Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Pleasantview Diaries (28)
Back to: The Pleasantview Diaries (27) Next: Where Are They Now

Welcome one and all to Chapter 28 of TPD! I know, I know. I'm a horrible person for being so unfaithful to those of you who read this story. It's taken me far too long to come out with this chapter and the last several. Shame on me. I need to step up my game before all of you just give up on me. At least this one is ready, right? Heh...
Anyways, as stated in the intro in chapter 27, I have new skins and eyes! Nobody said anything about the change bothering them, so you'll see them in this chapter. I think they add a lot to the story.
The link to the family tree which shows all characters and how they're related will be updated soon. There is a link in my signature. If you'd like to send me a message about the quality or lack thereof my story, please do! You can comment, rate, PM, or email me at [email protected]. I always read and respond to them and love them!
Since it's been so long, you may want to skip back and read the last few chapters. At least the last two, so you won't be completely lost. Otherwise, enjoy!

SIM STATE UNIVERSITY

Ophelia Nigmos steadied her pool stick, aiming intensely at the white cue ball. She narrowed her eyes and breathed slowly, smoothly. “Okay. Pay attention, freshman. Let me show you how it’s done.” Just as she was about to strike, the said “freshman” disrupted her concentration.

Carmen Lothario cupped her hands around her mouth to amplify her cheering. “Don’t screw up!”, she screamed.
Ophelia jumped, sending the cue ball hurling through the air uncontrollably. Ophelia chuckled through her grimace. “I’m going to kill you!”

Despite Carmen’s interference, the cue ball landed expertly into the red cup, knocking it over. Ophelia smiled and sassily put her hand on her hip. “See? I told you I was the pool Queen, freshie. Maybe by the time you’re as far along in your formal education as I, you will have mastered the cup trick.”
Carmen laughed at her friend's sarcasm and clapped enthusiastically. “You were right. I should have never doubted you; I’m not worthy.”
Ophelia shoved Carmen playfully. “C’mon, let’s get something hot to drink.”

The two girls headed for the cafeteria and fixed themselves a beverage. Carmen and Ophelia had made fast friends since moving into Sim State’s Pinenut Plaza dorms, and did mostly everything together. Carmen eyed Ophelia, who was pouring herself hot chocolate. “I don’t know how you’ve managed to avoid a caffeine addiction. My finals are coming up and I can barely function without my darling joe.” She filled her coffee mug to the brim and took a sip.

Ophelia smiled and pulled out her seat. “Gideon doesn’t like coffee so we usually make tea or hot chocolate. It’s a force of habit.”
Carmen batted her eyelashes teasingly. “Ooo, Gideon. How’s that going by the way?”
Ophelia shrugged and sipped her drink.

Carmen’s mouth fell open and she forced a nervous chuckle. “A shrug? Uh oh. What does that mean?”
Ophelia sighed and raised her eyebrows passively while taking another drink of her cocoa. Gideon Goth was the first person she met after moving to Pleasantview and although they had hit it off right away, she was worried about their relationship.
Carmen bit her lip. “Look Phe, if you don’t have feelings for that guy anymore you’ve got to tell him. He’s head over heels for you.”

Ophelia widened her eyes. “No no, it’s not that. Gideon is great. We’re really in love. I just…don’t know how to get close to him. I’m always so worried about overstepping my boundaries, I feel like he’s starting to think I’m losing my feelings for him but I’m not. He’s so wealthy, and he knows I have nothing and no one. I’m afraid if I pursue him too much, he’ll think I’m in this for the wrong reasons." Ophelia clicked her nails on the table, pausing to think. "That probably sounds ridiculous, but I’m just afraid to lose him. I’ve never met anyone like him before and I don’t know what’s okay and what’s not. We’re from different worlds.” Ophelia looked sideways nervously. Neither Carmen or Gideon had any idea of the “world” Ophelia came from.
Carmen shrugged. “Well, it’s not totally ridiculous. What I mean is, you certainly wouldn’t want him getting the wrong idea. But, I don’t think he would. Listen, I’m not a relationship expert or anything, but I see the way he looks at you and I think he knows your love is real.”

Ophelia smiled sheepishly, beaming. “Thanks, Carmen. I suppose you’re right. Now I feel a little better about our date tonight. I’m taking him to my favorite club, the LuLu Lounge. We always do classy things like wine tasting and museum visits. I figured it was high time we loosen up and have some real fun."
Carmen smiled back at her friend. “That’s the spirit! Knock his socks off with your moves!” She pounded down the rest of her coffee and grabbed Ophelia’s arm, beginning to drag her to her dorm room. “C’mon, let’s get you all dolled up!”

Carmen spent hours doing Ophelia’s hair and makeup for the date, and then finally gave her a seal of approval. Ophelia waited impatiently outside the club for her boyfriend. Why am I so nervous?, she thought to herself. I seriously need to calm down. This is probably our thousandth date.
Gideon suddenly came out of nowhere and snatched up Ophelia's hand, planting a delicate kiss on it. She jumped and then laughed, trying not to swoon too much.
“You look ravishing tonight, my darling.” Gideon gave his girlfriend a wink.
Ophelia giggled. “Oh Gideon, you’re such a goof.”

Ophelia's smile dropped and she cleared her throat nervously. “Well then, ready to go inside?”
Gideon pursed his lips, detecting his girlfriend’s odd mood. “Is everything alright, Phe? You seem…upset? I think.”
Ophelia sighed. “Gideon, we need to talk.”
Gideon’s eyes widened. “Oh don’t tell me…”
Ophelia cut Gideon off. “I’m not breaking up with you.”

Gideon poised himself, further intrigued.
“In fact, I love you. I love you so much and I want you to know that. I never want you to think the only reason I’m with you is because of…your money. There, I said it. You know I had a hard childhood. Please don’t think I’m just using you as a free ride. I love you, Gideon Goth, rich or poor. You probably think I'm absolutely out of my mind for getting so worked up about this. Just please, understand how seriously I take our relationship.”

Gideon was silent for a moment, stunned by Ophelia’s profession of love. “Wow,” he breathed, taking his lady’s hands. “I love you too, Ophelia. Very much. You are the most interesting, beautiful, and funny woman I’ve ever meant. Thank you for letting me know how you feel. Although, I was never for a second worried you didn’t love me.” Ophelia breathed a sigh of relief while Gideon squeezed her hands. He chuckled and shook his head. “You do beat all. C’mon Miss, we have some dancing to do.”

Ophelia and Gideon strutted into the prestigious LuLu Lounge and boogied down all night. They danced with one another for hours, surrounded by many other night owls who only intensified the party atmosphere. After they couldn’t manage one more fist bump or pelvic thrust, the couple headed over to the more private section of the club for some slow dancing.

They wrapped their arms around each other, looking into one another's eyes. Gideon placed one hand on the small of Ophelia’s back and the other firmly on her shoulder. “I love you, Ophelia Nigmos.”
Ophelia smiled giddily. “I love you too, Gideon.”
Gideon flashed a flirtatious grin. “No, I don’t think you understand. I love you, and I want to keep on loving you for the rest of our lives.”
Ophelia’s eyes widened. “Oh, Gideon…”
“You see, it wouldn’t even matter if you were just in this for the money because you’ve stolen my heart. I wouldn't want anyone else anyway and I could never love anyone else more.”

Before Ophelia could respond, Gideon sunk down onto one knee. “I want you to be my partner. I want to have children with you. I want to love you and marry you and never let you go.” Gideon reached into his pocket, revealing a black ring box. Ophelia’s heart pounded wildly. “I wasn’t planning on doing this here, but this night has been so perfect. Ophelia Nigmos, will you marry me?”

PLEASANT

Eden Dreamer stood on her sidewalk, watching raindrops fall around her. The water felt cool on her skin, exposed by her summery dress. She was waiting for her taxi. The taxi that would take her and her fiancé, Felix Pleasant, away to their beach wedding and honeymoon. Despite all their fighting, recent incompatibility, and Felix’s accusations of Eden’s infidelity, the couple still planned to go through with their wedding. It’s just so he can control me more, Eden thought to herself. Eden was a free spirit. She desired the high life, many men, and nothing to tie her down.

Felix’s shrill voice interrupted Eden’s thoughts. “Would you please get in the damn car so we can go?”
Eden narrowed her eyes at her fiancé and flung the car door open. She detested him more with each passing day, and Felix couldn’t help but feel threatened by her beauty and independence. Eden took a long look at her great, big house before slamming the car door. She could see the maid making her bed from the window, and the freshly cut grass the gardener had taken care of that morning. “It’s worth it”, she whispered as they drove away.

That’s what kept the pair hanging on: money. Neither Felix nor Eden had grown up poor by any means, but they both craved more. More wealth, more status, more power. They were Pleasantview’s power couple; together they could achieve anything if they were both good enough at pretending. They pretended they were happy and in love. They pretended they didn’t threaten each other or cheat on each other. They both told themselves it would work, that it was worth it.

So on the beach of Twikkii island, Eden and Felix said “I do” and became Mr. and Mrs. Pleasant. They sealed their fate with a kiss as the waves crashed around them.

The newlyweds spent the whole rest of the day at the beach. They swam, tasted pineapple surprise, learned to hula, and hunted for shells. It was a blissful day and the calm, soothing Twikkii Island breezes presented the couple with nothing to fight over. When the sun went down, Eden and Felix scrambled from their hotel bar to their private bungalow. Both tipsy, they fell into bed. Felix fumbled with the clasp on Eden’s bathing suit when suddenly she stopped kissing kissing him.

She froze and pulled away. Felix looked at her, slightly confused. "What's wrong?"
Eden forced a smile. “It's nothing, I just…” Before she could finish her sentence she covered her mouth and bolted for the bathroom.
Felix sighed and crossed his legs on the bed. “Hurry back.”

Eden slammed the door, and Felix heard her vomiting. He groaned and rubbed his eyes, disappointed by the night’s sudden turn of events. After a few minutes Eden emerged from the bathroom, a looks of distress on her face. She looked long and hard at Felix; he’d never seen her so helpless. “Well?”, he said, “Are you okay?”
Eden clutched her hands together nervously. “Felix, I’m pregnant.”
Felix leapt off the bed, enraged. “Don’t you dare say that. You probably just have food poisoning.”

Eden slouched her shoulders; her lip quivered. “No, Felix. I’m pregnant. I know it.” Her voice was barely above a whisper.
Felix stepped closer to his wife, analyzing her face for deception. “Bullshit. How can you possibly know that?! You were in there for two minutes and threw up one time! That could mean anything. This really isn’t funny so cut the shit.”

Eden began to grow angry and her fists flew behind her. “How about you cut the shit, huh? I know I’m pregnant. Don’t you dare tell me I don’t know. I’ve been feeling like this for weeks. I just didn’t want to believe it was true. I didn’t want to tell you because I knew you’d act like this.”
Felix finally lost his temper, flying in Eden’s face. “Act like what?! We've talked about this at least a hundred times, Eden! No kids! We are career people, not parents! This is going to jeopardize everything! How could you be so careless and stupid?!”

Eden screamed and shoved Felix as hard as she could. Her heart was pounding, their fights had never gotten this loud or physical. “Get away from me! You’re horrible! You know what? Don’t worry about a damn thing because this baby isn’t even yours!” She shouted at the top of her lungs, her words aiming right for Felix’s heart.

Felix's palm whipped across Eden’s face with a resounding 'smack'. She screamed and fell backwards, catching her balance to avoid hitting the ground. Lights from other hotel bungalows began to flick on in curiosity; a dog barked from far away.“How dare you?!”, Felix exclaimed through gritted teeth. His shoulders rose and fell in rage while he breathed heavily, trying to contain the urge to strike his wife again.

Neither one of them spoke for what felt like an eternity. Felix took a deep breath and smoothed his hand over his hair while Eden held her cheek and trembled. He stared into his wife’s eyes with an almost evil gaze before speaking. “Don't give me that pathetic look. You turned me into this, this low life money hungry monster. I didn't used to be this way!" He walked over to the sliding door that led out to the beach and slung it open to leave. "You know, I’m not even surprised it's come to this. You’ve always been a little whore.”

DREAMER

Liam Dreamer sat outside on his backyard swing, staring blankly at the blue sky ahead. It was his birthday, yet he couldn’t help but feel sad. The child kicked the dirt beneath him while pouting. He heard footsteps crunching grass behind him, but didn’t bother to look.

His mother, Lilith Dreamer, appeared behind him and gave him a playful push. “Hey there, birthday boy. What are you doing out here all by yourself? I thought you wanted to help me frost your cake.”
Liam pumped his legs to appease his mother and propel this swing. “ I just needed some time alone to think.”

Lilith chuckled at her son’s seriousness. “To think about what? What you want to ask for your birthday?” She grabbed Liam's swing to steady it and tickled her son's sides.
Liam erupted into laughter and shook his head. “No, Mama. I was actually thinking about what it would be like to have a big family.”
Lilith frowned and her heart jumped a little. She took a step back from the swing. “What do you mean?”
A smile spread across Liam’s face in excitement. “Well, most of the kids at school have big families. Brothers and sisters, uncles and aunts, grandmas and grandpas, cousins. If I could have anything in the world for my birthday, it would be a big party where all our family was invited.”

Liam hopped off the swing and Lilith ran over to hug him. She held her son close, trying to take away all the sadness she’d caused for him. The poor boy had no living Grandparents. He had two Aunts and an Uncle he’d barely laid eyes on, three cousins whom he’d never spoken to, and not a single brother of sister to speak of. All because of me, Lilith thought. She cradled her son in her arms before finally letting go, almost in tears. “Oh sweetie, I never knew you felt that way. That makes me so sad.”
Liam frowned. “I’m sorry, Mama. I didn’t want to make you sad. But you should know, I think you need to say sorry to your sister.”

Lilith blinked her eyes rapidly, taken aback by her son’s advice. “Liam, how do you know about my sister?”
Liam sighed and put out his arms. “Remember? That time you took me to the cemetery to see your Mom and Dad, my grandma and grandpa. She was there and she was mad at you; I could tell. I just think it’s time we all be a good family again so I can play with my cousins. Just say sorry, Mommy.”
Lilith put her hands on her hips. “Now Liam, that’s nice of you but you’re too little to understand the whole picture. Angela, your aunt and I have had a lot of…disagreements over the years. It can’t be fixed that easily.”
Liam looked at his mother inquisitively. “But Mommy, she’s your sister. You can at least try.”
Angela sighed, stroking her son's hair. “We’ll see, baby.”

After their serious discussion, Lilith and Liam headed inside to celebrate the boy’s birthday. Dirk and Lilith cheered for the child while he blew out his candles. Lilith tried her best to be enthusiastic, but couldn’t stop thinking and her and the boy’s earlier conversation. The birthday party did feel rather small and lonely. Liam sprang up into his teenage from and immediately helped himself to a slice of cake.

Dirk grabbed his wife’s hand and smiled at her, looking into her eyes. “See what a fine boy we’ve raised? I knew you’d be an incredible mother. Remember the night we decided to have a baby?”
Lilith smiled sheepishly and looked away. “He is an amazing son, that you’re right about. As far as my mothering skills, I wouldn’t say incredible.”
Dirk chuckled and kissed Lilith’s forehead. “You should give yourself more credit, Lily Pad.”
Lilith smirked and closed her eyes, unable to get the image of Angela at the cemetery out of her mind.

BROKE

Dustin Broke hobbled from the couch to the phone ringing in his office and answered sleepily. “Hello?”
The voice on the other end answered quickly. “Wow, you got to the phone pretty fast. Shouldn’t you be in bed with your wife?”
Dustin snorted, his eyes drooping in exhaustion. “Yeah well my wife who, yes I should be in bed with, has forced me to take the couch tonight.” Dustin smacked his lips, the sleep starting to shake off him. “Wait a second, who is this?”

Eden chuckled, amused. “Eden Pleasant. Who else calls you at two in the morning?”
Dustin retracted in irritation. “Eden? What the hell?! I told you it’s over. Now you’re calling my house?!”
Eden rolled her eyes even though Dustin couldn’t see. “Relax, Broke. Your darling little wife will never know. I just wanted to tell you I’m leaving town. So you don’t worry your pretty little head about ever hearing from me again.”

Dustin screwed up his face in puzzlement. “Leave town? What the hell are you talking about and why bother telling me?”
Eden was quiet for a moment before speaking. “I just didn’t know who else to tell. I figured somebody should know." She paused again. "Somebody should miss me.”
Dustin detected a strange tone in Eden’s voice,a sadness and defeat he had never heard from her before. “Eden, what’s wrong?”

Eden took a long, deep breath while eyeballing her wedding ring. The diamond shone against the purple fabric of her coat, bulging out from her baby bump. “I’m pregnant, Dustin.”
Dustin’s eyes widened and he froze, feeling he would surely faint. “Eden…”
“Relax, Dustin. It’s not yours. Felix thinks it's someone else's though, and that’s why I need to go.”
Dustin heaved a sigh of relief and put his hand to his forehead. “You’re not making any sense.”

"This afternoon, Felix came home early from work. He must have thought I wasn’t home, because my car was in the shop and I was taking a nap. I heard him in his office so I woke up to see what brought him back so early. I heard him talking to some girl before I opened the door all the way, and it stopped me dead in my tracks. He was talking to a hit woman, Dustin. Some sort of assassian. He’s planning to have me killed, murdered. He was telling her that the baby wasn’t his and I needed to be ‘taken care of’ before I start showing anymore and ruin his reputation. He said all the money I make isn’t worth putting up with me and that my life insurance was motivation enough.”

Dustin was baffled; he thought he might be sick. “This is a joke, right? Or you had to be misunderstanding the situation at least.”
Eden shook her head. “No, Dustin. I don’t know who he was talking to but she was the real deal. I have to get out of here, become invisible before she finds me. For my sake, and this baby’s.”
Dustin shook his head. “C’mon Eden, you’re a lawyer. Surely you can find a better solution to this. This is crazy.”
“Dustin, stop. It’s too late for doing the right thing. I’d be dead before Felix is even questioned if I go to the police; I know how these things work. I’m leaving tonight. You can never speak of this to anyone. Not your wife, not my brother. It’s going to be hard but you needed to know the baby isn’t yours, in case anything ever leaks. And I need you to tell me that everything is going to be okay.”
Dustin groaned. “I’m sorry. I can’t tell you that, Eden.”
Eden paused for a moment and then said a simple, “Goodbye, Dustin,” before ending the call.

TO BE CONTINUED

Click Next: Where Are They Now to continue...

Back to: The Pleasantview Diaries (27) Next: Where Are They Now

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.