and kept driving.
I'm going to find out whoever it was and make sure they get what's coming to them.

"Chris?"
"Nicki?"
"What are you doing here?" asked Nicole.

"I came looking for Anthony. I saw him leave the scene where Tessa had her accident", he explained.
"You just missed him. He's extremely upset right now", said Nicole.
"Okay, then I'll go after him. I want to speak with him", said Chris as he began walking away.

"Is that the only reason you came this way?" asked Nicole quickly catching Chris before he walked away.
He stopped walking toward the elevator, "Yes, sorry Nicky. I'll try to find Anthony and drag him back to you, okay?"
"Okay".

Looks like there's funeral arrangements to be made.
What's going to happen with Anthony Lucas?
Who will they live with? And where?
Can Anthony continue to blame his newborn sister?
Will Anthony be able to find that driver who did this?

To Be Continued...

Click Next: Take Care 1.9: Before the Worst (Part 1) to continue...

Back to: Take Care 1.8: How to Save a Life (Part 1) Next: Take Care 1.9: Before the Worst (Part 1)

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.