Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Picket Fences! Part 18
Back to: Picket Fences! Part 17 Next: Picket Fences! Part 19.1

Picket Fences! Part 18

Later that same night Joy received a telephone call from Mary Lou . . .
"Hi Mary Lou. What's wrong?", she asked.

"Julie has the German measles. I thought I better call and let you know since she was with Arlene at the party this afternoon", said Mary Lou.

"Thanks for letting me know", said Joy, "Is Julie alright?"

"She's not feeling that bad, but poor thing is broken out really bad", said Mary Lou.

"I called Emily to let her know about Julie and to ask if Jimmy had them. She said he had them when they lived in Veronaville. After I talked to Emily, Betty called to tell me that Judy and Mike both have them", said Mary Lou.

"Who was that on the telephone?", Larry asked.

"It was Mary Lou", said Joy.

"I figured as much", said Larry.

"She called to tell me that Julie has German measles. I suspect Arlene will be broken out soon. I was wondering if Kevin should stay wilh my mom until Arlene's past the contagious period", said Joy.

"I think that's a good idea. No need for him to get sick if he doesn't have to", said Larry.

"Hello Mom, do you think you can keep Kevin at your house for a few days? German measles is going around school and Arlene will probably come down with them. We'd like to keep Kevin away from her so he won't get them, too", explained Joy.

"I guess I can manage him for a few days. I still got your old crib and that Noah's Ark you use to love to play with", said Joyce, "Sure, bring him on over."

"You're going to grandma's house Kevin. Want that be fun?", Joy told the toddler, "Tell Daddy bye-bye."

Joy walked the short distance to her mother's house.

"Now try not to spoil your grandson too much while he's here", said Joy.

"It might be hard, but I'll try", said Joyce.

"Thank you Mom", said Joy.

"You be a good boy for Grandma, Okay?", said Joy.

"Okay!", said Kevin.

She gave him a "Family Kiss" goodbye . . .

And left to go back home.

Joyce sit on the floor with Kevin and played with the toy xylophone.

Whenever he hit the bars with the mallet he would laugh. Seeing the toddler's beautiful smile jogged Joyce's memory . . .

She remembered seeing that same smile a few days ago.

Her grandson looked like Rhys Sawyer, the nice young man she met in the Mini Mart. She didn't like jumping to conclusions, but she had heard the gossip around town about Joy cheating on Larry.

"Hello Rhys, can you come over? I'd like for you to bring Ryan. My grandson is spending a few days with me and they might enjoy playing together", said Joyce.

"Yeah, sure. Ryan ain't played with any other kids. He might enjoy it", said Rhys, "We'll be there in a few minutes."

Rhys arrived at Joyce's house a few minutes later. He had forgotten to ask Joyce how old her grandson was, but hopefully not too much older than Ryan.

When Rhys came into the house, he was relieved to see a toddler in Joyce's arms.

"This is my grandson Kevin", she said.

"I think Ryan and Kevin are about the same age", she said, "Let's put them down over there with the Noah's Ark."

The two little boys played together while Joyce and Rhys chatted.

"Rhys, when you were here the other day, I forgot to ask what street you live on", said Joyce.

"I live in the old Sawyer place on Shadetree Lane. Grace Sawyer was my grandmother", he said.

"I remember Grace. I use to speak to her whenever I visited my daughter. She and Grace were neighbors", said Joyce.

"My daughter is Joy Anderson. Do you know her and her husband Larry?", asked Joyce.

"Yeah, I know Joy and Larry. I didn't know they had a son though", he said.

"Rhys, how well do you know my daughter?", asked Joyce.

"Joy came over with her friend Mary Lou to welcome me to the neighborhood when I moved in", said Rhys.

"Rhys, I don't think you're telling me the whole truth", she said.

"What is it you want to know Joyce?", he asked.

"I've heard gossip around town that Joy was having an affair and from the looks of my grandson, I think it was with you", said Joyce.

"Yes, she met me a couple of times at community lots and we went on a picnic. We only did woo hoo the one time when she came over my place", said Rhys.

"You're Kevin's father. Look at him. He has your brown hair and blue-grey eyes. Rhys, he has your smile", said Joyce.

Rhys went over and played with Kevin. He tickled him and made him laugh.

Then Rhys picked up the little boy.
"You do kinda look like me. I wonder why your mama didn't tell me about you", he said, knowing the toddler didn't understand.

Rhys hugged his son goodbye before he put him back down on the floor.

"Thank you Joyce for letting me meet my son", said Rhys.

"Rhys, don't let Joy know I told you", said Joyce.

"I won't. She's going to tell me herself", he said.

Then he picked up Ryan, walked out the door and left to go home.

To be continued . . .

Click Next: Picket Fences! Part 19.1 to continue...

Back to: Picket Fences! Part 17 Next: Picket Fences! Part 19.1

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.