Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Pleasantview Diaries (22, Part 1)
Back to: The Pleasantview Diaries (21) Next: The Pleasantview Diaries (22, Part 2)

Hello all! I don't know how or why, but chapter 22 ended up really long. Because of that, it needs to be uploaded in two parts. So because of that and the fact I finished it early, here is part one! Part two will probably be posted Friday. Or Saturday. Or tomorrow. Who knows really?
Anyway, there's a link to the family tree in my signature. It's cool so you should check it out. Also, my email is [email protected] if you'd like to contact me. If you have an account on MTS, just PM me or comment. I'd love any fan mail/critique. So please, comment, rate, and thank! Enjoy!

SIM STATE UNIVERSITY

Destiny Goth smiled and squinted through the afternoon sun while exiting her dorm building. She looked around the balcony of the Pinenut Plaza dorms and quickly detected her boyfriend, Felix Pleasant. Felix had asked Destiny earlier that day to meet him at noon; there was something he wanted to talk about. Destiny walked towards Felix without a doubt in her mind that today was day Felix would propose. It’s not where I expected. Not as romantic as I expected either, she thought to herself. Nevertheless, her heart pounded in excitement with every step.

Destiny reached the end of the balcony and smiled sweetly at Felix. “Hi sweetie! Wow! It’s sure nice outside today!”
Felix bit his lip. “Yeah, I suppose.”
Destiny blushed and giggled meekly. “You’re so nervous, aren’t you?”
Felix cocked his head to the side, confused. “Nervous?”
Destiny giggled again. “Yes! I can tell. Don’t be. I know what’s coming.”
Felix raised his eyebrows. “You do?”

Destiny flashed a wide smile. “Of course, silly! You’re going to propose!”
Felix’s mouth dropped open while he blinked at Destiny. “Propose?! Destiny, you’re mistaken. That’s not what…I’m not proposing to you.”
Destiny dropped her shoulders and raised her eyebrows, slightly embarrassed. “Oh…well, why did you ask me to meet you here then?”

Felix sighed. “Destiny, this isn’t easy for me to do. Everything you just said is only making it harder. I’m breaking up with you Destiny. It’s time. We’re no good.”
Destiny was stunned, the day was bringing the exact opposite of what she had anticipated. Her brown eyes went wide and filled to the brim with tears. “We’re no good?”
Felix put his hands up in protest. “Oh c’mon Destiny, don’t be like this. We had some good times, but we were just kids then. You want six kids and a white picket fence. That’s not me. We’ll be graduated soon, and I want to start my life with somebody else. Somebody more goal oriented like myself. Driven, and willing to do whatever it takes to rise to the top. I’ve met that somebody, and I’m afraid it’s not you.”

Destiny began to wring her hands uncomfortably while staring at her shoes. Her heart sank in her chest while her head spun. “There’s…someone else?”
Felix nodded solemnly. “It’s Eden.”
“No.” Destiny shook her head fiercely.
“We’re in love.”
Destiny screwed up her face. “Eden? My little niece, Eden?!

Felix folded his arms across his chest. “Don’t be dramatic, it’s not like we tried to fall in love.”
Destiny grew angry and leaned into Felix. “How dare you?!” Her hands formed fists and she threw them behind her furiously. “Of all the people Felix, Eden?!"
Felix scowled. “You’re being ridiculous. You should know more than anyone the two of us are exactly the same. We belong together.”
Destiny laughed hysterically. “You’re right. You two deserve each other.”

Felix threw his hands up in exasperation. “I don’t need this.” He began to walk away.
Destiny screamed after him. “I never want to see you again! The both of you! Don’t you dare talk to me ever again!”

After she got enough tears out for the day, Destiny went for a walk. With no destination in mind, she ended up at the park. Ignoring the high heels that were blistering her feet, she walked along the lush path filled with roses and green leaves. Eden. I should have known, she thought to herself. Destiny recalled how after she’d broken up with her first boyfriend, Tristan Burb, Eden had snatched him up. Since college, Eden had found her wild side, sleeping with many of the boys at Pinenut Plaza and never settling down with one. Until now. Destiny snorted at the thought of wild, beautiful Eden and stick in the mud Felix getting married.

Destiny walked around the park, watching the fish swimming merrily in the pond. The park was peaceful, a great place for one to gather their thoughts. The more she walked, the more she realized losing Felix wasn’t what she was really upset about. Destiny scratched her head, realizing the situation was just one more way her family had let her down. Will it never end? Can I trust anyone?

Destiny smiled slightly. Maybe it’s better this way. All her life, people, her family, had either betrayed her or abandoned her altogether. She was growing numb, beginning to expect disappointment. Unable to ignore her throbbing feet any longer, Destiny found a nearby bench overlooking the pond and sat down. I’m all on my own now. No more relying on others to make me happy. I don’t need anyone.
A sudden, male voice interrupted Destiny’s thoughts. “Deep in thought, are we?”

Startled, Destiny turned her head towards the voice. “Oh! Sorry, I didn’t see you there.”
The young man, Lorenzo Lothario, smiled slightly then looked away into the distance. “Eh, it’s alright.”
Destiny studied the dark haired man. He was very handsome, but looked sad. “Is something wrong?”

Lorenzo chuckled sarcastically. “Yeah. I let my sister get knocked up by a total loser.”
Destiny raised her eyebrows and looked away with a smirk on her face. “Yikes. My sister who thinks she’s my mom hates me and my boyfriend left me for my niece.”
Lorenzo, wide eyed and mouth gaping, looked over at Destiny. “Wow, and I thought I had problems.”

The pair looked each other in the eyes and proceeded to burst into laughter. Lorenzo stared at Destiny, eyes twinkling. “Life’s a bitch.”
Destiny laughed, smiling back at him. “Yeah. That’s what I used to say. I’m done acting like that though; it hasn’t worked for me so far. Nobody is going to feel sorry for you. Nobody! And horrible things will just keep happening. I’m just going to be my own person from now on.”
Lorenzo nodded. “That seems like a good outlook. Depressing, but good.”

Destiny grew excited. “It’s not depressing! It’s the only way to not be depressed!” Lorenzo stared at Destiny, eating up every word with an intrigued expression on his face. You’ve got to forget about everyone else and just do what makes you happy! Live! Choose to be happy! Be spontaneous!”

With that, Destiny reached out and hooked her arms around Lorenzo. She pulled his body towards her and kissed him passionately. Lorenzo didn’t try to fight her as sparks flew in both their heads.

Destiny released Lorenzo, their lips making a big smacking sound. They retreated to their respective sides of the bench. Destiny smiled, satisfied with herself. Lorenzo laughed and cleared his throat. “Ahem…well, uh…that was…”
Destiny chuckled. “That is happiness!”
Lorenzo scratched the back of his neck and shook his head. “You’re something else. What did you say your name was again?”

Destiny thought a moment. “I didn't say, and I don’t think I should tell you. I just told myself I wasn’t going to develop any more attachments to people.”
Lorenzo looked surprised and saddened. “Awh what? C’mon! We’ve really hit it off!”
Destiny shook her head. “Sorry. No can do.”

Lorenzo slapped his thighs and moved to stand up. “Alright then, Cinderella. Can I call you that? I’ll be on my way then.”
Destiny watched him start to walk away. “Where are you going?”
Lorenzo looked at her slyly. “Back to the castle. Hopefully someday we’ll meet again.”
Destiny rolled her eyes. “Oh c’mon. You can’t possibly believe we'll really see each other again.”

Lorenzo smirked. “Once is an accident. Twice is fate.” He winked and continued to leave. “Have a lovely day, Cinderella.”
Destiny blushed and watched the mysterious Prince Charming walk away, a devilish grin on his face.

PLEASANT

Mary-Sue Pleasant lounged on her couch in the lonely living room of her apartment. Breathing slowly, she thought about her grandchildren and how much they had reminded her of Daniel, her husband. She’d been thinking about him a lot lately, almost wishing she would have never moved out from their beautiful home.

Now agitated, Mary-Sue pushed her feeble body into a sitting position. No matter what she did, and more importantly, no matter what Daniel did, she couldn’t fall out of love with him. She couldn’t forget all the years they spent together, the family they created. Mary-Sue hated herself for that. Tonight, however, she wanted to do something about it.

Mary-Sue walked into her small kitchen, her heart rate beginning to pick up. She stared at the black metallic phone hanging on the wall. This is ridiculous. I’m acting like a silly school girl. Mary-Sue raised her hand to grab the phone; it froze in mid air. Just call him!

Making up her mind in an instant, Mary-Sue snatched the phone from the wall and quickly dialed her old home number. Her finger shook slightly as she punched the plastic buttons. The phone rang and Daniel answered, sounding like he had been sleeping.
“Hi, Daniel. It’s Mary-Sue. I know you’re probably surprised I’m calling. I think it’s best I just come over so we can talk.”

Daniel was more than surprised. He never thought he’d see his wife again, and now she wanted to come over. The silence on Daniel’s end worried Mary-Sue; she began to wonder if calling was really a good idea.
“Hello? Daniel?”
Daniel snapped out of his shock induced trance. “Uh, yeah! Of course! Please, come over.”
“Alright, see you soon then.” Mary-Sue hung up the phone and hopped into her car while Daniel scrambled to get dressed for the second time that day.

Mary-Sue arrived at the Pleasant house and rang the doorbell. Daniel raced to the door, smiling at his estranged wife through the glass. He opened the door and stepped out on the front porch. Mary-Sue looked him up and down, smiling slightly. “Hello, Daniel.”
Daniel could hardly believe what was happening. “What…why have you come back?”
Mary-Sue held back her laughter at Daniel’s adorable confusion. “Let’s go inside.”

Puzzled and scratching his head, Daniel followed Mary-Sue into the foyer. Poised on the couch, Mary-Sue smiled up at her husband. “Have you met our granddaughters?”
Daniel nodded while joining Mary-Sue on the couch, smiling proudly. “Yes, I have.”

“Angela thinks they look just like me. I didn’t believe it until I actually saw them.”
Daniel nodded, looking into Mary-Sue’s eyes. “That’s why they’re so beautiful.” Mary-Sue looked away and dropped her smile. Feeling the tension, Daniel tried to change the subject. “So, why did you come to see me?” He winced, realizing what he had said. “You did come to see me, didn’t you?”
Mary-Sue nodded solemnly. “I did.”

Daniel blinked at his wife expectantly. “Well?”
Mary-Sue sighed. “I’m old, Daniel. Looking back on my life, I’ve made a lot of mistakes. One of the biggest ones was walking away from you…repeatedly. I want you to know…I do love you, very much. I always have, and I always will. I’m sorry too, for everything.”
Tears welled up in Daniel’s eyes as well as Mary-Sue’s. He scooted close to her and put his arm around her. “I love you too. Nothing has ever changed that.”
Mary-Sue smiled, relieved. “I know it’s far too late to try and fix things…”

Daniel scooped up Mary-Sue and pulled her onto his lap. “Shhh.” He cooed while stroking her hair.
She gasped and they threw their arms around each other. Their noses touching and eyes closed, Mary-Sue tried to speak through choked sobs. “Just for one night, before we leave this world for good, I just want to pretend we’re perfect. Just one night…”
Eyes still shut and faces close, Mary-Sue felt Daniel’s warm tears fall on her cheek as he nodded in agreeance.

Mary-Sue and Daniel spent the night together, feeling wholeheartedly loved. Mary-Sue couldn’t sleep, however, and just enjoyed being close to Daniel with her eyes closed. She listened to the sound of his breathing until she heard a strange, ominous swooshing sound behind her. Her heart skipped a beat as she realized what was happening. A tear fell from her eye as she kissed the back of Daniel’s head, breathing in his scent for the last time. She sat up in bed, ready to face the inevitable.

The Grim Reaper stood before her, pointing his bony finger at Mary-Sue. Feeling more peaceful than afraid, Mary-Sue took the tiki drink and grabbed her already packed suitcase as her form slowly faded away. She was ready.

The Grim Reaper awoke Daniel as well, just in time to see his wife fade away. When all was said and done, Daniel stood over Mary-Sue’s urn and sobbed. He cried in happiness and thankfulness for their ultimate reconciliation, and he cried in grief for his beautiful wife, Mary-Sue.

TO BE CONTINUED

Click Next: The Pleasantview Diaries (22, Part 2) to continue...

Back to: The Pleasantview Diaries (21) Next: The Pleasantview Diaries (22, Part 2)

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.